Recommended SoundMAX Audio Drivers for P4C800-E Deluxe?

Bazza

I'm about to reformat & re-install WinXP Pro SP2 on my PC & I'm
wondering what SoundMAX Audio Drivers are recommended to use.

On the ASUS support page for the P4C800-E Deluxe it lists
v5.12.01.3630 which are 3 YEARS OLD !!!

Looking at some of the other MB's I found for example, v5.12.01.5290.
But even they are 2 years old.

Surely there are more recent versions available.

Which version of the SoundMAX Audio Drivers should I use & where can
I download them from?

Cheers
Bazza...

Paul

In article <4498b120$0$2804$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Bazza"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm about to reformat & re-install WinXP Pro SP2 on my PC & I'm
> wondering what SoundMAX Audio Drivers are recommended to use.
>
> On the ASUS support page for the P4C800-E Deluxe it lists
> v5.12.01.3630 which are 3 YEARS OLD !!!
>
> Looking at some of the other MB's I found for example, v5.12.01.5290.
> But even they are 2 years old.
>
> Surely there are more recent versions available.
>
> Which version of the SoundMAX Audio Drivers should I use & where can
> I download them from?
>
> Cheers
> Bazza...

If you go to the Supportownload page on the Asus web site, and
search for "P5P800", the P5P800 motherboard also has an ICH5
Southbridge and AD1985 sound chip. I used the 5150 driver from
there, with my P4C800-E Deluxe.

(Click "Drivers")
http://support.asus.com.tw/download/...Language=en-us

I never tried 5242, which has the Soundblaster stuff included.
The Soundblaster stuff is optional. When you download 5242,
you are downloading the same 50MB of stuff mentioned here:

http://www.soundblaster.com/MBupgrade/

What I cannot tell you, is if the Soundmax portion of 5242
still works or not. I didn't waste time on it, and in fact
I've given up on my AD1985 output. I use a separate sound
card now, because the output was so poor in games. (If you
turn your head position in a game, suddenly the treble
would disappear. That is what caused me to reach for the
first cheap sound card I had lying around.)

I think it is safe to say, that Analog Devices knows diddly
about PC sound standards. The SoundMax.com web site offers
no driver downloads, which so many other PC chip makers have
done over the years. To find more recent drivers, means
searching for your chip combination (ICH5/AD1985) on some
other manufacturer's product. For example, Dell had a more
recent driver than Asus.

If you have the cash, find yourself a proper sound card. At
least there might be better adherence to standards.

Paul

Bazza

"Paul" wrote...

> If you go to the Supportownload page on the Asus web site, and
> search for "P5P800", the P5P800 motherboard also has an ICH5
> Southbridge and AD1985 sound chip. I used the 5150 driver from
> there, with my P4C800-E Deluxe.
>
> (Click "Drivers")
> http://support.asus.com.tw/download/...Language=en-us
>
> I never tried 5242, which has the Soundblaster stuff included.
> The Soundblaster stuff is optional. When you download 5242,
> you are downloading the same 50MB of stuff mentioned here:
>
> http://www.soundblaster.com/MBupgrade/
>
> What I cannot tell you, is if the Soundmax portion of 5242
> still works or not. I didn't waste time on it, and in fact
> I've given up on my AD1985 output. I use a separate sound
> card now, because the output was so poor in games. (If you
> turn your head position in a game, suddenly the treble
> would disappear. That is what caused me to reach for the
> first cheap sound card I had lying around.)
>
> I think it is safe to say, that Analog Devices knows diddly
> about PC sound standards. The SoundMax.com web site offers
> no driver downloads, which so many other PC chip makers have
> done over the years. To find more recent drivers, means
> searching for your chip combination (ICH5/AD1985) on some
> other manufacturer's product. For example, Dell had a more
> recent driver than Asus.
>
> If you have the cash, find yourself a proper sound card. At
> least there might be better adherence to standards.
>
> Paul

Paul,

Thanks for your response. I completely agree with your statement ...
"Analog Devices knows diddly about PC sound standards." They are
hopeless. RealTek, on the other hand, frequently release updates.

Anyway, I only play games, music, etc. occasionally so I don't really
need a separate sound card. However, it would be nice to have the
SoundMAX drivers updated occasionally to fix bugs & the like.

I've downloaded versions 3630, 5150, 5242 & 5290. All but 5242 are
around 22mb & the contents of these are very similar. I'll try 5290
1st. If I experience problems then I'll use 5150.

Cheers & thanks very muchly
Bazza...

Realtek vs SoundMax audio drivers - P6T TVeblen Asus 8 04-27-2009 12:35 AM
Any Vista SoundMAX Audio drivers for Asus P4V800D-X le huart Asus 1 03-28-2007 05:41 AM
SoundMax : P4P800 - Crackling, popping audio : my fix Dylan Kucera Asus 5 04-25-2004 01:14 PM
SoundMAX Audio SD-1888 Sept1967 Asus 0 02-26-2004 02:07 AM
P4P800 - Audio skipping, CD and mp3 - SoundMax prob? wheel Asus 5 02-22-2004 12:30 AM