Re: Suggestions for SATAII Hard drives

Wes Newell

On Fri, 09 May 2008 17:01:29 +0100, Seeker wrote:

> I have a Abit AN8 Ultra motherboard with a nforce4 Ultra chipset. With
> the latest BIOS and drivers
> I have read these have a lot of problems with Sata Hard drives. I had a
> Samsung HD753LJ 750GB Hard Drive SATAII but fdisk and format could only
> find 196GB space on the disk.
> The BIOS showed the disk and disk size correctly. So any suggestions for
> SATAII Hard drives In the 500 to 750 GB range, that might work with this
> motherboard.

Hmmm... Seems to me that if the bios saw it correctly but the fdisk
program didn't, the problem would be with the version of fdisk you are
using.

Eeyore

Beryl wrote:

> Seeker wrote:
> > "Wes Newell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >> Hmmm... Seems to me that if the bios saw it correctly but the fdisk
> >> program didn't, the problem would be with the version of fdisk you are
> >> using.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder? http://mythtv.org
> >> My Tivo Experience http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/tivo.htm
> >> Tivo HD/S3 compared http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/mythtivo.htm
> >> AMD cpu help http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php

> > I was using the wnME bootdisks fdisk and format.
> > I thought that was the latest.

> WindowsME? That's not going to work.

It IS what MS offer to boot XP systems from a floppy..

Graham

Reggie Hillier

You can fdisk and format the hd using an me boot disk but it will not report
the
correct capacity. As soon as you start the xp install it will show the
correct size.
Why not just fdisk and format using the xp cd ?

"Seeker" <(E-Mail Removed)2s.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Eeyore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>> Beryl wrote:

>>> WindowsME? That's not going to work.

>> It IS what MS offer to boot XP systems from a floppy..
>>
>> Graham
>>

> I did try the Win XP Disk Mismanagement program and that didn't work
> either.
> So I sent the disk back to the supplier.
> So I looking for recomendations for sata 3 Gbs hard disks people have got
> to work.

Eeyore

Seeker wrote:

> "Eeyore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> > Beryl wrote:

> >> WindowsME? That's not going to work.

> > It IS what MS offer to boot XP systems from a floppy..

> I did try the Win XP Disk Mismanagement program and that didn't work either.
> So I sent the disk back to the supplier.
> So I looking for recomendations for sata 3 Gbs hard disks people have got to
> work.

Do you seriously mean three gigabytes ?

Just a thought btw. I'm not that familiar with SATA. Might the SATA interface
chip require a device driver that's not going to be on the ME boot disk ? I've
had no trouble Fdisking, formatting etc PATA drives using an ME boot disk.

Graham

Eeyore

Reggie Hillier wrote:

> Why not just fdisk and format using the xp cd ?

Can you ? How does that work ?

Graham

Eeyore

Beryl wrote:

> Seeker wrote:
>
> > Sata drives come in 2 speeds
> > SATA 1.5Gbps data transfer rate.
> > SATA 3Gbps data transfer rate
> > I was looking for a 500 to 750 GB drive running at 3 GBs
> > I was planning on Partioning it in Win XP and formatting it in WinME format.

> Your partitions were probably too big for the ME utility to format.
>
> Maybe Samsung's disk manager will do exactly what you want.
> http://www.samsung.com/global/busine...skManager.html
>
> Looks like you'll have to select Windows ME/98/95 OSR2 to get WinME
> (FAT32) format if that's what you want, and then it might complain that
> ME/98/95 don't support large hard drives.

Maybe he needs NTFS partitions ?

In any event 'seeker' seems unwilling to provide the full info, so it's difficult to help
him.

Graham

abit.user

On Sun, 11 May 2008 21:44:30 -0700 'Beryl'
wrote this on alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit:

>I saw some reviews of the Samsung HD753LJ at newegg.com, and there are
>reports that XP takes more than 5 HOURS to format the darn thing.

I've never used Samsung drives but plan to on my next system
build. In the past I've always used WD and they never needed
formatting when new.

Are Samsung different? or is it that I use NTFS on XP, whereas
this thread seems to be about a user wanting to format in Fat32?

Folk

On Mon, 12 May 2008 14:15:29 +0100, "Seeker" <(E-Mail Removed)2s.com>
wrote:

>"Eeyore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>> Beryl wrote:

>>> Your partitions were probably too big for the ME utility to format.
>>>
>>> Maybe Samsung's disk manager will do exactly what you want.
>>> http://www.samsung.com/global/busine...skManager.html
>>>
>>> Looks like you'll have to select Windows ME/98/95 OSR2 to get WinME
>>> (FAT32) format if that's what you want, and then it might complain that
>>> ME/98/95 don't support large hard drives.

>> Maybe he needs NTFS partitions ?
>>
>> In any event 'seeker' seems unwilling to provide the full info, so it's
>> difficult to help
>> him.
>>
>> Graham
>>

>Sorry I forget to mention.
>This will be my second hard drive.
>As my existing WinXP system disk is FAT32 I have to format this FAT32 too.
>Also I need FAT32 for access over the network.

Retail drives usually come with a format utility on a CD that will let
you format either NTFS or FAT32. If it's an OEM drive or didn't come
with a CD, you can usually download a drive prep utility from the
mfg's website.

abit.user

On Mon, 12 May 2008 12:03:57 -0700 'Beryl'
wrote this on alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit:

>abit.user wrote:
>> On Sun, 11 May 2008 21:44:30 -0700 'Beryl'
>> wrote this on alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit:
>>
>>> I saw some reviews of the Samsung HD753LJ at newegg.com, and there are
>>> reports that XP takes more than 5 HOURS to format the darn thing.

>> I've never used Samsung drives but plan to on my next system
>> build. In the past I've always used WD and they never needed
>> formatting when new.
>>
>> Are Samsung different? or is it that I use NTFS on XP, whereas
>> this thread seems to be about a user wanting to format in Fat32?

>None of my new drives (I've only bought maybe four IDE, no SATA) have
>come formatted.
>Seeing as you always got WD, they were probably customer returns :^)

lol.
I suspect that XP carries out a quick format on the fly.

Wes Newell

On Tue, 13 May 2008 14:53:12 +0100, Seeker wrote:

> I have seen many comments that the file system type is not forward
> compatible,
> I quote from http://www.buildyourown.org.uk/pc-ar.../fdisk-format/
>
> "If you have the opportunity to select a system from these to format
> your Hard Disk, be aware that these system are not generally
> forwards-compatible. To clarify this, Operating Systems installed on
> Hard drives using FAT16 will not be able to access files on another Hard
> Drive (or partition) which has been formatted using FAT32 or NTFS.
>
> The same can be said for FAT32 and NTFS. However, FAT32 can read FAT16
> and NTFS is clever enough to read both FAT16 and FAT32."
>
> So believing my FAT32 Win XP could not access NTFS partitions I assumed
> the same was true over the network.

None of this is true.

The only thing required to access a file system on the base machine is a
driver for it for the OS you are running. Win XP has drivers for all
previous MS file systems, so it can access fat16, fat32, ntfs, out of the
box and there are also hpfs, ext3, and a multitude of other file system
drivers for it.

As for accessing files over a network, all it needs is for the network to
use the same protocol. The file system on either machine is irrelevant
since the file is processed by the local machine and sent over the network
using the network protocol.

So you can mix your winXP drives up with any file system it supports.
Personally, I'd format the new drive with ntfs. Back up the fat32
partitions to it and then reformat the main drive with ntfs, and copy it
back. Fat32 is not designed for really large drives of today and is really
wasteful of space using 32K blocks iirc. Thus using 32K of space minimum
even for a 10 byte file or an extra 32K block for every file on the system
that goes over the 32K boundary by just 1 byte. This means you are
probably wasting 30-50% of your drive space that you could recoup by
changing to ntfs.

ATA, SataI, SataII??? Yoda Dell 17 08-03-2006 03:00 PM
SATAII Hard Drive Question Travis King Asus 3 05-12-2006 07:28 AM
A8N-VM CSM no SATAII Raid will boot Peter Zenker Asus 0 01-22-2006 06:47 AM
ASRock 939 Dual SATAII Sync CPU and PCI-E? NewsReeder ASRock 1 11-30-2005 11:41 PM
vnf4 Ultra and sataII issues? Glen Roebuck Chaintech 1 08-15-2005 06:43 PM