What is the recommended HTT speed for the AMD 4200+ X2 939 pin CPU?

John Smith

Just got this baby in yesterday. I have it oc'd to HTT 220 and Mulitplied
to 11. I get a speed of 2420.0 MHZ Is that good, or should I tweak it
differently? I have an ASROCK K8 Combo-Z motherboard, and 2 OCZ 1GB sticks
of CAS 2 DDRAM PC3200

Newbie to overclocking.

DRS

"John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:yF5Bg.1326$(E-Mail Removed)
> Just got this baby in yesterday. I have it oc'd to HTT 220 and
> Mulitplied to 11. I get a speed of 2420.0 MHZ Is that good, or
> should I tweak it differently? I have an ASROCK K8 Combo-Z
> motherboard, and 2 OCZ 1GB sticks of CAS 2 DDRAM PC3200
>
> Newbie to overclocking.

Drop your HT multiplier to x4 immediately. 220x5=1100 and you don't want it
that high. Your 4200 should go to 2640 (11x240) comfortably, albeit with
decent cooling and a tad more voltage, but if your RAM won't oc to DDR480
drop your memory speed to DDR333 and the CPU frequency will drag it back up
to DDR398.

John Smith

"DRS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44d50eba$0$21325$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:yF5Bg.1326$(E-Mail Removed)
>> Just got this baby in yesterday. I have it oc'd to HTT 220 and
>> Mulitplied to 11. I get a speed of 2420.0 MHZ Is that good, or
>> should I tweak it differently? I have an ASROCK K8 Combo-Z
>> motherboard, and 2 OCZ 1GB sticks of CAS 2 DDRAM PC3200
>>
>> Newbie to overclocking.

> Drop your HT multiplier to x4 immediately. 220x5=1100 and you don't want
> it that high. Your 4200 should go to 2640 (11x240) comfortably, albeit
> with decent cooling and a tad more voltage, but if your RAM won't oc to
> DDR480 drop your memory speed to DDR333 and the CPU frequency will drag it
> back up to DDR398.

That makes no sense. If the multiplier is 4, then the OS crashes ... it has
to be 11, or even 12. It is rock stable where I have it, and the temps
never peek above 40C.

Kendt.Eklund@gmail.com

John Smith wrote:
[snip]
> That makes no sense. If the multiplier is 4, then the OS crashes ... it has
> to be 11, or even 12. It is rock stable where I have it, and the temps
> never peek above 40C.

Welcome to X64 overclocking - he means the HT multiplier, not the
CPU multiplier. I posted a link to a pretty good comprehensive
overview of OC'ing in a recent thread.
The basic principle is find the maximum absolute Mhz your CPU and
memory can handle, then tweak the multipliers and base speeds to
maximize the FSB and memory bandwidth within those limits.

HTH,
Kendt

John Smith

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> John Smith wrote:
> [snip]
>> That makes no sense. If the multiplier is 4, then the OS crashes ... it
>> has
>> to be 11, or even 12. It is rock stable where I have it, and the temps
>> never peek above 40C.

> Welcome to X64 overclocking - he means the HT multiplier, not the
> CPU multiplier. I posted a link to a pretty good comprehensive
> overview of OC'ing in a recent thread.
> The basic principle is find the maximum absolute Mhz your CPU and
> memory can handle, then tweak the multipliers and base speeds to
> maximize the FSB and memory bandwidth within those limits.
>
> HTH,
> Kendt

Thanks. I am still at a losss as my motherboard manufacturuer does things
differently, being ASROCK. I just succussfully raised the CPU to 2.60 GHZ
and the temps were under 45 C.
These were the settings:
MHZ for CPU = 235
Multiplier = 11
I think the other setting was 2200 ...

John Smith

2200 is correct

DRS

"John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Mn8Bg.129$(E-Mail Removed)
> "DRS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:44d50eba$0$21325$(E-Mail Removed)...

[...]

>> Drop your HT multiplier to x4 immediately. 220x5=1100 and you don't
>> want it that high. Your 4200 should go to 2640 (11x240)
>> comfortably, albeit with decent cooling and a tad more voltage, but
>> if your RAM won't oc to DDR480 drop your memory speed to DDR333 and
>> the CPU frequency will drag it back up to DDR398.

> That makes no sense. If the multiplier is 4, then the OS crashes ...
> it has to be 11, or even 12. It is rock stable where I have it,
> and the temps never peek above 40C.

I said HT multiplier, not CPU multiplier. Bad things can happen when your
HT is running that high and it's completely unnecessary because the HT bus
has so much more bandwidth than the CPU can use anyway that dropping it back
to x4 won't hurt anything. Now, is that temperature at idle or with CPUBurn
runing on both cores?

John Smith

"DRS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44d5d391$0$21300$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Mn8Bg.129$(E-Mail Removed)
>> "DRS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:44d50eba$0$21325$(E-Mail Removed)...

> [...]
>
>>> Drop your HT multiplier to x4 immediately. 220x5=1100 and you don't
>>> want it that high. Your 4200 should go to 2640 (11x240)
>>> comfortably, albeit with decent cooling and a tad more voltage, but
>>> if your RAM won't oc to DDR480 drop your memory speed to DDR333 and
>>> the CPU frequency will drag it back up to DDR398.

>> That makes no sense. If the multiplier is 4, then the OS crashes ...
>> it has to be 11, or even 12. It is rock stable where I have it,
>> and the temps never peek above 40C.

> I said HT multiplier, not CPU multiplier.

Oh, ok. The HT multiplier is set to auto. And those temps are when running
live TV (MCE) and playing a small windows game in a window.

DRS

"John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wamBg.183$(E-Mail Removed)

[...]

> Oh, ok. The HT multiplier is set to auto. And those temps are when
> running live TV (MCE) and playing a small windows game in a window.

Download CPUBurn4 from
http://forum.doom9.org/attachment.ph...4&d=1053782812. Run
BurnK7.exe on both cores simultaneously. Watch the temperature for about 15
or 20 minutes.

John Smith

"DRS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44d5f2c9$0$21319$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:wamBg.183$(E-Mail Removed)
>
> [...]
>
>> Oh, ok. The HT multiplier is set to auto. And those temps are when
>> running live TV (MCE) and playing a small windows game in a window.

> Download CPUBurn4 from
> http://forum.doom9.org/attachment.ph...4&d=1053782812. Run
> BurnK7.exe on both cores simultaneously. Watch the temperature for about
> 15 or 20 minutes.

Thanks. Will give it a try.