Re: Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme Mounting

Ed Medlin

"John Whitworth" <sexyjw@g_EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE_mail.com> wrote in message
news:483d10d4$0$2494$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there any 'correct' orientation for mounting such a heatsink. No, I
> don't care if it's straight, gay, or bi, just if there's a preferred way
> for it to face.
>
> I have mounted mine in a similar fashion to the one here:
> http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/5504/dsc00005aa8.jpg
>
> I.e. fan facing towards front of case. The case is an Antec P182. My temps
> at stock speed are 44/45/49/50 for the four cores, though it doesn't
> change a lot when overclocked to 3.2GHz. On the stock cooler I got around
> 55/60.
>
> Also, when I mounted the heatsink, even though I tightened the screws up
> as much as possible, the actual heatsink still moved in a rotary fashion
> by a few degrees. Is this normal?
>
> Cheers
>
> JW

With the P18x case that should be fine. You have a 10deg drop in temps which
is pretty admirable. The only way you might improve that is to reverse the
top/rear fan to blow in and face it that direction for some direct airflow.
My P182 is modded by Swiftech with a watercooling system and I have the top
fan reversed to bring a bit more air to the radiator (which is where the
normal top/rear fan is) and the chipsets. As far as the HS moving a few
degrees, I wouldn't worry much. My waterblock moves a tiny bit the same way
and it works great and I tightened it as much as I could. Just as long as it
is making even contact across the CPU it is fine.

Ed

peter

I have mine facing the same way with the fan blowing thru the sink towards
the back of the case...but its a P160 case.
nice drop in Temps...
pk

"John Whitworth" <sexyjw@g_EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE_mail.com> wrote in message
news:483d678c$0$26086$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Ed Medlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:zeb%j.5481$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> With the P18x case that should be fine. You have a 10deg drop in temps
>> which is pretty admirable. The only way you might improve that is to
>> reverse the top/rear fan to blow in and face it that direction for some
>> direct airflow. My P182 is modded by Swiftech with a watercooling system
>> and I have the top fan reversed to bring a bit more air to the radiator
>> (which is where the normal top/rear fan is) and the chipsets. As far as
>> the HS moving a few degrees, I wouldn't worry much. My waterblock moves a
>> tiny bit the same way and it works great and I tightened it as much as I
>> could. Just as long as it is making even contact across the CPU it is
>> fine.

> Thanks Ed.
>
> JW

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "peter" typed:
> I have mine facing the same way with the fan blowing thru the sink
> towards the back of the case...but its a P160 case.
> nice drop in Temps...
> pk

<disclaimer that my newsreading client sniped reinserted>

<end disclaimer>

Ohhh, I really need something as erudite and witty as that in my sig. In
fact that is perfect for me, I can't see how to improve on it. (Except
maybe lose the smiley. <g>) Mind if I borrow it?

You know what they say about imitation being the sincerest form of
flattery.....

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

peter

Go for it...

> Ohhh, I really need something as erudite and witty as that in my sig. In
> fact that is perfect for me, I can't see how to improve on it. (Except
> maybe lose the smiley. <g>) Mind if I borrow it?
>
> You know what they say about imitation being the sincerest form of
> flattery.....
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Shaun.

Ed Medlin

> DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
> offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
> If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to
> me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate... ;-)
>
> <end disclaimer>
>
> Ohhh, I really need something as erudite and witty as that in my sig. In
> fact that is perfect for me, I can't see how to improve on it. (Except
> maybe lose the smiley. <g>) Mind if I borrow it?
>
> You know what they say about imitation being the sincerest form of
> flattery.....
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Shaun.

.........hehehe...... I think we ALL need that sig. Not that "I" would ever
make such a posting, but just in case someone takes it that way.......:-)

Ed

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "peter" typed:
> Go for it...

Thanks heaps. <g>
--
Shaun.

>> Ohhh, I really need something as erudite and witty as that in my
>> sig. In fact that is perfect for me, I can't see how to improve on
>> it. (Except maybe lose the smiley. <g>) Mind if I borrow it?
>>
>> You know what they say about imitation being the sincerest form of
>> flattery.....
>>
>> Cheers,
>> --
>> Shaun.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Ed Medlin" typed:
>> DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
>> offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
>> If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to
>> me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate... ;-)
>>
>> <end disclaimer>
>>
>> Ohhh, I really need something as erudite and witty as that in my
>> sig. In fact that is perfect for me, I can't see how to improve on
>> it. (Except maybe lose the smiley. <g>) Mind if I borrow it?
>>
>> You know what they say about imitation being the sincerest form of
>> flattery.....
>>

> ........hehehe...... I think we ALL need that sig. Not that "I" would
> ever make such a posting,

Of course not. ;-)

> but just in case someone takes it that
> way.......:-)

Odds are that someone will, sometime. I've been known to post in groups less
civilised than this one and it seems that some people just want to argue or
take comments out of context.

Now I've got this spiffy new disclaimer in my sig perhaps anyone will think
twice before trying to start a flame war. Also, it ties me into not
responding, which, believe me, is a good thing. <g>

(Although, I must admit, I've got better at ignoring fools recently. Could
be something to do with dropping certain groups from my reading list.)

Cheers,
--
Shaun.