Re: Sun v40z + 64bit Windows

John D Groenveld

[follow-up's set to comp.sys.sun.hardware]
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Jack Dao <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>It doesn't seem to be supported form Sun, but will any 64bit versions
>of Windows run on this machine?
>Like Windows 2003 64bit, or WIndows 2008 64bit?

I asked the Google Oracle for the "Microsoft HCL" and I found
your answer here:
<URL:http://www.windowsservercatalog.com/marketplace/item.aspx?idItem=4f12b0f3-7a9b-cfd1-273e-5974ec77dce7>

I would make certain you're running the latest BIOS and
SP firmware:
<URL:http://www.sun.com/servers/entry/v20z/downloads.jsp>

Good luck,
John
(E-Mail Removed)

Jack Dao

On Feb 5, 10:49*am, (E-Mail Removed) (John D Groenveld) wrote:
> [follow-up's set to comp.sys.sun.hardware]
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)..com>,
> Jack Dao *<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >It doesn't seem to be supported form Sun, but will any 64bit versions
> >of Windows run on this machine?
> >Like Windows 2003 64bit, or WIndows 2008 64bit?

> I asked the Google Oracle for the "Microsoft HCL" and I found
> your answer here:
> <URL:http://www.windowsservercatalog.com/marketplace/item.aspx?idItem=4f12...>
>
> I would make certain you're running the latest BIOS and
> SP firmware:
> <URL:http://www.sun.com/servers/entry/v20z/downloads.jsp>
>
> Good luck,
> John
> (E-Mail Removed)

Thanks for this. I didn't think to use Microsoft's site.

Windows Server 2003 seems to be supported according to MS.

I wonder though about Windows Server 2008. I plan on using this
machine as a dual boot between Solaris and some version of 64 bit
Windows. Anyone have Windows Server 2008 up and running on this beast?

Jack

Jack Dao

On Feb 5, 10:49*am, (E-Mail Removed) (John D Groenveld) wrote:
> [follow-up's set to comp.sys.sun.hardware]
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)..com>,
> Jack Dao *<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >It doesn't seem to be supported form Sun, but will any 64bit versions
> >of Windows run on this machine?
> >Like Windows 2003 64bit, or WIndows 2008 64bit?

> I asked the Google Oracle for the "Microsoft HCL" and I found
> your answer here:
> <URL:http://www.windowsservercatalog.com/marketplace/item.aspx?idItem=4f12...>
>
> I would make certain you're running the latest BIOS and
> SP firmware:
> <URL:http://www.sun.com/servers/entry/v20z/downloads.jsp>
>
> Good luck,
> John
> (E-Mail Removed)

Thanks, I didn't think of checking the microsoft web site for
compatibility info. But I'm wondering if Microsoft Server 2008 would
work on this machine. Anyone have that OS up and running on this
beast?

Jack

Junior Member

Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise works beautifly. The only downside at the moment seems to be the Service Processor does not have proper drivers. Thus the fans scream at 10k all the time, and the SP says that the OS is still booting. Runs great with 2GB of ram.

Junior Member

How did you get the blade 3d graphics driver installed in 2008. I have issues doing this, it won't accept it

My server is also v40z with 16gb ram, I just obtained it quite cheap

Do you know of a good benchmark program also ?

, thanks Dave

Last edited by Alienkidmj12; 10-10-2010 at 09:06 AM..

Junior Member

Hi All,

I have v20z machines, I am wondering whether you have solved the problem with the Blade 3d Graphics drivers for the windows server 2008 (64-bit or 32-bit) - preferably 32-bit.

Thank you

John