Reboot during games and DVD play?

J?j?

Hi,

in the last 3 days I've some strange bugs.
During games my computer reboot. never at the same time and in all my
games.
I can play 5 minutes before a reboot or I can play without problem for
4h.

Also my computer can reboot when I read a DVD.
Nothing has changed in my computer in the week.
And because everytime the reboot occurs during a usage of my ATI 8500
DV, I presume the problem is here.

I've the latest drivers.

any idea?

Thanks for your help.

Jerome.
PS: please reply by email.

blah

Bit more info on your set-up would be good.
Have you checked for viruses, etc.. any thing installed recently..

"J?j?" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi,
>
> in the last 3 days I've some strange bugs.
> During games my computer reboot. never at the same time and in all my
> games.
> I can play 5 minutes before a reboot or I can play without problem for
> 4h.
>
> Also my computer can reboot when I read a DVD.
> Nothing has changed in my computer in the week.
> And because everytime the reboot occurs during a usage of my ATI 8500
> DV, I presume the problem is here.
>
> I've the latest drivers.
>
> any idea?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Jerome.
> PS: please reply by email.

patrickp

"J?j?" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi,
>
> in the last 3 days I've some strange bugs.
> During games my computer reboot. never at the same time and in all my
> games.
> I can play 5 minutes before a reboot or I can play without problem for
> 4h.
>
> Also my computer can reboot when I read a DVD.
> Nothing has changed in my computer in the week.
> And because everytime the reboot occurs during a usage of my ATI 8500
> DV, I presume the problem is here.
>
> I've the latest drivers.
>
> any idea?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Jerome.
> PS: please reply by email.

VIA chipset? If so, check you have appropriate chipset drivers installed;
also look for VIA Latency patch and check that the PCI Latency settings in
your BIOS are disabled or set to 0.

Would help if you posted system details etc; very few people here have
strange sidekick powers like what I do...

patrickp

J?j?

Hi,

No, nothing new on my computer.
My config:
* P4 2ghz
* ATI Radeon 8500 DV
* 512 mb of RAM

I've added a CD burner last week, but all works fine after its
installation.
I've no viruses.

What I've tested on my computer after the problem starts:
* Changing the memory from a slot to another
* reinstalling ATI drivers, updated the motherboard (SIS) drivers
* reinstalling DirectX 9b
* complete virus check
* Scandisk, defrag
* creating a new user profile

But all of this doesn't works. I reboot again.
If the problem is the CD Burner, why my reboots problems start 1 week
after its installation and not just after its installation?

"blah" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<4070cdc3$0$16592$(E-Mail Removed) .au>...
> Bit more info on your set-up would be good.
> Have you checked for viruses, etc.. any thing installed recently..
>
> "J?j?" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Hi,
> >
> > in the last 3 days I've some strange bugs.
> > During games my computer reboot. never at the same time and in all my
> > games.
> > I can play 5 minutes before a reboot or I can play without problem for
> > 4h.
> >
> > Also my computer can reboot when I read a DVD.
> > Nothing has changed in my computer in the week.
> > And because everytime the reboot occurs during a usage of my ATI 8500
> > DV, I presume the problem is here.
> >
> > I've the latest drivers.
> >
> > any idea?
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> >
> > Jerome.
> > PS: please reply by email.

J?j?

ok...
there is my config:
chipset: Sis 645
MotherB : Biostar - M7SXF
Video: ATI Radeon 8500 DV
Poc.: P4 2ghz
Memory: 1 * 512 Mb
Sound: SB Audigy 2
HD: 1 IDE UDma 100 60Gb
1 DVD Rom
1 CDRW
Network: DLink DFE 538TX

I've the latest drivers for each component.
I'm not sure if I've a latency parameter... I'll look for it.

sometimes my system reboot instead-of displaying the logon screen

"patrickp" <(E-Mail Removed) - take five to email me> wrote in message news:<Em8cc.53$Xi.32@newsfe1-win>...
> "J?j?" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Hi,
> >
> > in the last 3 days I've some strange bugs.
> > During games my computer reboot. never at the same time and in all my
> > games.
> > I can play 5 minutes before a reboot or I can play without problem for
> > 4h.
> >
> > Also my computer can reboot when I read a DVD.
> > Nothing has changed in my computer in the week.
> > And because everytime the reboot occurs during a usage of my ATI 8500
> > DV, I presume the problem is here.
> >
> > I've the latest drivers.
> >
> > any idea?
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> >
> > Jerome.
> > PS: please reply by email.

> VIA chipset? If so, check you have appropriate chipset drivers installed;
> also look for VIA Latency patch and check that the PCI Latency settings in
> your BIOS are disabled or set to 0.
>
> Would help if you posted system details etc; very few people here have
> strange sidekick powers like what I do...
>
> patrickp

patrickp

On 5 Apr 2004 15:55:30 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (J?j?) wrote:

>ok...
>there is my config:
>chipset: Sis 645
>MotherB : Biostar - M7SXF
>Video: ATI Radeon 8500 DV
>Poc.: P4 2ghz
>Memory: 1 * 512 Mb
>Sound: SB Audigy 2
>HD: 1 IDE UDma 100 60Gb
>1 DVD Rom
>1 CDRW
>Network: DLink DFE 538TX
>
>I've the latest drivers for each component.
>I'm not sure if I've a latency parameter... I'll look for it.
>

>sometimes my system reboot instead-of displaying the logon screen

What OS are you using, Jerome? Also, how have you got your drives set
up?

If you're using a Sis chipset, it won't be the PCI Latency bug; that
specifically affects various VIA chipsets only.

patrickp

>"patrickp" <(E-Mail Removed) - take five to email me> wrote in message news:<Em8cc.53$Xi.32@newsfe1-win>...
>> "J?j?" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > in the last 3 days I've some strange bugs.
>> > During games my computer reboot. never at the same time and in all my
>> > games.
>> > I can play 5 minutes before a reboot or I can play without problem for
>> > 4h.
>> >
>> > Also my computer can reboot when I read a DVD.
>> > Nothing has changed in my computer in the week.
>> > And because everytime the reboot occurs during a usage of my ATI 8500
>> > DV, I presume the problem is here.
>> >
>> > I've the latest drivers.
>> >
>> > any idea?
>> >
>> > Thanks for your help.
>> >
>> > Jerome.
>> > PS: please reply by email.

>> VIA chipset? If so, check you have appropriate chipset drivers installed;
>> also look for VIA Latency patch and check that the PCI Latency settings in
>> your BIOS are disabled or set to 0.
>>
>> Would help if you posted system details etc; very few people here have
>> strange sidekick powers like what I do...
>>
>> patrickp

leo

"patrickp" <(E-Mail Removed) - take 5 to email me> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 5 Apr 2004 15:55:30 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (J?j?) wrote:
>
> >ok...
> >there is my config:
> >chipset: Sis 645
> >MotherB : Biostar - M7SXF
> >Video: ATI Radeon 8500 DV
> >Poc.: P4 2ghz
> >Memory: 1 * 512 Mb
> >Sound: SB Audigy 2
> >HD: 1 IDE UDma 100 60Gb
> >1 DVD Rom
> >1 CDRW
> >Network: DLink DFE 538TX
> >
> >I've the latest drivers for each component.
> >I'm not sure if I've a latency parameter... I'll look for it.
> >

> >sometimes my system reboot instead-of displaying the logon screen
> >

> What OS are you using, Jerome? Also, how have you got your drives set
> up?
>
> If you're using a Sis chipset, it won't be the PCI Latency bug; that
> specifically affects various VIA chipsets only.
>
> patrickp
>

> >"patrickp" <(E-Mail Removed) - take five to email me> wrote in

message news:<Em8cc.53$Xi.32@newsfe1-win>...
> >> "J?j?" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

for

> >> VIA chipset? If so, check you have appropriate chipset drivers

installed;
> >> also look for VIA Latency patch and check that the PCI Latency settings

in
> >> your BIOS are disabled or set to 0.
> >>
> >> Would help if you posted system details etc; very few people here have
> >> strange sidekick powers like what I do...
> >>
> >> patrickp

Did you install the SiS IDE driver? If so, what version?

[neil]

"J?j?" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi,
>
> No, nothing new on my computer.
> My config:
> * P4 2ghz
> * ATI Radeon 8500 DV
> * 512 mb of RAM
>
> I've added a CD burner last week, but all works fine after its
> installation.
> I've no viruses.

Have you tried removing the CD burner? Does that stop the random reboots?

It could even be something as strange as your psu is at it's limit, and
adding another power hungry device pushes it over the edge...

Neil

J?j?

Its a Windows XP Pro version

And Yes, I've installed the Sis IDE driver to try to resolve the
issue, but the problem as started before I install these drivers and
installing this driver don't change anything.

I've also deactivated the VPU recoverer without any more success.

My IDE drive as 3 partitions (10, 20 and 30gb)

I'll try to unlug the CDRW, maybe its a power problem and with the CD
I consume too many power.

> Did you install the SiS IDE driver? If so, what version?

J?j?

I'll try this tonight.

In the past my computer had 2 HD and 1 DVD
now I've 1 HD 1 DVd 1 CDRW

to follow...