Re: unknown command

DoN. Nichols

On 2010-01-01, Achab <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Sorry I forgot every time that this NG is in English.
> Before to open the Desktop of my old Workstation, I need to know if
> exisit any command that make me understand if there is a Hard Disk
> installed or not.

Well ... aside from the fact that if there is a disk installed
and it has Solaris on it, it will boot and you will be presented a login
prompt, and if you do not have an installed hard disk, there will be no
desktop to open, the main thing to do from the OBP level (boot ROM) is
to issue the command "probe-scsi" -- or if you have extra SCSI bus cards
installed, "probe-scsi-all" will show you what is on each bus, not just
the built-in ones.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: <(E-Mail Removed)> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

HankVC

In article <(E-Mail Removed)-and-d.com>,
DoN. Nichols <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On 2010-01-01, Achab <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Sorry I forgot every time that this NG is in English.
>> Before to open the Desktop of my old Workstation, I need to know if
>> exisit any command that make me understand if there is a Hard Disk
>> installed or not.

> Well ... aside from the fact that if there is a disk installed
>and it has Solaris on it, it will boot and you will be presented a login
>prompt, and if you do not have an installed hard disk, there will be no
>desktop to open, the main thing to do from the OBP level (boot ROM) is
>to issue the command "probe-scsi" -- or if you have extra SCSI bus cards
>installed, "probe-scsi-all" will show you what is on each bus, not just
>the built-in ones.

On an Ultrasparc, you have to reset the system if it has proceeded
into booting, to use the probe commands. Easiest way to do this is to
do a setenve auto-boot? false at the OBP prompt, do a reset, and when
the box returns to the OBP prompt, so the probes.

I don't recall what hardware the original poster has. The probe-scsi
commmand will search for internal scsi devices; probe-scsi-all
searches all hardware interfaces and returns the /devices string
for each interface whether anything is attached to it or not.

On IDE boxes like U5_10 and the small Blades, probe-ide is the command
to use. I don't know what you use on FC-AL systems, as I've never
worked with one.

Hank

DoN. Nichols

On 2010-01-02, HankVC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)-and-d.com>,
> DoN. Nichols <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>On 2010-01-01, Achab <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Sorry I forgot every time that this NG is in English.
>>> Before to open the Desktop of my old Workstation, I need to know if
>>> exisit any command that make me understand if there is a Hard Disk
>>> installed or not.

>> Well ... aside from the fact that if there is a disk installed
>>and it has Solaris on it, it will boot and you will be presented a login
>>prompt, and if you do not have an installed hard disk, there will be no
>>desktop to open, the main thing to do from the OBP level (boot ROM) is
>>to issue the command "probe-scsi" -- or if you have extra SCSI bus cards
>>installed, "probe-scsi-all" will show you what is on each bus, not just
>>the built-in ones.
>>

> On an Ultrasparc, you have to reset the system if it has proceeded
> into booting, to use the probe commands. Easiest way to do this is to
> do a setenve auto-boot? false at the OBP prompt, do a reset, and when
> the box returns to the OBP prompt, so the probes.

But -- if there is no bootable disk present, it will fall back
to the OBP and you can use the probe-scsi or probe-scsi-all with no
problems. If there is likely to be a problem, it will warn you about
it.

> I don't recall what hardware the original poster has.

IIRC -- it was a Sun Blade 2000.

> The probe-scsi
> commmand will search for internal scsi devices; probe-scsi-all
> searches all hardware interfaces and returns the /devices string
> for each interface whether anything is attached to it or not.
>
> On IDE boxes like U5_10 and the small Blades,

E.G. the "Blade 100" and "Blade 150".

> probe-ide is the command
> to use. I don't know what you use on FC-AL systems, as I've never
> worked with one.

"probe-scsi" or "probe-scsi-all" both work fine with the FC-AL
drives too.

Enjoy,
DoN.

On 2010-01-03, Achab <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> DoN. Nichols wrote:
>> On 2010-01-01, Achab<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Sorry I forgot every time that this NG is in English.
>>> Before to open the Desktop of my old Workstation, I need to know if
>>> exisit any command that make me understand if there is a Hard Disk
>>> installed or not.

>> Well ... aside from the fact that if there is a disk installed
>> and it has Solaris on it, it will boot and you will be presented a login
>> prompt, and if you do not have an installed hard disk, there will be no
>> desktop to open, the main thing to do from the OBP level (boot ROM) is
>> to issue the command "probe-scsi" -- or if you have extra SCSI bus cards
>> installed, "probe-scsi-all" will show you what is on each bus, not just
>> the built-in ones.
>>
>> Enjoy,
>> DoN.
>>

> The lonly prompt it gives is doing - STOP A -

Hmm -- and no login window? ... that suggests that it is set up
to boot from the net. Once you have gotten a prompt, try "printenv" to
get a listing of the NVRAM settings. Look in particular for ones like
the following:

[ ... ]

ttyb-rts-dtr-off=false
ttyb-ignore-cd=true
ttya-rts-dtr-off=false
ttya-ignore-cd=true
ttyb-mode=9600,8,n,1,-
ttya-mode=9600,8,n,1,-

[ ... ]

output-device=screen:r1920x1080x60d
Normally this is just "output-device-screen".
[ ... ]

input-device=keyboard

auto-boot?=true
boot-command=boot

boot-device=/pci@8,600000/SUNW,qlc@4/fp@0,0/disk@w21000004cf792280,0:a disk

Normally just "boot-device=disk". What is in this one is for a
FC-AL (Fibre Channel) disk. But "boot device" might be set to
"net" in which case it will be looking for a boot server on the
net instead of a boot disk.

diag-level=min
diag-switch?=false
error-reset-recovery=boot

There are a lot of others, which vary from system to system.
Mine above are from a Sun Blade 2000. But the ones above (and my
comments about them) are the ones which might affect your boot process.
If it has "boot-device" set to "net", it will simply keep trying to boot
from the net -- and if you don't have a net cable connected, it will
keep complaining on the screen, but with a net cable connected, it will
simply keep trying for a long time -- maybe forever.

> Well I have to bay a Hard Disk for my Ultra 5, no more than 60 GB.

Actually, IIRC, you can use up to 120 GB. (Really
137.something, but based on what is actually available, go for a limit of
120 GB. Checking, it appears that I must have a 120 GB drive in one of
them, based on the sum of all the partitions which I created, plus the
extra used for swap space which does not show up as a filesystem to
"df -h"

> I read that having no SUN Hard Disk the first partition of the HD have
> to be for Solaris in every way is that true?

Hmm ... I don't remember having to do much when I installed
OpenBSD in my Ultra-5 and Ultra-10 machines. I think that the boot
image must be in the early part of the disk, whether that is the boot
for the actual OS, or is something like GRUB to allow booting from
multiple OS's in one machine.

> or may I install a distribution of Linux without Solaris.

You should be able to do so. I've got only OpenBSD installed on
my three machines of the Ultra-5 and Ultra-10 flavor.

It certainly can't hurt to try installing linux on the system,
especially before you install any other OS.

> Segate fireball are installable on Ultra 5 (only SCSI or olso IDE)

Seagate fireball? A model of disk drive?

The Ultra 5 and the Ultra-10 only have the built-in interface
for booting from IDE. If you want SCSI, you need to add a SCSI
interface card. And I'm not sure whether the OBP (Open Boot Prom) in
that system will know how to boot from the SCSI drives. I think the
Ultra-5 and Ultra-10 only know about the built-in IDE interface, though
a booted Solaris will recognize the SCSI interface cards and allow
access to those drives once you have booted from the IDE drive.

Good Luck,
DoN.

On 2010-01-04, Achab <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[ ... ]

> Every think is all right correspond my
> boot command boot
> boot device disk net

O.K. This one above will cause it to first try the disk, and if
it does not find a disk, or does but does not find a kernel on it, it
will then move on to the net to try to boot from that.

> boot file kernel/unix
> --------------------------------
> The strange think is that the secon time I switch on Ultra 5 I saw some
> directories and I saw inside of them with comands ( cd, ls , ls -a , cd
> ..)

Hmm ... IIRC, the cd, ls and all will work from within the OPB,
if you have a formatted disk installed -- but I forget how you get to
that point from OBP since I have not used that in a long time.

Or -- perhaps the system booted from the disk.

> Now I think there is not a HD because when I get the command "ls or
> cd" he say me there is impossible to read the label of the drive?

Sounds like the disk needs to be formatted and labeled. This
suggests that the existing drive is failing.

> Maybe I made some mistake.
> 120 GB uaoo are a lot for me I begin with 750 MB of HD many years ago.

My first (and second) hard drive(s) were 5.6 MB, and the next
two were 27 MB. All were adapted to Microware's OS-9 operating system
for the Motorola 6809 CPU.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: <(E-Mail Removed)> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564