Re: Sudden Power Off

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "John Whitworth" typed:

Sorry, I am unable to offer much advice with the data set given. However:

> I hear a quiet noise which sounds like a capacitor discharging.

I would love to know what a capacitor discharging sounds like.

Rgds,
--
Shaun.

Phil Weldon

'~misfit~' wrote:
> I would love to know what a capacitor discharging sounds like.

_____

It's a high-pitched whimper of despair.

The original poster may be thinking of the sound that can be made by the
fly-back high voltage
circuit 15 KHz frequency Dopplering down as the horizontal drive dies when a
large CRT device is shut off.

That sound plus the bit of information the original poster added in his
second post (just installed a 8800 GTX) is a good indication that the power
supply is whimpering as it shuts down due to overload (probably from over
heating.)

Phil Weldon

news:47da632f$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Somewhere on teh intarweb "John Whitworth" typed:
>

> Sorry, I am unable to offer much advice with the data set given. However:
>
>> I hear a quiet noise which sounds like a capacitor discharging.

> I would love to know what a capacitor discharging sounds like.
>
> Rgds,
> --
> Shaun.

Phil Weldon

'John Whitworth' wrote:
> When I've used calculators to work out how much power is really required,
> it always falls way short of my 580W though.
> http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp. I guess it is
> looking like the PSU is the culprit though, so a replacement is on the
> cards.

After connectors, connections, and fans I think PC power supplies are the
most likely hardware failure points.

I my experience, the failure point rankings have been more or less the same
for the last 40 years or so
1. operator error
2. application program error
3. operating system error
4. connectors and connections and fans
5. power supply
6. hard drives
6b. (new entry) graphics adapters
7. motherboard/pc boards/modules
8. CPU
9. memory

Phil Weldon

"John Whitworth" <sexyjw@g_EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE_mail.com> wrote in message
news:47daf1bf$0$32045$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Phil Weldon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> '~misfit~' wrote:
>>> I would love to know what a capacitor discharging sounds like.

>> _____
>>
>> It's a high-pitched whimper of despair.
>>
>> The original poster may be thinking of the sound that can be made by the
>> fly-back high voltage
>> circuit 15 KHz frequency Dopplering down as the horizontal drive dies
>> when a large CRT device is shut off.

> Yes...that'll be the one!
>
>> That sound plus the bit of information the original poster added in his
>> second post (just installed a 8800 GTX) is a good indication that the
>> power
>> supply is whimpering as it shuts down due to overload (probably from over
>> heating.)

> When I've used calculators to work out how much power is really required,
> it always falls way short of my 580W though.
> http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp. I guess it is
> looking like the PSU is the culprit though, so a replacement is on the
> cards.
>
> Cheers
>
> JW

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Phil Weldon" typed:
> '~misfit~' wrote:
>> I would love to know what a capacitor discharging sounds like.

> _____
>
> It's a high-pitched whimper of despair.

Heh! I should have guessed. <g>

> The original poster may be thinking of the sound that can be made by
> the fly-back high voltage
> circuit 15 KHz frequency Dopplering down as the horizontal drive dies
> when a large CRT device is shut off.
>
> That sound plus the bit of information the original poster added in
> his second post (just installed a 8800 GTX) is a good indication that
> the power supply is whimpering as it shuts down due to overload
> (probably from over heating.)

Good sluething there Phil. With both bits of info on hand I concur.
--
Shaun.

> Phil Weldon
>

> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:47da632f$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Somewhere on teh intarweb "John Whitworth" typed:
>>

>> Sorry, I am unable to offer much advice with the data set given.
>> However:
>>> I hear a quiet noise which sounds like a capacitor discharging.

>> I would love to know what a capacitor discharging sounds like.
>>
>> Rgds,
>> --
>> Shaun.

Re: Sudden shut-off problem with iBook David Empson Apple 4 04-16-2010 02:07 AM
Sudden turn off jacques Laptops 0 07-30-2008 10:23 PM
Re: Sudden Power Off Paul Overclocking 0 03-14-2008 12:06 AM
Re: Sudden Power Off ShadowTek Overclocking 0 03-13-2008 11:07 PM
power off or not power off a pc tania PC Hardware 1 01-02-2004 02:07 AM