Real hot: Athlon 2600+ on Abit NF7-S

yamahasw40@latinmail.com

All,

I powered up my trusty Abit NF7-S last night to be greeted with a siren
from the on-board noisemaker. A quick check of the abit monitor
revealed the the CPU was running at 208 degreesC (406 degF)!!! I
immediately shut down the system.

As Windows didn't crash (and the machine wasn't smoking) I shutdown the
system.

Note that the Athlon XP 2600+ isn't overclocked - its running at its
native speed.

Has anybody come across anything resembling this problem on this or
similar hardware?

Ta

Matt

dobey

Did you do the basics and check the heatsink fan was working ect?

Would the CPU run at that temp?

Did the heatsink seem that hot to you? I expect you would get a burn at that
temp.

I would pull of the heatsink first and check the thermal paste is still
there and hadn't dried out.
clean it up and put some fresh stuff on. It sounds like the HW monitoring
gizmo might be on the fritz, to use the technical term.

;-)

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> All,
>
> I powered up my trusty Abit NF7-S last night to be greeted with a siren
> from the on-board noisemaker. A quick check of the abit monitor
> revealed the the CPU was running at 208 degreesC (406 degF)!!! I
> immediately shut down the system.
>
> As Windows didn't crash (and the machine wasn't smoking) I shutdown the
> system.
>
> Note that the Athlon XP 2600+ isn't overclocked - its running at its
> native speed.
>
> Has anybody come across anything resembling this problem on this or
> similar hardware?
>
> Ta
>
> Matt

Dylan C

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> All,
>
> I powered up my trusty Abit NF7-S last night to be greeted with a siren
> from the on-board noisemaker. A quick check of the abit monitor
> revealed the the CPU was running at 208 degreesC (406 degF)!!! I
> immediately shut down the system.
>
> As Windows didn't crash (and the machine wasn't smoking) I shutdown the
> system.
>
> Note that the Athlon XP 2600+ isn't overclocked - its running at its
> native speed.
>
> Has anybody come across anything resembling this problem on this or
> similar hardware?
>
> Ta
>
> Matt

Most likely this was caused by a failed temp sensor. Most newer CPUs
won't function properly over 70C and around 90C they start to burn up.
Of yours really got to 208, the machine would've crashed and you'd have
seen smoke. That said, I wouldn't just disable the thermal
shutdown/alarm without getting some kind of reading with a thermal
probe. In fact, I'd probably use the situation to explain to my wife
just why I need a non-concact IR thermometer. See it here:

http://www.infrared-usa.com/Product....&CategoryID=51

-Dylan C

Double O'Malley

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> All,
>
> I powered up my trusty Abit NF7-S last night to be greeted with a siren
> from the on-board noisemaker. A quick check of the abit monitor
> revealed the the CPU was running at 208 degreesC (406 degF)!!! I
> immediately shut down the system.
>
> As Windows didn't crash (and the machine wasn't smoking) I shutdown the
> system.
>
> Note that the Athlon XP 2600+ isn't overclocked - its running at its
> native speed.
>
> Has anybody come across anything resembling this problem on this or
> similar hardware?
>
> Ta
>
> Matt

My NF7 got screwy CPU temp readings like that with ABIT EQ v1.232
ABIT EQ v1.230 works correctly.

Wookie

There would have been smoke and burning smells if it had got that hot
(406degrees) .. it is a failed sensor. Make sure your CPU fan is working
and that is about as good as you can do. You could always reseat and put
some fresh artic silver on ... or whatever you use ... I wouldn't though ..
I'd make sure the fan was working and then disable the temperature
alarm/shutdown feature. The other option you have is to get a new MB.

"Dylan C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I powered up my trusty Abit NF7-S last night to be greeted with a siren
>> from the on-board noisemaker. A quick check of the abit monitor
>> revealed the the CPU was running at 208 degreesC (406 degF)!!! I
>> immediately shut down the system.
>>
>> As Windows didn't crash (and the machine wasn't smoking) I shutdown the
>> system.
>>
>> Note that the Athlon XP 2600+ isn't overclocked - its running at its
>> native speed.
>>
>> Has anybody come across anything resembling this problem on this or
>> similar hardware?
>>
>> Ta
>>
>> Matt
>>

> Most likely this was caused by a failed temp sensor. Most newer CPUs
> won't function properly over 70C and around 90C they start to burn up. Of
> yours really got to 208, the machine would've crashed and you'd have seen
> smoke. That said, I wouldn't just disable the thermal shutdown/alarm
> without getting some kind of reading with a thermal probe. In fact, I'd
> probably use the situation to explain to my wife just why I need a
> non-concact IR thermometer. See it here:
>
> http://www.infrared-usa.com/Product....&CategoryID=51
>
> -Dylan C

Pete

Double O'Malley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:UuMNg.11325$xQ1.6170
@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

> My NF7 got screwy CPU temp readings like that with ABIT EQ v1.232
> ABIT EQ v1.230 works correctly.

This is the answer. I have 208 on an NF7-S with v1.232 as well.

Real hot: Athlon 2600+ on Abit NF7-S yamahasw40@latinmail.com Abit 5 09-14-2006 07:22 PM
Athlon/Athlon XP/Duron??? Jerry Asus 10 03-14-2006 12:37 AM
Abit KV8-MAX3 /w Athlon 64 3000+ vs. Abit IC7 MAX3 /w P4 2.8CG (800MHz) Just Taylor Abit 1 04-20-2004 06:01 PM
Newbie>>Please help <<KT7A Raid>>Using Athlon-1.1MHz socket A - Want to upgrade What is the fastest Athlon that will work TIA dingbolt Abit 1 02-12-2004 12:22 AM
Strange problem with Win 2000 after Athlon 2500+ upgrade from Athlon 2000+ Thomas Jansen Gigabyte 1 10-27-2003 07:29 AM