rebuilding PC: No Video Input

ccdean100@yahoo.co.uk

I have transferred my PC from a slimline case to a standard one. The
only other thing I have changed is the CPU fan and power supply.

I have had some problems getting the system to stay powered up, but
have resolved that (didnt have power button connectedto mobo). The
problem now is that the monitor is not picking up a video signal
(message on screen "no video input"). I'm using the same graphics
card:

GeForce 7100 GS (PCI-express)

Can anyone help?

Paul

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I have transferred my PC from a slimline case to a standard one. The
> only other thing I have changed is the CPU fan and power supply.
>
> I have had some problems getting the system to stay powered up, but
> have resolved that (didnt have power button connectedto mobo). The
> problem now is that the monitor is not picking up a video signal
> (message on screen "no video input"). I'm using the same graphics
> card:
>
> GeForce 7100 GS (PCI-express)
>
> Can anyone help?

This isn't much of a test, but it will tell you a few things.

Turn off the power and unplug the computer. (I recommend this
anyway, before adding or removing components. It is to guarantee
there is no +5VSB running inside the box while you're working.)

Now, remove the sticks of RAM and store them in an antistatic
bag. Check to make sure the computer case speaker (SPKR cable)
is connected to the correct pins on the motherboard PANEL
header. Turn on the computer. You should hear the "missing RAM"
beep pattern coming from the computer speaker.

If you hear that, you know that:

CPU executed some BIOS code. It won't beep unless some
BIOS code gets executed. If there was no beep, verify
again that the ATX12V 2x2 power connector is plugged into
the board. That is necessary for any recent motherboard.
Older ones may run from the main connector only.

With a PCI Express video card, you may want to verify it is
seated properly.

You can do a similar test, where the RAM is installed, but
the video card is missing. (This assumes the motherboard
does not have integrated video.) With the video card missing,
you should get a "missing video" beep pattern. That gives
you an additional piece of information. It means the computer
tested the RAM and found it to be functional enough, to progress
to the video card test. If reinstalling the RAM leads to complete
silence, sometimes bad RAM can do that - prevent any beep at all.

So the computer case internal speaker can be used for a couple tests.

For more info, please mention the motherboard make and model number.
If this is a Dell you've chopped up, mention the Dell model number
instead.

HTH,
Paul