What is the real (not advertised) capacity of my ASUSTEK motherboard?

Junior Member

I have an ASUS M2N61-LA Motherboard and an AMD Athlon 64 X 2 4200+ Dual Core Processor (AM2 Windsor) running at 2.2 GHZ (Other specs are: 512KB X2 65W 90NM).
I’ve checked the ASUS site, but because this particular motherboard was manufactured for HP/Compaq exclusively, ASUS doesn’t list this motherboard’s specs on the ASUS site.

I sent a question off to ASUS but as I suspected their answer was completely unresponsive (to give me the correct answer would have required them to be in direct contradiction of what HP says on their site about this motherboard and thus would have potentially jeopardized their relationship with HP/COMPAQ for future business).
And here’s the response I expected, quoted verbatim in full:

“Dear Sir/Madam

This is an OEM motherboard, manufactured to meet another company's specifications and purchased for sale by that company. Unfortunately, we do not keep or maintain documents, manuals, drivers or BIOS updates available for this product. If you need further assistance please contact the OEM manufacturer (the company that produced your system), or the company that sold you this system.

Thank you for your support of our products!”

My question is this:
On the AMD site they say the processor is capable of supporting much more than 2 gigabytes of RAM (whereas HP says, with respect to the motherboard, and I quote: “Maximum HP/Compaq approved memory is 2 GB”), and we know from both ASUS and HP/COMPAQ that the motherboard will support the processor (and, in fact it does support the processor and so does the bios that HP/COMPAQ had ASUS install on the motherboard, i.e., when I first put the processor in the computer, the computer immediately recognized the new processor on all four of the desktops I’m running on this computer (i.e., Vista Ultimate, Windows 7, Ubuntu 10.04 and Linux Mint 8.0).
Does anyone know if the HP/COMPAQ recommendation is just so much horse puckey? Given the actual words they’ve chosen, i.e., Maximum HP/Compaq approved memory is 2 GB, I’m very, very suspicious. My sense is that they’ve done this principally to be on the save side but also to encourage customers to buy new computers instead of trying to upgrade the old ones.

If anyone out there has an answer to this question, I would be very, very appreciative.

Thanks in advance.

Peter Bell

Asustek and Gigabyte form joint venture Michael D Asus 8 08-16-2006 11:53 AM
Asustek P4v8x-x Lolo Asus 0 11-01-2004 09:20 AM
Will Antec, generic ps, work on Asustek mobo? sdlomi2 Asus 3 03-06-2004 04:34 AM
AMD Athlon 2600+ & Asustek A7V8X-MX system crash Ranjan Asus 6 01-25-2004 05:17 PM
Where can I find a driver(s) for this: ASUSTeK Computer INC. CUSL2 REV 1.xx Phinny Asus 4 10-28-2003 06:23 AM