Re: Sun Fire V20z Fan Noise

Bruce Esquibel

Josh McKee <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a Sun Fire V20z server that is incredibly noisy due to all six
> fans running at full speed (15K RPM). Is there a way to control these
> fans to a more reasonable speed? It looks as if there may be two models
> of this system: one where the speed is not adjustable and a later
> revision where the speed is adjustable.

How are you determining they are all running full speed?

Logged into the SP, do a "sensor get"

All of the ones I just did a spot check on now are:

fan1.tach 9840.00 RPM
fan2.tach 9780.00 RPM
fan3.tach 10320.00 RPM
fan4.tach 10080.00 RPM
fan5.tach 9540.00 RPM
fan6.tach 10200.00 RPM

give or take a few hundred rpm. I was under the impression that they were
10K rpm fans anyway. I know when you first power them up, they do run faster
(it's louder) then back off a little, but it is just a little.

They are just noisy machines, made to go in a datacenter. Think I saw you
can put 50 or so in a rack, can't imagine what that sounds like.

Being they are just 1" fans to begin with, they probably have to run near
top speed just to move any air at all.

-bruce
(E-Mail Removed)