Re: Unwanted Verticle Lines on FPD2485W Hi Def Monitor

Ben Myers

Bob wrote:
> I have these problems:
>
> 1. If I do a cold start of the monitor and computer I get 5
> verdical lines on my monitor. Two on the left side and three on the
> right side. Cold START: Disconnect the ac power plug from the
> monitor and completely shut down the computer and then wait20
> minutes for things to coll down. I then plug the monitor in and
> turn the system on. After a while all of the lines go away except
> one on the left. Gateway says it is a driver problem (after
> numerous troubleshooting to tech support) and they want me to do a
> complete reinstall of Vista Ultimate. I don't want to do that
> because I have many documents and programs that I make a small
> living on.
>
> 2. If the monitor and system goes into sleep mode after going idle
> and awakes the one on the right remains.
>
> Tech support is terrible. They are located in India and accents are
> heavy and phone connections are poor.
>
> I think it's the monitor. They also want me to send the monitor in
> for repair and that's BULL. I want a repalment umonitor
>
> 2. What ever happened to tech support???? My system is under
> waranty

You are being subjected to tech support and warranty service as it
exists for CONSUMERS in these United States in the 21st century. It
pretty much sucks no matter which product it is. Where is Ralph Nader
when we need him to rattle cages on behalf of the consumer?

Here is something you can do to isolate the problem better. Gateway's
response of a driver problem is a large steaming pile of horse manure.
Simply attach another monitor (known to be in perfect condition, of
course) to the computer. If you get the vertical lines, then it is the
computer's own hardware, namely the graphics card or the graphics chip
on the motherboard. If you do not get vertical lines, the problem lies
with the monitor.

You can also do an additional test by changing the resolution displayed
on the monitor. If the lines are still there, the problem is with the
computer.

Finally, do not reinstall Vista. Instead, determine the manufacturer of
the graphics chip (AMD/ATI, nVidiia, or Intel) and the model of graphics
chip. Then go to the web site of the graphics chip manufacturer to
download the drivers for the graphics. Do not bother with the Gateway
web site for updated drivers, because they are probably not there.
Install the graphics drivers, reboot and see what happens.

Because your description implies a transient problem, one where the
display changes over time, I really do believe that you have a faulty
monitor and that you should demand a replacement under warranty. Still,
sometimes you have to bend over backwards to prove what the problem is.

.... Ben Myers

SC Tom

"Ben Myers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:h0on7s$rhu$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Bob wrote:
>> I have these problems:
>>
>> 1. If I do a cold start of the monitor and computer I get 5 verdical
>> lines on my monitor. Two on the left side and three on the right side.
>> Cold START: Disconnect the ac power plug from the monitor and completely
>> shut down the computer and then wait20 minutes for things to coll down.
>> I then plug the monitor in and turn the system on. After a while all of
>> the lines go away except one on the left. Gateway says it is a driver
>> problem (after numerous troubleshooting to tech support) and they want me
>> to do a complete reinstall of Vista Ultimate. I don't want to do that
>> because I have many documents and programs that I make a small living on.
>>
>> 2. If the monitor and system goes into sleep mode after going idle and
>> awakes the one on the right remains.
>>
>> Tech support is terrible. They are located in India and accents are
>> heavy and phone connections are poor.
>>
>> I think it's the monitor. They also want me to send the monitor in for
>> repair and that's BULL. I want a repalment umonitor
>>
>> 2. What ever happened to tech support???? My system is under waranty
>>

> You are being subjected to tech support and warranty service as it exists
> for CONSUMERS in these United States in the 21st century. It pretty much
> sucks no matter which product it is. Where is Ralph Nader when we need
> him to rattle cages on behalf of the consumer?
>
> Here is something you can do to isolate the problem better. Gateway's
> response of a driver problem is a large steaming pile of horse manure.
> Simply attach another monitor (known to be in perfect condition, of
> course) to the computer. If you get the vertical lines, then it is the
> computer's own hardware, namely the graphics card or the graphics chip on
> the motherboard. If you do not get vertical lines, the problem lies with
> the monitor.
>
> You can also do an additional test by changing the resolution displayed on
> the monitor. If the lines are still there, the problem is with the
> computer.
>
> Finally, do not reinstall Vista. Instead, determine the manufacturer of
> the graphics chip (AMD/ATI, nVidiia, or Intel) and the model of graphics
> chip. Then go to the web site of the graphics chip manufacturer to
> download the drivers for the graphics. Do not bother with the Gateway web
> site for updated drivers, because they are probably not there. Install the
> graphics drivers, reboot and see what happens.
>
> Because your description implies a transient problem, one where the
> display changes over time, I really do believe that you have a faulty
> monitor and that you should demand a replacement under warranty. Still,
> sometimes you have to bend over backwards to prove what the problem is.
>
> ... Ben Myers

Unfortunately, with the current state of Gateway tech unsupport, it's more
like "bend over and grab your ankles."

SC Tom