Re: How to undo a password on the BIOS by resetting the BIOS altogether?

Ben Myers

Most (not all) desktop computers have a jumper on the motherboard which can be
set differently to clear a password and the rest of the BIOS settings. This is
a last resort, however. If you still remember the password, you can enter the
BIOS setup (which is protected by the password) and simply change the password
to nothing at all.

Computers made for paranoid government agencies do not have the password reset
jumper. I have worked on two of them lately, both Gateway brand with an
Intel-designed motherboard modified to exclude the jumper and the reset
circuitry. If the hard drive is encrypted, then not being able to reset the
BIOS password offers reasonable protection for data on the hard drive. But if
it is not encrypted, the hard drive can be installed in another computer and its
contents deciphered, so the absent password reset jumper would offer real
protection... Ben Myers