Re: TOSHIBA A45-S120 - unable to change boot order to restore fromDVD recovery medium

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Barry Watzman wrote:
> All laptops, as far as I know, have a set of pads that can be shorted
> to remove the password. However, the locations vary by model and are
> supposed to be "secret", but some of them leak.
>
> The Toshiba A100/A105 series is an interesting situation, because that
> "series" consisted of hundreds of models that really bore almost
> nothing in common. They don't even all use the same power supply
> voltage.

Yeah, I know. I did specify 'Sat' and 'A100' which was short for Satellite
A100. FYI the one I just did was a model PSAA9A. Some other models in the
series have the pads under the stuck-down black plastic mobo protecting film
under the right-hand side RAM slot....

I could keep going but, as you say it's supposed to be secret and those two
locations cover a lot of the laptops in the series...

"All laptops" have the pads? Now that I didn't know.
--
Shaun.

> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Barry Watzman wrote:
>>> The ability of some Toshiba laptops to bypass the BIOS password
>>> using a special floppy disk was so unique, that I don't think you
>>> can draw any conclusions about whether this is supported on
>>> non-floppy laptops models from .... anything.

>> I removed the BIOS password on a Tosh Sat A100 (no parallel port)
>> recently by lifting the keyboard (but leaving it attached),
>> unseating the WAN card underneath the keyboard thus exposing the two
>> naked lands that are under there on the mobo.
>>
>> The trick is to short the lands ('jumper' them) while turning the
>> machine on. I used a screwdriver. As soon as you see the Toshiba
>> splash screen you can remove the short and power down. Next time you
>> boot the password has been removed.
>>
>> I hope that this info doesn't get used by theives....

Barry Watzman

Let me modify "all" to "substantially all". Absolutes always have
exceptions. But all retail/consumer laptops have some means to reset
the password, and often more than one. Fundamentally, the password is
stored in a flash memory chip, which is most easily dealt with directly,
e.g. erase the chip's contents.

~misfit~ wrote:

> "All laptops" have the pads? Now that I didn't know.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Barry Watzman wrote:>
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> "All laptops" have the pads? Now that I didn't know.

> Let me modify "all" to "substantially all". Absolutes always have
> exceptions. But all retail/consumer laptops have some means to reset
> the password, and often more than one. Fundamentally, the password is
> stored in a flash memory chip, which is most easily dealt with
> directly, e.g. erase the chip's contents.

You should get onto forums.thinkpads and let some of the folks there know
about this. There are a bunch of folks who have binned mobos due to being
locked out of them.
--
Cheers,
Shaun.

Barry Watzman

You have a hardware problem. The first thing to do is run a GOOD,
self-booting memory diagnostic (memtest+ or memtest86). See if that
runs ok. If the memory diagnostic does run ok ... this could be a bad
motherboard.