Re: X5DPA-GG motherboard LED glowing orange

dorothy.bradbury

o Generally most recent boards use an LED to indicate standby-power
---- ie, PSU has power & PSU is "off but in standby mode"

o Standby is a maintained 5V feed so the board can boot electrically
---- eg, due to WOL signal, WOModem signal or such like

It's useful for compute servers which are brought up on demand by WOL,
although personally I've never found WOL to be reliable "PC wide".

The LED is a service alert to users that the board is not electrically off,
adding/removing DIMMS should not be attempted until power removed.

Some older boards lacked this LED, and I suspect a casual user or human
error had some adding/removing PCI cards or RAM in a Standby state.
--
Dorothy Bradbury
www.stores.ebay.co.uk/panaflofan

« - | Re: Power Supplies »

Power light glowing orange? news.rcn.com Gateway 5 06-19-2009 03:14 PM
hdd led not glowing mtech84 Gigabyte 1 12-25-2006 05:22 PM
Green / orange led on a laptop power supply. Laptopper Laptops 1 07-01-2004 09:51 PM
Can't boot from CD-Drive Toshiba XM-1702B - LED light flashes orange continuously - (Inspiron 3200) jovunik Dell 4 03-03-2004 10:09 PM
Can't boot from CD-Drive Toshiba XM-1702B - LED light flashes orange continuously - (Inspiron 3200) jovunik Laptops 0 03-01-2004 05:51 PM