Re: Which Intel CPUs should I get?

jt

Ant wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I am planning to upgrade my computer again next month. I am at a loss on
> which Intel Core 2 Duo CPU to get since there are so many models:
>
> E7300 (2.66 ghz 1066 fsb) = $135
> E7400 (2.8 ghz 1066 fsb) = $155
> E8200 (2.66 ghz 1333 fsb) = $175
> E8400 (3.0ghz 1333 fsb) = $190
> E8500 (3.16ghz 1333 fsb) - $205
> Q6600 (2.4 ghz 1066 fsb) = $200
> Q8200 (2.33 ghz 1333 fsb) = $210
>
> I am planning to have 2 GB of RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4850(most likely)/4870
> (all details cranked up at 1280x1024 resolution), use Windows XP Pro.
> SP3 (screw Vista and its DirectX 10+), etc.
>
> Thank you in advance.

What motherboard?

jt

Ant wrote:
> On 11/24/2008 5:22 PM PT, jt typed:
>
>>> I am planning to upgrade my computer again next month. I am at a loss
>>> on which Intel Core 2 Duo CPU to get since there are so many models:
>>>
>>> E7300 (2.66 ghz 1066 fsb) = $135
>>> E7400 (2.8 ghz 1066 fsb) = $155
>>> E8200 (2.66 ghz 1333 fsb) = $175
>>> E8400 (3.0ghz 1333 fsb) = $190
>>> E8500 (3.16ghz 1333 fsb) - $205
>>> Q6600 (2.4 ghz 1066 fsb) = $200
>>> Q8200 (2.33 ghz 1333 fsb) = $210
>>>
>>> I am planning to have 2 GB of RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4850(most
>>> likely)/4870 (all details cranked up at 1280x1024 resolution), use
>>> Windows XP Pro. SP3 (screw Vista and its DirectX 10+), etc.
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance.

>> What motherboard?

> Probably a MSI P43 NEO3-F:
> http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p...eo3-F&class=mb ...

You probably can't go wrong with any of those CPU's. Since your board
supports 1033 fsb you might as well get one of those. I personally have
an E8400 so I would either get that or the E8500. Might as well get the
fastest clock speed since you aren't going to OC. Having said that I
bought a Gigabyte P45 board that supports 1600 fsb, and I'm running my
E8400 at 3.6Ghz easily.

JLC

Legion wrote:

> I have a 8800GTX and watch vidieos and TV episodes on my pc at times.
> Just this evening I watched 3 episodes of HERO in HD.

Yeah I have no idea what Ant is talking about. Overlay hasn't been
needed for years, The only reason that we had to have overlay was back
when CPU's where not powerful enough to do video. But even now overlay
is only used in DVD players like Cyberlinks PowerDVD. It has a check box
to use "hardware acceleration" which when turned on will make the screen
blank if you're using a Nvidia card, at lest I had that problem with my
8800GT, but when I unchecked the box the player worked great. As for
watching stuff streamed from my PC to my TV I had no problems at all
with my 8800GT using the S-Video out on the card. Just used swap display
and ran my 27" CRT at 800x600. Wireless mouse & KB and I'm set to watch
Hulu or hang out at Digg and watch the high rated videos. Hulu can look
as good as cable depending on the source material or at lest as good as
something taped on a VCR. JLC

jt

>> You probably can't go wrong with any of those CPU's. Since your board
>> supports 1033 fsb you might as well get one of those. I personally have

> 1033 FSB? Did you mean 1333?
>

>> an E8400 so I would either get that or the E8500. Might as well get
>> the fastest clock speed since you aren't going to OC. Having said that
>> I bought a Gigabyte P45 board that supports 1600 fsb, and I'm running
>> my E8400 at 3.6Ghz easily.

Yes 1333 FSB. Sorry, typo.