Motherboard Forums

Motherboard Forums (http://www.motherboardpoint.com/)
-   Sun Hardware (http://www.motherboardpoint.com/sun-hardware-f38.html)
-   -   Re: sun bladfe 2500 NVRAM (http://www.motherboardpoint.com/re-sun-bladfe-2500-nvram-t243382.html)

DoN. Nichols 02-01-2010 04:45 AM

Re: sun bladfe 2500 NVRAM

On 2010-01-30, umkhan <umkhan.45ml6v@no.email.invalid> wrote:

> we wanted to purchase same work station from open market..but all the
> work station have PROM. what is the difference? could we use this
> workstation(pROM) insead of NVRAM

I'm not sure what you are asking here.

Assuming that the SB-2500 is similar to the SB-2000, what used
to be stored in a combination clock chip and NVRAM is now stored in a
"SEEPROM" (Serial Electrically Eraseable PROM) (except that the clock
chip is now separate), so you do not lose the setup data when the clock
battery finally dies (as eventually happens with the older Sun systems.

Unless you have licensed software which needs the HOSTID and
ethernet MAC address to remain the same, you need not worry about this
at all -- and if you do have licensed software, you simply unplug the
SEEPROM from the old system and plug it into the new one. But -- your
problem *might* be caused by the data in the SEEPROM having been
corrupted as I suggested in the other article which I just posted, in
which case a new system with the old SEEPROM will not fix anything.

Good Luck,
DoN.

Michael Laajanen 02-02-2010 10:35 PM

Re: sun bladfe 2500 NVRAM

Hi,
umkhan wrote:
> Our system Host ID and MAC address also. we have lincesed software.
>
> my question is can i install this lienced software in any SB2500 (local
> purchase)? B/c in over system NVRAM is builtin cannot be removed.

No you must ask the vendor of the software to transfer the license to
the new machine, or do you want to have the license copied on all new
machines like stealing the software I Hope not!

Do you have a support contract for the software?

/michael

DoN. Nichols 02-03-2010 12:09 AM

Re: sun bladfe 2500 NVRAM

On 2010-02-01, umkhan <umkhan.45rfjw@no.email.invalid> wrote:

> Our system Host ID and MAC address also. we have lincesed software.
>
> my question is can i install this lienced software in any SB2500 (local
> purchase)? B/c in over system NVRAM is builtin cannot be removed.

The HOSTID and MAC address are in the SEEPROM, which is
socketed, and is in location U47 on the system board according to the
Field Engineer's Handbook. It is sort of near the upper right-hand
corner of the system board. It is smaller than the typical NVRAM in the
older systems -- only an eight-pin chip, and it is in a carrier which
makes it easy to unplug and replace. (I'm assuming the carrier as it is
what the system board has in my SB-1000 and SB-2000 systems.)

I don't know how much else of the NVRAM information may be in
the SEEPROM -- or whether there is a separate soldered-in NVRAM chip as
well, but certainly, what you need to move from one system to another is
in the SEEPROM.

Good Luck,
DoN.