Removing plastic shroud from Sapphire 4870?

Gary

I've seen mention of this, usually for cleaning purposes or adding a
different fan.

In my case though it's primarily to reduce the bulk of the card. Not only
does the dual size cover a PCIe slot, it also gets uncomfortably close to
one of the few PCI slots, which I need to use.

With the PCI card in place, the fan doesn't get a very good airflow, so not
only does the fan speed increase, but idling temperatures are about 10c
higher (around 70c) than without the PCI card in position.
To increase the gap, I'm thinking of removing the shroud, but I'm guessing
that it's also the housing for the fan, along with directing the airflow out
the back. Anyone removed the shrouding on this card? Any thoughts?

The card version is this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-RAD...dp/B002GNMRU0/

TIA,
Gary

Gary

"First of One" <root@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This picture shows the typical locations of screw bosses in the fan
> shroud.
> http://www.jayceooi.com/wp-content/u..._hd4870_05.jpg
>
> You will have the separate the entire heat sink / fan assembly from the
> PCB. Then you'll be able to access the fan shroud screws from the bottom
> of the aluminum plate. You will have to reapply thermal paste to the GPU
> die and VRMs when you reinstall the heat sink / fan assembly.

Thanks.

> What brand of case do you use? Is there an optional side panel available
> with a mesh opening in the expansion card area? A vented side panel can
> easily lower temperatures by 10C.

I actually have the side panel removed. I tried long ago to keep things cool
without needing this, but it's always cooler with it removed. A tad noisier
of course, but bearable.

This image shows the proximity of the shrouding to the PCI slot:
http://img693.imageshack.us/i/sapphi...videocard.jpg/

Obviously with a PCI card in place, the fan intake area is compromised. It's
a pity I didn't get a version with a rear fan

Gary

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

> What is the pci card?

I've opted for my smallest PCI card in that slot, it's a Skystar 2 satellite
receiver card. Although full height, it's not as long as the other two I
use, so not quite as 'suffocating'.