Re: WiFi on IBM T60 - Linux!

John Navas

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 23:48:50 -0400, GandalfG
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<(E-Mail Removed)>:

>I'm NOT a Linux-freek, but I've just found BackTracker2, and I'm very
>interested in trying it.
>But when I start BackTracker2 up on CD, I don't seem to have any
>WLAN-adapters...
>iwconfig says: "eth0: no wireless extensions"
>
>I would think, that somewhere in iwconfig, it should say somthing about
>wlan0 or ath0 instead???
>
>The WiFi-control-light (just below the screen on the laptop) isn't on
>either!
>
>I've checked the BIOS, and all network adaptors is enabled at startup.
>
>Can anyone tell me, what to do?????????????
>
>PS: BackTracker2 does support the IBM T60...

[cross-posted to comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad]

--
Best regards, FAQ for Wireless Internet: <http://Wireless.wikia.com>
John Navas FAQ for Wi-Fi: <http://wireless.wikia.com/wiki/Wi-Fi>

dold@91.usenet.us.com

John Navas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 23:48:50 -0400, GandalfG
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>:

> >I'm NOT a Linux-freek, but I've just found BackTracker2, and I'm very
> >interested in trying it.
> >But when I start BackTracker2 up on CD, I don't seem to have any
> >WLAN-adapters...
> >iwconfig says: "eth0: no wireless extensions"

Booted from CDROM might be quite different from the installed set.
Or is this a "liveCD" bootable run environment? Maybe there are specific
command line switches that you need.

> >I would think, that somewhere in iwconfig, it should say somthing about
> >wlan0 or ath0 instead???

One of my non-thinkpad laptops identified my Prism WiFi as eth0, and my
wired LAN as eth1. That worked okay with FC6 with no external drivers.
Another laptop with an ar5-something DLink card identified ath0, but that
was from an add-on driver, not a set from the RHEL install.

> >PS: BackTracker2 does support the IBM T60...

My T60 has an AR-5211. You might wander over to MadWifi.org to look for
support.