Re: Thinkpad System Update - How do you force it to do an update?

Anthony R. Gold

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 05:24:30 -0600, Jim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I just finished installing the latest SYSTEM UPDATE from the
> Lenovo site, read the documentation, but nowhere in there does
> it tell you how to start the application to force it to go
> to their site and update all the drivers.
>
> Can someone advise just how this is done (I am Administrator).

Do you see the program in Start menu in a group/folder named ThinkVantage?

Tony

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs John Navas wrote:
> [Follow-up set to comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad]
> On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 04:21:15 -0600, Jim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
>> On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 09:01:10 -0500, "Anthony R. Gold"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Do you see the program in Start menu in a group/folder named
>>> ThinkVantage?

>> One other annoyance. When shutting down, the laptop does not
>> completely shut down power, it goes to a Windows XP screen which says
>> "You can now power down the computer", and you have to push the power
>> button to shut the darn thing off. I reinstalled the SHUTDOWN driver
>> 98 mod in the XP drivers section, but it didn't help.
>>
>> Would anyone know what driver actually controls the automatic
>> SHUTDOWN?

> System Update often misses things that need to be installed, so go to
> the Driver Matrix page for your system, download everything
> appropriate, and install them all manually.

I have five ThinkPads that I've done clean installs on in the last 12 months
and TVSU has worked flawlessly for all of them. All I needed to download
manually was the ethernet driver and TVSU itself. The rest was automated and
easy.

AFAIC TVSU is one big reason to buy a TP. I've done clean installs on other
brands machines and spent hours / days getting the right drivers. TVSU has
done it for me automatically every time I've used it. Especially the latest
version of TVSU that was released last year.
--
Shaun.

Nota bene: 'Return to' email is very rarely checked, if at all. It's spam
city but is a req. of my NNTP providor.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs John Navas wrote:
> [Follow-up set to comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad]
> On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 13:28:03 +1300, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> <hlklur$rro$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>:
>
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs John Navas wrote:

>>> System Update often misses things that need to be installed, so go
>>> to the Driver Matrix page for your system, download everything
>>> appropriate, and install them all manually.

>> I have five ThinkPads that I've done clean installs on in the last
>> 12 months and TVSU has worked flawlessly for all of them. All I
>> needed to download manually was the ethernet driver and TVSU itself.
>> The rest was automated and easy.
>>
>> AFAIC TVSU is one big reason to buy a TP. I've done clean installs
>> on other brands machines and spent hours / days getting the right
>> drivers. TVSU has done it for me automatically every time I've used
>> it. Especially the latest version of TVSU that was released last
>> year.

> The old Software Installer was significantly better in my experience.

Hmmm. I've not struck a problem with either but then I've only given up on
desktops and been into ThinkPads for about three years now.

I used to build my own desktops (and those for my gaming buddies as 'unpaid
work', or rather I got their hand-me-down hardware as payment to sell on
ebay) as I'm an invalid on welfare with an active mind but only a
semi-functional body. However welfare doesn't pay much and running desktops
as much as I did really sucked down the electricity.

Since I've been running laptops I save quite a bit of money on electric and
have less clutter. (Or I would if I could bring myself to part with my
'heavy metal' hardware. I looked at what I could reasonably hope to get for
the last desktop I built (Asus P5K-E/WiFi-AP with an E7400, 3TB of storage
etc. etc.) and decided I'd keep it as a back-up machine / server rather than
lose 60% of what I'd recently paid out.
--
Cheers,