Re: What version of Linux to install on Sunfire V100 ?

NativeAngels

Hello

Ive recently aquired 3 Sunfire v100's but unfortunatly had no disks
with them and I had no login details for them.

I have tried installing Debian Lenny Sparc on one of them which went
ok but after installation on reboot everything goes ok, but then it
hangs and nothing happens. Is the a version of linux that actually
works on them. Everything needs to be installed via cd as theyre not
connected to a network, only an old laptop with a console cable.

Is there any easy how to guides to installing a os on them ?

Any help would be appreciated.

They seem a nice bit of kit.

Thanks James

Barry

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 02:21:35 -0700 (PDT), NativeAngels
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello
>
>Ive recently aquired 3 Sunfire v100's but unfortunatly had no disks
>with them and I had no login details for them.
>
>I have tried installing Debian Lenny Sparc on one of them which went
>ok but after installation on reboot everything goes ok, but then it
>hangs and nothing happens. Is the a version of linux that actually
>works on them. Everything needs to be installed via cd as theyre not
>connected to a network, only an old laptop with a console cable.
>
>Is there any easy how to guides to installing a os on them ?

The latest Solaris 10.

>Any help would be appreciated.
>
>They seem a nice bit of kit.
>
>Thanks James

HansIvers

On Jun 16, 5:21*am, NativeAngels <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello
>
> Ive recently aquired 3 Sunfire v100's but unfortunatly had no disks
> with them and I had no login details for them.
>
> I have tried installing Debian Lenny Sparc on one of them which went
> ok but after installation on reboot everything goes ok, but then it
> hangs and nothing happens. Is the a version of linux that actually
> works on them. Everything needs to be installed via cd as theyre not
> connected to a network, only an old laptop with a console cable.

Take a look at my email on a previous thread (Ubuntu on Sunfire v100,
a couple of days ago). I spoke about installing Debian on SunFire
V100.

> Is there any easy how to guides to installing a os on them ?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> They seem a nice bit of kit.
>
> Thanks James

Easy to install OpenBSD and sparc64 is a full-supported port. On
FreeBSD, sparc64 is also available but it's a tier-2 port (partial
support).

Personnally, I have two Sunfire v100 : one is running OpenBSD 4.7 and
the other is running Solaris 10. I've never been able to run Debian to
my entire satisfaction (and I've tried *very* hard).

Good luck!