Removing LCD scuffs/scratches

Mike Irwin

I've just recently put about a 1" wide and 2" long scuff/scratch on my Dell
Inspiron 8500 LCD screen. I've tried removing it with a mixture of alcohol
and water, but to no avail.

I searched around on the Internet and found some information about possibly
using Novus #2 plastic polish or some similar products, but I wanted to get
some opinions before I attempt this myself. The thing I'm worried about is
that there appears to be a thin film/cover over the LCD. I think this is
what is actually scratched, so I'm not sure if some type of plastic polish
might actually make it worse.

Does anyone have any experience or opinions on this? I appreciate your time
and input.

Mike Irwin

BD

"Mike Irwin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uO90b.7377$(E-Mail Removed)2.webusenet.com...
> I've just recently put about a 1" wide and 2" long scuff/scratch on my

Dell
> Inspiron 8500 LCD screen. I've tried removing it with a mixture of

alcohol
> and water, but to no avail.
>

> Does anyone have any experience or opinions on this? I appreciate your

time
> and input.
>
> Mike Irwin

Hi Mike,
I asked this same question last month and received the alcohol reco and a
suggestion to try the product listed here http://www.klearscreen.com/
As yet, I tried neither. Let us know if you do and if it works acceptably.
BD

marlinspike

Plus, novus would require way more elbow grease than you would want to apply
to an LCD screen. I use it to polish vintage fountain pens because it's so
gentle, put you would need to press and rub hard.
Richard
"Ian Stirling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bhrkb5$9hs$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In comp.sys.laptops Mike Irwin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I've just recently put about a 1" wide and 2" long scuff/scratch on my

Dell
> > Inspiron 8500 LCD screen. I've tried removing it with a mixture of

alcohol
> > and water, but to no avail.
> >
> > I searched around on the Internet and found some information about

possibly
> > using Novus #2 plastic polish or some similar products, but I wanted to

get
> > some opinions before I attempt this myself. The thing I'm worried about

is
> > that there appears to be a thin film/cover over the LCD. I think this

is
> > what is actually scratched, so I'm not sure if some type of plastic

polish
> > might actually make it worse.

> The front of the screen is glass, it's around half a millimeter think,
> so it might seem to be a cover.
> It's got an antireflection coating on the outside.
> Any polishing you do will destroy this coating, and dramatically
> increase the 'glare' in the polished area.
>
> Polishing it out is possible, but you'd need to do the whole screen,
> risk breaking it, and it'll reflect far more ambient light than it
> did.
>
> --
> http://inquisitor.i.am/ | (E-Mail Removed) | Ian

Stirling.

------
> "Give a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set him on fire, and he's

warm
> for the rest of his life" -- Terry

Pratchett-Jingo

Mike Irwin

"marlinspike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bhrpuq$auc$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Plus, novus would require way more elbow grease than you would want to

apply
> to an LCD screen. I use it to polish vintage fountain pens because it's so
> gentle, put you would need to press and rub hard.

It appears by your suggestions that I should probably just deal with it.
Anyway, thanks for the info.