Re: Windows service pack download froze my laptop

CBFalconer

Colleen wrote:

> I was trying to download Windows XP Service Pack 2 on my IBM
> laptop, and I intended to follow that with a download of Service
> Pack 3. However, the Service Pack 2 download totally shut down
> my computer, and I am not able to access any of the recovery
> functions except the "reformat hard drive" function. Obviously,
> I do not want to reformat my hard drive. Can someone please
> help me?
>
> I have posted this to several forums, because I am not sure
> which is the best one, so please excuse my redundancy.

This is typical Microsoft quality. I suggest you aim for a means
of transferring the files of interest (assuming they still exist)
to a backup medium. Then install a Linux. Ubuntu is good, and
easily available from ubuntu.com. Ask for version 8.04, because it
will be supported for 3 (2 more) years.

Most software is available (free) for Linux. It is usually better
than Windows versions.

Try the download section.

Todd H.

CBFalconer <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Colleen wrote:
>>
>> I was trying to download Windows XP Service Pack 2 on my IBM
>> laptop, and I intended to follow that with a download of Service
>> Pack 3. However, the Service Pack 2 download totally shut down
>> my computer, and I am not able to access any of the recovery
>> functions except the "reformat hard drive" function. Obviously,
>> I do not want to reformat my hard drive. Can someone please
>> help me?
>>
>> I have posted this to several forums, because I am not sure
>> which is the best one, so please excuse my redundancy.

> This is typical Microsoft quality. I suggest you aim for a means
> of transferring the files of interest (assuming they still exist)
> to a backup medium. Then install a Linux. Ubuntu is good, and
> easily available from ubuntu.com. Ask for version 8.04, because it
> will be supported for 3 (2 more) years.
>
> Most software is available (free) for Linux. It is usually better
> than Windows versions.

Sweet!

Point us to the cheaper/better than Quickbooks, Quicken, Adobe
Creative Suite and Word apps are and let's get started!

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Todd H. wrote:
> CBFalconer <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> Colleen wrote:
>>>
>>> I was trying to download Windows XP Service Pack 2 on my IBM
>>> laptop, and I intended to follow that with a download of Service
>>> Pack 3. However, the Service Pack 2 download totally shut down
>>> my computer, and I am not able to access any of the recovery
>>> functions except the "reformat hard drive" function. Obviously,
>>> I do not want to reformat my hard drive. Can someone please
>>> help me?
>>>
>>> I have posted this to several forums, because I am not sure
>>> which is the best one, so please excuse my redundancy.

>> This is typical Microsoft quality. I suggest you aim for a means
>> of transferring the files of interest (assuming they still exist)
>> to a backup medium. Then install a Linux. Ubuntu is good, and
>> easily available from ubuntu.com. Ask for version 8.04, because it
>> will be supported for 3 (2 more) years.
>>
>> Most software is available (free) for Linux. It is usually better
>> than Windows versions.

> Sweet!
>
> Point us to the cheaper/better than Quickbooks, Quicken, Adobe
> Creative Suite and Word apps are and let's get started!

Word to the wise....

CBFalconer is in my killfile. There are few things worse on usenet than OS
dick-sizers.
--
Shaun.