Re: Windows 7 Memory Question

Ben Myers

On 12/20/2010 7:59 PM, Von Fourche wrote:
> A relative of mine needs a new tower PC and some other relatives are
> chipping in to buy her a low priced one. We found
> an E Machine. It comes with Windows 7. I'm on XP and know nothing of
> anything beyond Windows 7. I know my Dell is rock solid.
>
> It comes with an AMD Sempron 145 2.8GHz processor and 2GB of RAM.
>
> Will my relative get decent performance from this kind of machine? All she
> does is surf the net, pay bills, and do email, and maybe watch video on
> netflix. Her son does gaming on his x-box along with netflix.
>

> This PC tower is going for around $295 at Wal Mart.
>
> Thanks

From the usage I have had so far, 2GB should be fine for normal
run-of-the-mill use as you described. Only the Netflix video may tax
the memory. Not sure. I do not use Netflix.

I am less than thrilled with eMachines, which often use a crappy power
supply (same as HP Pavilions and Compaq Presarios). When the power
supply goes, it takes the motherboard with it, because it does not have
protective circuitry built in. The world is littered with dead
eMachines systems. I have tossed out a number of perfectly good
eMachines cases, after stripping the boards for the local electronic
recycler. A shame, too. The cases are generally well made out of
sturdy sheet metal without sharp edges to slice you up... Ben Myers

Ben Myers

On 12/21/2010 1:24 AM, Von Fourche wrote:
> "Ben Myers"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:iep16f$dve$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> On 12/20/2010 7:59 PM, Von Fourche wrote:
>>> A relative of mine needs a new tower PC and some other relatives are
>>> chipping in to buy her a low priced one. We found
>>>>>

>> I am less than thrilled with eMachines, which often use a crappy power
>> supply (same as HP Pavilions and Compaq Presarios). When the power supply
>> goes, it takes the motherboard with it, because it does not have
>> protective circuitry built in. The world is littered with dead eMachines
>> systems. I have tossed out a number of perfectly good eMachines cases,
>> after stripping the boards for the local electronic recycler. A shame,
>> too. The cases are generally well made out of sturdy sheet metal without
>> sharp edges to slice you up... Ben Myers

> She currently has an old Dell with XP on it. Whenever it screws up I do a
> complete factory restore and it seems to run
> ok for a few days but then screws up again. I wonder if it has too little
> ram. I will do a factory restore and a week later they can't use Explorer
> to search the net. They have to use Chrome. Then the router which is
> hooked up to the computer and xbox screws up - only one is able to be used
> at a time. Either the computer can be plugged in and online or the xbox can
> be plugged in and online. There are ports for both the computer and xbox,
> it's a Linksys. But for some reason only one can be used.

The old Dell may also have an old and failing hard drive. This is one
possible explanation for a system going south regularly.

Or gremlins entering from the outside world... Ben Myers

Rich

"Ben Myers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iep16f$dve$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> On 12/20/2010 7:59 PM, Von Fourche wrote:
>> A relative of mine needs a new tower PC and some other relatives are
>> chipping in to buy her a low priced one. We found
>> an E Machine. It comes with Windows 7. I'm on XP and know nothing of
>> anything beyond Windows 7. I know my Dell is rock solid.
>>
>> It comes with an AMD Sempron 145 2.8GHz processor and 2GB of RAM.
>>
>> Will my relative get decent performance from this kind of machine? All
>> she
>> does is surf the net, pay bills, and do email, and maybe watch video on
>> netflix. Her son does gaming on his x-box along with netflix.
>>

>> This PC tower is going for around $295 at Wal Mart.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> From the usage I have had so far, 2GB should be fine for normal
> run-of-the-mill use as you described. Only the Netflix video may tax the
> memory. Not sure. I do not use Netflix.
>
> I am less than thrilled with eMachines, which often use a crappy power
> supply (same as HP Pavilions and Compaq Presarios). When the power supply
> goes, it takes the motherboard with it, because it does not have
> protective circuitry built in. The world is littered with dead eMachines
> systems. I have tossed out a number of perfectly good eMachines cases,
> after stripping the boards for the local electronic recycler. A shame,
> too. The cases are generally well made out of sturdy sheet metal without
> sharp edges to slice you up... Ben Myers

> signature database 5728 (20101223) __________

> http://www.eset.com

Ben,
I have heard of this power supply/motherboard issue with eMachines. I
currently own 3 eMachines; a T3306 & 2 T5243's. The worst problem I have had
was the DVD burner self-destructed after a year on the T3306 which is almost
5 years old now. However, I have just purchased a docking station for my
daughter's Dell laptop & took over her T5243 (you don't want to know the age
of the Dell XPS it is replacing). It was dual-booting Vista & 7 but I
downgraded to XP & 7. Now I am concerned about the power supply. Is it a
standard PSU? Would a preemptive replacement with a new PSU prevent any
issues?

Also, on an off-topic note, I contacted eMachine by e-mail to ask what the
fastest processor this motherboard would support (MCP61PM-AM). They wanted
pay-per-call tech support to call me the answer. It currently has an AMD
Athlon 4000+ (2.1Ghz). I have figured out that this is a Brisbane core
running it at 65W. I think the 5600+ is the fastest at 65W but there are 95W
processors running up to 6000+. Would you know what the fastest processor
would be that would run natively on this board?

Any help appreciated.....Thanks.

Rich

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5728 (20101223) __________

http://www.eset.com

Ben Myers

On 12/23/2010 6:44 PM, Rich wrote:

> "Ben Myers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:iep16f$dve$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> On 12/20/2010 7:59 PM, Von Fourche wrote:
>>> A relative of mine needs a new tower PC and some other relatives are
>>> chipping in to buy her a low priced one. We found
>>> an E Machine. It comes with Windows 7. I'm on XP and know nothing of
>>> anything beyond Windows 7. I know my Dell is rock solid.
>>>
>>> It comes with an AMD Sempron 145 2.8GHz processor and 2GB of RAM.
>>>
>>> Will my relative get decent performance from this kind of machine?
>>> All she
>>> does is surf the net, pay bills, and do email, and maybe watch video on
>>> netflix. Her son does gaming on his x-box along with netflix.
>>>

>>> This PC tower is going for around $295 at Wal Mart.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>

>> From the usage I have had so far, 2GB should be fine for normal
>> run-of-the-mill use as you described. Only the Netflix video may tax
>> the memory. Not sure. I do not use Netflix.
>>
>> I am less than thrilled with eMachines, which often use a crappy power
>> supply (same as HP Pavilions and Compaq Presarios). When the power
>> supply goes, it takes the motherboard with it, because it does not
>> have protective circuitry built in. The world is littered with dead
>> eMachines systems. I have tossed out a number of perfectly good
>> eMachines cases, after stripping the boards for the local electronic
>> recycler. A shame, too. The cases are generally well made out of
>> sturdy sheet metal without sharp edges to slice you up... Ben Myers

>> signature database 5728 (20101223) __________

>> http://www.eset.com
>>

> Ben,
> I have heard of this power supply/motherboard issue with eMachines. I
> currently own 3 eMachines; a T3306 & 2 T5243's. The worst problem I have
> had was the DVD burner self-destructed after a year on the T3306 which
> is almost 5 years old now. However, I have just purchased a docking
> station for my daughter's Dell laptop & took over her T5243 (you don't
> want to know the age of the Dell XPS it is replacing). It was
> dual-booting Vista & 7 but I downgraded to XP & 7. Now I am concerned
> about the power supply. Is it a standard PSU? Would a preemptive
> replacement with a new PSU prevent any issues?
>
> Also, on an off-topic note, I contacted eMachine by e-mail to ask what
> the fastest processor this motherboard would support (MCP61PM-AM). They
> wanted pay-per-call tech support to call me the answer. It currently has
> an AMD Athlon 4000+ (2.1Ghz). I have figured out that this is a Brisbane
> core running it at 65W. I think the 5600+ is the fastest at 65W but
> there are 95W processors running up to 6000+. Would you know what the
> fastest processor would be that would run natively on this board?
>
> Any help appreciated.....Thanks.
>
> Rich

> signature database 5728 (20101223) __________

> http://www.eset.com

The T5243 probably uses a standard-sized ATX12v power supply, but I
cannot say for sure. All of the eMachines I have seen since their move
to the black case with silver front were standard microATX cases.

Either measure the dimensions of the power supply or take a photo of the
back of the case and send it to me off-line. The hole pattern for the
mounting screws is important, too.

eMachines along with HP/Compaq have used the trashy Bestec tower
supplies known for taking out motherboards when they failed. I have
scrapped dozens of eMachines boxes with perfectly good cases, bad power
supplies and fried motherboards. For a long time, there was a hot and
expensive market for replacement eMachines motherboards.

Under the new Acer ownership, eMachines computers may have better power
supplies. I do not know for sure, because the last eMachines box I
handled was either a pre-LGA775 P4 or an older AMD box. I would be
curious to know the brand of power supply in each of your eMachines
computers.

I have miniscule expertise with AMD CPUs, so I can't advise as to which
CPU upgrade would work. Beyond the CPU wattage are considerations of
BIOS support for various CPU speeds. Also note that CPU wattage
consumption generally increases as CPU clock speed increases. I am
skeptical that all AMD Brisbanes consume 65w. But, again, I have not
really read any of the specs on AMD CPUs.

eMachines is like any other compnay wanting to charge for tech support
these days, especially when the topic is CPU upgrades, something in
which they cannot make any money.

Your best bet would be to determine the make/model of the T5243
motherboard and to obtain detailed motherboard specs for the same or
similar motherboards from the board manufacturer. For the most part,
OEM boards for eMachines and HP/Compaq are "specials", not standard off
the shelf generic models. The special OEM boards are often crippled
versions of standard boards. The exception is when Intel supplies the
board, and it is often a standard model... Ben Myers

GTS-NJ

SNIP

> Ben,
> I have heard of this power supply/motherboard issue with eMachines. I
> currently own 3 eMachines; a T3306 & 2 T5243's. The worst problem I have
> had was the DVD burner self-destructed after a year on the T3306 which is
> almost 5 years old now. However, I have just purchased a docking station
> for my daughter's Dell laptop & took over her T5243 (you don't want to
> know the age of the Dell XPS it is replacing). It was dual-booting Vista &
> 7 but I downgraded to XP & 7. Now I am concerned about the power supply.
> Is it a standard PSU? Would a preemptive replacement with a new PSU
> prevent any issues?
>
> Also, on an off-topic note, I contacted eMachine by e-mail to ask what the
> fastest processor this motherboard would support (MCP61PM-AM). They wanted
> pay-per-call tech support to call me the answer. It currently has an AMD
> Athlon 4000+ (2.1Ghz). I have figured out that this is a Brisbane core
> running it at 65W. I think the 5600+ is the fastest at 65W but there are
> 95W processors running up to 6000+. Would you know what the fastest
> processor would be that would run natively on this board?
>
> Any help appreciated.....Thanks.
>
> Rich

I have also seen many eMachines with fried motherboards after power supply
failures. The Bestec 250W PSU is the one to especially watch out for (label
will show Bestec ATX-250-12E). If yours is that model and you want to
keep the machine for a few more years, a preemptive replacement is well
worth considering. I have done this for a few customers. I'm leery or the
Bestec brand because of this, but have seen reports that the later modes
(like the 350W) have proper overload protection.,

See http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...print&reid=154
for some interesting info. Particularly near the end "5VSB will kill your
mainboard when (not if) the caps fail "

Ben Myers

On 12/24/2010 1:34 PM, Timothy Daniels wrote:
> "Ben Myers" shared:
>> [........]
>> For the most part, OEM boards for eMachines and HP/Compaq
>> are "specials", not standard off the shelf generic models. The special
>> OEM boards are often crippled versions of standard boards. The
>> exception is when Intel supplies the board, and it is often a standard
>> model... Ben Myers

> <yikes!> I would guess, then, that the "crippling" drops the price
> that is charged to the OEM for the "special" motherboard. From
> what you've seen, Ben, does this apply to Dell's motherboards as
> well?
>
> *TimDaniels*

With emachines, HPaq and others, the "crippled" OEM models lack many of
the BIOS features found in the generic boxed motherboards.
Overclocking, in particular, is not possible. Sometimes specific chips
are omitted from the motherboards, or less functional chips substituted,
e.g. 10/100 Ethernet instead of gigabit Ethernet.

With its motherboards-mounted-on-a-tray found in the Socket 478 and
early LGA775 systems, the Dell boards were custom by definition, to fit
the tray. However, they give every indication of being full-featured,
except for the BIOS. The older P4 and early LGA775 systems in the Mitac
microATX chassis all have a standard form factor, somewhat funky
physical connectors and they are all full-featured compared to similar
mostly Intel-branded models.

The newer BTX motherboard systems all seem to have standard
off-the-shelf motherboards. And so do the newer Vostro, Inspiron, and
Optiplex designs.

Dell, too, does not want people to overclock its systems. After all,
overclocking voids any warranty on the CPU and may well mess up the
system in other ways.

My summary, and this is no Dellbot talking, is that "crippled" is a good
term to apply to Acer-eGateMachines and HPaq motherboards, but not to
Dells. Many of the Gateway-branded P4 systems, up until Acer bought
them out, used Intel-branded motherboards and were generally of very
good quality. I have not had hands on with any recent post-Acer Gateway
boxes, but I can guess that if Acer is still manufacturing its own
(decent quality once upon a time) motherboards, that's what ends up in
Gateways now. But I have not seen an Acer branded motherboard in some
time... Ben

Rich

"GTS-NJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:if2loi$5hh$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> SNIP
>>>

>> Ben,
>> I have heard of this power supply/motherboard issue with eMachines. I
>> currently own 3 eMachines; a T3306 & 2 T5243's. The worst problem I have
>> had was the DVD burner self-destructed after a year on the T3306 which is
>> almost 5 years old now. However, I have just purchased a docking station
>> for my daughter's Dell laptop & took over her T5243 (you don't want to
>> know the age of the Dell XPS it is replacing). It was dual-booting Vista
>> & 7 but I downgraded to XP & 7. Now I am concerned about the power
>> supply. Is it a standard PSU? Would a preemptive replacement with a new
>> PSU prevent any issues?
>>
>> Also, on an off-topic note, I contacted eMachine by e-mail to ask what
>> the fastest processor this motherboard would support (MCP61PM-AM). They
>> wanted pay-per-call tech support to call me the answer. It currently has
>> an AMD Athlon 4000+ (2.1Ghz). I have figured out that this is a Brisbane
>> core running it at 65W. I think the 5600+ is the fastest at 65W but there
>> are 95W processors running up to 6000+. Would you know what the fastest
>> processor would be that would run natively on this board?
>>
>> Any help appreciated.....Thanks.
>>
>> Rich

> I have also seen many eMachines with fried motherboards after power
> supply failures. The Bestec 250W PSU is the one to especially watch out
> for (label will show Bestec ATX-250-12E). If yours is that model and
> you want to keep the machine for a few more years, a preemptive
> replacement is well worth considering. I have done this for a few
> customers. I'm leery or the Bestec brand because of this, but have seen
> reports that the later modes (like the 350W) have proper overload
> protection.,
>
> See
> http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...print&reid=154
> for some interesting info. Particularly near the end "5VSB will kill your
> mainboard when (not if) the caps fail "

Thanks for that link....extremely interesting & informative.
Here are the PSU's in the eMachines':

T3306 - Bestec 300W
T5243 - Delta Electronics 300W

I am inclined to believe that the problem is with the
250W Bestec model. So now I am cautiously on the fence about leaving the
Bestec 300W in the T3306 & comfortable about leaving the 300w PSU's in the
T5243's since it is made by a different manufacturer Delta Electronics.
Would you agree?

Thanks,

Rich

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5730 (20101224) __________

http://www.eset.com

Ben Myers

On 12/24/2010 6:08 PM, Rich wrote:

> "GTS-NJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:if2loi$5hh$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> SNIP
>>>>

>>> Ben,
>>> I have heard of this power supply/motherboard issue with eMachines. I
>>> currently own 3 eMachines; a T3306 & 2 T5243's. The worst problem I
>>> have had was the DVD burner self-destructed after a year on the T3306
>>> which is almost 5 years old now. However, I have just purchased a
>>> docking station for my daughter's Dell laptop & took over her T5243
>>> (you don't want to know the age of the Dell XPS it is replacing). It
>>> was dual-booting Vista & 7 but I downgraded to XP & 7. Now I am
>>> concerned about the power supply. Is it a standard PSU? Would a
>>> preemptive replacement with a new PSU prevent any issues?
>>>
>>> Also, on an off-topic note, I contacted eMachine by e-mail to ask
>>> what the fastest processor this motherboard would support
>>> (MCP61PM-AM). They wanted pay-per-call tech support to call me the
>>> answer. It currently has an AMD Athlon 4000+ (2.1Ghz). I have figured
>>> out that this is a Brisbane core running it at 65W. I think the 5600+
>>> is the fastest at 65W but there are 95W processors running up to
>>> 6000+. Would you know what the fastest processor would be that would
>>> run natively on this board?
>>>
>>> Any help appreciated.....Thanks.
>>>
>>> Rich

>> I have also seen many eMachines with fried motherboards after power
>> supply failures. The Bestec 250W PSU is the one to especially watch
>> out for (label will show Bestec ATX-250-12E). If yours is that model
>> and you want to keep the machine for a few more years, a preemptive
>> replacement is well worth considering. I have done this for a few
>> customers. I'm leery or the Bestec brand because of this, but have
>> seen reports that the later modes (like the 350W) have proper overload
>> protection.,
>>
>> See
>> http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...print&reid=154 for
>> some interesting info. Particularly near the end "5VSB will kill your
>> mainboard when (not if) the caps fail "

> Thanks for that link....extremely interesting & informative.
> Here are the PSU's in the eMachines':
>
> T3306 - Bestec 300W
> T5243 - Delta Electronics 300W
>
> I am inclined to believe that the problem is with the
> 250W Bestec model. So now I am cautiously on the fence about leaving the
> Bestec 300W in the T3306 & comfortable about leaving the 300w PSU's in the
> T5243's since it is made by a different manufacturer Delta Electronics.
> Would you agree?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich

> signature database 5730 (20101224) __________

> http://www.eset.com

Delta has been around for a long time and they have made millions of
power supplies for PC, Sun, DEC, etc. No need to mess with a Delta PSU.

I am a bit leery about any Bestec. They have an extremely bad
reputation to live donw and jonnyguru has done them no favors. Nor
should he! They deserve analyses like his. Maybe Acer-eGateMachines
people read his analysis and showed the door to Bestec? ... Ben Myers

BillW50

In news:if2jgu$b33$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org,
Ben Myers typed on Fri, 24 Dec 2010 11:59:09 -0500:

[...]
> eMachines along with HP/Compaq have used the trashy Bestec tower
> supplies known for taking out motherboards when they failed. I have
> scrapped dozens of eMachines boxes with perfectly good cases, bad
> power supplies and fried motherboards...

That is very interesting Ben. I had two HP desktops with Bestec power
supplies. And when they were four years old I stuck a new DLink wireless
card in one of them. Then all hell broke out. Even when I removed the
DLink card, the computer no longer worked by LAN or any wireless card. I
did get an error message from DLink software and wrote it down. And I
though something happened to the motherboard and what a strange
coincidence.

So I put that DLink card in the other HP. Dang, that one now has the
same problems and no LAN or any wireless would work with this computer
now either. Called DLink and asking them why their card ruined both
computers and I gave them that error code. They told me it wasn't their
card, but that error means a problem with the computer itself. So it
wasn't their problem.

Now thinking about this and you saying this about Bestec power supplies
are making me wonder if that has anything to do with this problem? They
work fine using dialup, but no LAN and WLAN ever works after that one
DLink card was plugged in. Although today they are terrible computers
and I am not interested in repairing them. But I am still curious what
really happened.

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Centrino Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

Ben Myers

On 12/24/2010 6:34 PM, BillW50 wrote:
> In news:if2jgu$b33$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org,
> Ben Myers typed on Fri, 24 Dec 2010 11:59:09 -0500:
>
> [...]
>> eMachines along with HP/Compaq have used the trashy Bestec tower
>> supplies known for taking out motherboards when they failed. I have
>> scrapped dozens of eMachines boxes with perfectly good cases, bad
>> power supplies and fried motherboards...

> That is very interesting Ben. I had two HP desktops with Bestec power
> supplies. And when they were four years old I stuck a new DLink wireless
> card in one of them. Then all hell broke out. Even when I removed the
> DLink card, the computer no longer worked by LAN or any wireless card. I
> did get an error message from DLink software and wrote it down. And I
> though something happened to the motherboard and what a strange
> coincidence.
>
> So I put that DLink card in the other HP. Dang, that one now has the
> same problems and no LAN or any wireless would work with this computer
> now either. Called DLink and asking them why their card ruined both
> computers and I gave them that error code. They told me it wasn't their
> card, but that error means a problem with the computer itself. So it
> wasn't their problem.
>
> Now thinking about this and you saying this about Bestec power supplies
> are making me wonder if that has anything to do with this problem? They
> work fine using dialup, but no LAN and WLAN ever works after that one
> DLink card was plugged in. Although today they are terrible computers
> and I am not interested in repairing them. But I am still curious what
> really happened.

Well, they are Bestec power supplies. Likely that the installation of
the DLink card caused a power supply malfunction.

One of the other postings here refers to a detailed enginnering-level
analysis and explanation of the serious shortcomings in the design of
the Bestec power supplies, right down to a leaked capacitor inside.
Interesting reading, and it corroborates what I have seen and other have
too.

If you ever decide to bring the HP (Pavilions, weren't they?) boxes back
to life to serve a useful purpose, do yourself a favor and replace the
power supply with even an old Dell one. Oh, never mind. They don't
work with any kind of network. Fodder for electronic scrap... Ben