Re: v9.5 Catalyst driver broke its profiles?

rms

> I just upgraded/overinstalled my v9.4 to v9.5 for Catalyst driver with its
> CCC...
> I am using an updated Windows XP Pro. SP3 and a MSI R4870-T2D512 OC Radeon
> HD 4870 512 MB video card.

I've basically the same setup and gone through the same upgrade, though
just the 'integrated driver + ccc' package, and had no problems. You may be
looking at an uninstall/drivercleaner/install.

rms

rms

>> I've basically the same setup and gone through the same upgrade,
>> though just the 'integrated driver + ccc' package, and had no problems.
>> You may be looking at an uninstall/drivercleaner/install.

> Interesting. Did you have to install HDMI AUdio and xcode too? If so, then
> which order? What I did was install HDMI Audio, xcode, and CCC.

You said earlier you aren't using hdmi, and i don't know what xcode is.
Are you saying you installed the driver+ccc last? That sounds backwards.
Anyway, I'd uninstall everything, then install just the driver+ccc, and go
from there.

rms

KCB

"Ant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> On 5/22/2009 10:46 AM PT, rms typed:
>
> OK, I did more messing around with it.
>
> Reinstalled v9.5 = no fix.
> Uninstalled v9.5 and other v9.5 stuff I installed, rebooted,
> reinstalled v9.4 CCC package only, and rebooted = still broken!
> Uninstalled v9.4, rebooted, uninstalled ALL ATI stuff including an old
> school 9700 screen saver (ant moebius one I still love), ran
> DriveSweeper v1.5.5, rebooted, reinstalled v9.5 CCC, rebooted, etc. =
> works agian!
>
> I guess cleaning ATI left overs and clean reinstall were needed. Too
> bad it didn't fix my old blue screen issue with DVB Viewer Pro (since
> v8.11) after playing a 3D game/running a 3D screen saver.
> --

It probably would have worked the first time if you had uninstalled the
9.4s first.

KCB

"Ant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 5/22/2009 6:19 PM PT, KCB typed:
>
>>> OK, I did more messing around with it.
>>>
>>> Reinstalled v9.5 = no fix.
>>> Uninstalled v9.5 and other v9.5 stuff I installed, rebooted,
>>> reinstalled v9.4 CCC package only, and rebooted = still broken!
>>> Uninstalled v9.4, rebooted, uninstalled ALL ATI stuff including an
>>> old school 9700 screen saver (ant moebius one I still love), ran
>>> DriveSweeper v1.5.5, rebooted, reinstalled v9.5 CCC, rebooted, etc.
>>> = works agian!
>>>
>>> I guess cleaning ATI left overs and clean reinstall were needed. Too
>>> bad it didn't fix my old blue screen issue with DVB Viewer Pro
>>> (since v8.11) after playing a 3D game/running a 3D screen saver.
>>> --

>> It probably would have worked the first time if you had uninstalled
>> the 9.4s first.

> I never had to do that in the past when upgrading.

The 'official' installation instructions for video drivers (all mfgrs)
have included un-installing the old drivers for quite a long time.
Maybe you've been lucky or whatever, but in any case, always uninstall
first and your chance of having a problem is minimized.

DrTeeth

On Mon, 25 May 2009 15:37:24 -0400, just as I was about to take a
herb, "KCB" <(E-Mail Removed)> disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>The 'official' installation instructions for video drivers (all mfgrs)
>have included un-installing the old drivers for quite a long time.

In the release notes for one of the past Catalyst drivers, it said
that improvements had been made to avoid a reboot when upgrading
drivers. That means that it is okay to do so and since then I have
never uninstalled first without any issue.
--

Cheers,

DrT

DrTeeth

On Mon, 25 May 2009 22:22:57 -0700, just as I was about to take a
herb, Ant <(E-Mail Removed)> disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>I always
>had to reboot.

I have to reboot under XP but not Vista or Win7.
--

Cheers,

DrT

KCB

"DrTeeth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 25 May 2009 15:37:24 -0400, just as I was about to take a
> herb, "KCB" <(E-Mail Removed)> disturbed my reverie and wrote:
>
>>The 'official' installation instructions for video drivers (all mfgrs)
>>have included un-installing the old drivers for quite a long time.

> In the release notes for one of the past Catalyst drivers, it said
> that improvements had been made to avoid a reboot when upgrading
> drivers. That means that it is okay to do so and since then I have
> never uninstalled first without any issue.

I have been using ATI since 9700 Pro and have never seen a driver's
release notes say that no reboot was required. Maybe I skipped that
particular version, so post a link please.

Uninstall
Reboot
Install
Reboot
It may take a couple more minutes, but it is the best, safest way to
change your video drivers.

Here's the link from ATI
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...TIProduct.aspx
Notice step 4 - Uninstall any legacy ATI or other display drivers (where
applicable).
Where applicable refers to the fact that there may not be any video
drivers on the machine. In that case, there is nothing to uninstall.
It is the same for Windows 2000, XP, and Vista.

Also note for XP and Windows 2000, step H has this:
h. Click "Finish" and restart your computer.

For Vista, it's step K, and it's written this way:
k. The installation process will be complete once the computer has
restarted.

Look, you don't have to follow the directions. My original reply was to
the OP, who had various issues after over-installing his drivers. After
an uninstall and clean install, they worked.

DrTeeth

On Tue, 26 May 2009 23:52:13 -0400, just as I was about to take a
herb, "KCB" <(E-Mail Removed)> disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>I have been using ATI since 9700 Pro and have never seen a driver's
>release notes say that no reboot was required. Maybe I skipped that
>particular version, so post a link please.

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206...ase_notes.html

"Catalyst Install enhancement - No reboot required after Catalyst
upgrade install

This release of Catalyst™ introduces an enhancement to the Catalyst
installer. Users are no longer required to reboot their system after
Catalyst has finished installing (as long as the installation is an
upgrade from a previous Catalyst install). "

Q.E.D. AMD says it is okay to upgrade...they even enhance the driver
to make it easier!
--

Cheers,

DrT