Re: Upgrading to WIN XP on an Abit BE6

mjvclv

Hi,

Lots of useful stuff here - but with ' bottom of the range
imtermediate' proficciency, can anyone give me some straight talking
advice on how to over come this and can it be cover come.

To summarise...i am trying to uprage my fathers PC from Win98 to
WinXP.
He has the Abit BE6 motherboard. The XP checker runnig through 98
suggests the Highpoint 366 DMA controller is 'blocking' the XP
install. If i install through DOS, XP falls over and give the BSOD.

I have HPT366 driver version 4.0 - which correlates to Ver1.25.1. I
cannot find any other drivers - the ABIT and Highpoint websites dont
list anything for the BE6 board anoymore and i cannot get to Tom
Geery's ftp site - is it still running??

I have the AWARD BIOS ver NU.

If i were to install XP onto the HDD by placing the HDD into my PC
(removing mine) and then replacing it into the BE6, would this work?

Many thanks

Mike

ps - the main thing i need to know is can this be overcome or should i
be ditching the PC and starting again?

fondue

"mjvclv" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Lots of useful stuff here - but with ' bottom of the range
> imtermediate' proficciency, can anyone give me some straight talking
> advice on how to over come this and can it be cover come.
>
> To summarise...i am trying to uprage my fathers PC from Win98 to
> WinXP.
> He has the Abit BE6 motherboard. The XP checker runnig through 98
> suggests the Highpoint 366 DMA controller is 'blocking' the XP
> install. If i install through DOS, XP falls over and give the BSOD.

What exactly do you mean, "through DOS"?. Do you mean booting from the
CDROM, or booting from floppy, then running setup?

> I have HPT366 driver version 4.0 - which correlates to Ver1.25.1. I
> cannot find any other drivers -

For which OS?

> I have the AWARD BIOS ver NU.

Get latest from Abit site, it is still available.

> If i were to install XP onto the HDD by placing the HDD into my PC
> (removing mine) and then replacing it into the BE6, would this work?

Possibly, but messy.

I'm pretty sure I have loaded XP onto a BE6.

You probably don't need the Highpoint drivers if you just use IDE1

The two black IDE connectors on the board are IDE 1 and 2. If you look
closely at the board you will see them numbered. The white ones are 3 and 4,
these are the Highpoint ones.

I would suggest you use IDE 1, you can always move it to IDE 3 later, after
you install the drivers through windows.

If you get a BSOD, you might try extracting the driver files to the root of
a floppy, and pushing F6 when setup starts, (there will be a short message
at the bottom of the screen). At some point you will be asked to specify
other storage controllers, here is where you install the Highpoint drivers.

These are NT4 / Win2000 Hightpoint drivers, but they should work for XP.
<ftp://ftp-usa.abit.com.tw/pub/download/driver2/hpt366/HPT366_2kxp.exe>

I would suggest a clean install. Booting from the XP CDROM, rather than
trying to upgrade through Win98.

As I recall, many people had performance issues using UDMA66 HDDs on the
Highpoint drivers, that is the performance wasn't that great, so it might
not be worthwhile using them - you will just need to test with your HDD.

mjvclv

Thanks for the reply

After 18 hours of trying various thing i have got it to work I NOW
HAVE WIN XP ON MY BE6 MOTHERBOARD - your approach was more or less
what i did:

inside Win98 on the PC i flashed the BIOS to version TH (the latest
from ABIT
http://fae.abit.com.tw/eng/download/bios/be6.htm

Then i clean installed XP, pressing the F6 to enable me to install the
latest HPT366 drivers (ver 1.30)
http://fae.abit.com.tw/eng/download/.../model/be6.php

All this was achieved with my HDD on IDE4 going via the HPT DMA
controller. Wow.

Your last comment...
"As I recall, many people had performance issues using UDMA66
HDDs on the Highpoint drivers, that is the performance wasn't that
great, so it might not be worthwhile using them - you will just need
to test with your HDD. "

...what does this mean?

Thanks