Re: VTune Event based sampling and Athlon XP

Michael Brown

"Yusuf Motiwala" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi,
>
> I downloaded eval copy of VTune 7.0 and surprised to know that I can't
> do event based sampling on Athlon systems. VTune documentation says:
>
> "EBS can be run on the Intel. Pentium. Pro, Pentium. II, Pentium. II
> XeonT, Celeron., Pentium. III, Pentium. III XeonT, Pentium. 4, and
> Itanium. processors. The processors' performance counters can be
> configured to monitor one or more events"
>
> Is this Vtune or athlon limit? My system is Athlon XP 2000.

A VTune limit. It would be trivial to add support for the Athlon, but for
some unknown reason <g> they don't want to. I thought I saw a non-Intel
patch to do this somewhere a while ago (gave the same counters as a P2 or
PPro or something), but I google doesn't seem to know about it.

--
Michael Brown
www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more

Olivier

"Michael Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<GQHVa.96867$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> "Yusuf Motiwala" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I downloaded eval copy of VTune 7.0 and surprised to know that I can't
> > do event based sampling on Athlon systems. VTune documentation says:
> >
> > "EBS can be run on the Intel. Pentium. Pro, Pentium. II, Pentium. II
> > XeonT, Celeron., Pentium. III, Pentium. III XeonT, Pentium. 4, and
> > Itanium. processors. The processors' performance counters can be
> > configured to monitor one or more events"
> >
> > Is this Vtune or athlon limit? My system is Athlon XP 2000.

> A VTune limit. It would be trivial to add support for the Athlon, but for
> some unknown reason <g> they don't want to. I thought I saw a non-Intel
> patch to do this somewhere a while ago (gave the same counters as a P2 or
> PPro or something), but I google doesn't seem to know about it.

Probably the same reason why Intel never added support for 3DNow
instructions in their compiler's inline assembler.

Olivier

michael portnoy

(E-Mail Removed) (Olivier) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> "Michael Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<GQHVa.96867$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > "Yusuf Motiwala" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I downloaded eval copy of VTune 7.0 and surprised to know that I can't
> > > do event based sampling on Athlon systems. VTune documentation says:
> > >
> > > "EBS can be run on the Intel. Pentium. Pro, Pentium. II, Pentium. II
> > > XeonT, Celeron., Pentium. III, Pentium. III XeonT, Pentium. 4, and
> > > Itanium. processors. The processors' performance counters can be
> > > configured to monitor one or more events"
> > >
> > > Is this Vtune or athlon limit? My system is Athlon XP 2000.

> > A VTune limit. It would be trivial to add support for the Athlon, but for
> > some unknown reason <g> they don't want to. I thought I saw a non-Intel
> > patch to do this somewhere a while ago (gave the same counters as a P2 or
> > PPro or something), but I google doesn't seem to know about it.

> Probably the same reason why Intel never added support for 3DNow
> instructions in their compiler's inline assembler.
>
> Olivier

I think VTune is something that Intel makes to benefit Intel
processors running an app. I really doubt Intel is trying to get into
the general software business since Intel primarily sells hardware.
Given this, why would the tool support the low-level performance stuff
on competitor CPUs? (doesn't make sense)