Removing RAID0 from a GA 8KNXP v2

Brian Griffin

At the moment I have a Gigabyte GA 8KNXP v2 with an ICH5R RAID 0 across two
SATA WD Raptor 36gb HDDs for OS, progs and data. I also have a single WD
Caviar 250gb HDD on the Sil3112 for backup. I want to get rid of the RAID
and just use the raptors as two separate drives on the ICH5R, one drive for
the OS and programs and the other drive for data. I have tried various
combinations of options in the bios, all of which seemed obvious but to no
avail. Can anyone put me on the right track or better still lead me step by
step through the conversion?

OldMan

You cannot remove raid 0 you have to clean install your o/s & programs,
setting your sys to none raid environment. Refer to your mobo manual, for
none raid bios settings

"Brian Griffin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:tURxl.8791$(E-Mail Removed)2...
> At the moment I have a Gigabyte GA 8KNXP v2 with an ICH5R RAID 0 across
> two SATA WD Raptor 36gb HDDs for OS, progs and data. I also have a single
> WD Caviar 250gb HDD on the Sil3112 for backup. I want to get rid of the
> RAID and just use the raptors as two separate drives on the ICH5R, one
> drive for the OS and programs and the other drive for data. I have tried
> various combinations of options in the bios, all of which seemed obvious
> but to no avail. Can anyone put me on the right track or better still lead
> me step by step through the conversion?

Brian Griffin

Hi Oldman, although at 57 myself perhaps I should say fellow old man.
Thanks for the post, I'll investigate further and get back to you.
Cheers,
Brian

"OldMan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:C7Sxl.57559$(E-Mail Removed)2...
> You cannot remove raid 0 you have to clean install your o/s & programs,
> setting your sys to none raid environment. Refer to your mobo manual, for
> none raid bios settings
>
> "Brian Griffin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:tURxl.8791$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>> At the moment I have a Gigabyte GA 8KNXP v2 with an ICH5R RAID 0 across
>> two SATA WD Raptor 36gb HDDs for OS, progs and data. I also have a single
>> WD Caviar 250gb HDD on the Sil3112 for backup. I want to get rid of the
>> RAID and just use the raptors as two separate drives on the ICH5R, one
>> drive for the OS and programs and the other drive for data. I have tried
>> various combinations of options in the bios, all of which seemed obvious
>> but to no avail. Can anyone put me on the right track or better still
>> lead me step by step through the conversion?

Onsokumaru

You should be able to create a disk image.

Break RAID, then restore image to single disk, assuming it's on the same
machine.

I haven't done it with your particular chipset though.

"Brian Griffin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:YiSxl.8964$(E-Mail Removed)2...
> Hi Oldman, although at 57 myself perhaps I should say fellow old man.
> Thanks for the post, I'll investigate further and get back to you.
> Cheers,
> Brian
>
> "OldMan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:C7Sxl.57559$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>> You cannot remove raid 0 you have to clean install your o/s & programs,
>> setting your sys to none raid environment. Refer to your mobo manual, for
>> none raid bios settings
>>
>> "Brian Griffin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:tURxl.8791$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>>> At the moment I have a Gigabyte GA 8KNXP v2 with an ICH5R RAID 0 across
>>> two SATA WD Raptor 36gb HDDs for OS, progs and data. I also have a
>>> single WD Caviar 250gb HDD on the Sil3112 for backup. I want to get rid
>>> of the RAID and just use the raptors as two separate drives on the
>>> ICH5R, one drive for the OS and programs and the other drive for data. I
>>> have tried various combinations of options in the bios, all of which
>>> seemed obvious but to no avail. Can anyone put me on the right track or
>>> better still lead me step by step through the conversion?

OldMan

I pre date you
The other post (Image) is a good idea

"Brian Griffin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:YiSxl.8964$(E-Mail Removed)2...
> Hi Oldman, although at 57 myself perhaps I should say fellow old man.
> Thanks for the post, I'll investigate further and get back to you.
> Cheers,
> Brian
>
> "OldMan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:C7Sxl.57559$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>> You cannot remove raid 0 you have to clean install your o/s & programs,
>> setting your sys to none raid environment. Refer to your mobo manual, for
>> none raid bios settings
>>
>> "Brian Griffin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:tURxl.8791$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>>> At the moment I have a Gigabyte GA 8KNXP v2 with an ICH5R RAID 0 across
>>> two SATA WD Raptor 36gb HDDs for OS, progs and data. I also have a
>>> single WD Caviar 250gb HDD on the Sil3112 for backup. I want to get rid
>>> of the RAID and just use the raptors as two separate drives on the
>>> ICH5R, one drive for the OS and programs and the other drive for data. I
>>> have tried various combinations of options in the bios, all of which
>>> seemed obvious but to no avail. Can anyone put me on the right track or
>>> better still lead me step by step through the conversion?

Brian Griffin

After several days of trial and error, I have (partially) done what I set
out to do. To break the RAID, I had to CTRL+I to enter the ICH5R RAID
utility, and used this to "break" the RAID or whatever the word was. After
further trial and error, I have now got XP working on one of the drives that
originally formed the RAID, unfortunately this drive is now labelled "I". I
have copied an image of this drive to the other former RAID drive and
labelled this drive "C". I went back into the BIOS to get it to boot from
drive C, but changing the drive boot sequence did not have the desired
effect but just changed over the names of the drives which I had given them.
The computer still boots from drive I. How do I get it to boot from drive C,
which is incidentally "active"?
Cheers,
Brian

"OldMan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:MMbyl.150431$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>I pre date you
> The other post (Image) is a good idea
>
> "Brian Griffin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:YiSxl.8964$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>> Hi Oldman, although at 57 myself perhaps I should say fellow old man.
>> Thanks for the post, I'll investigate further and get back to you.
>> Cheers,
>> Brian
>>
>> "OldMan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:C7Sxl.57559$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>>> You cannot remove raid 0 you have to clean install your o/s & programs,
>>> setting your sys to none raid environment. Refer to your mobo manual,
>>> for none raid bios settings
>>>
>>> "Brian Griffin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:tURxl.8791$(E-Mail Removed)2...

Junior Member

which OS do you have on your box ?

Barry OGrady

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 20:17:18 -0000, "OldMan"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>You cannot remove raid 0 you have to clean install your o/s & programs,
>setting your sys to none raid environment. Refer to your mobo manual, for
>none raid bios settings

While true please don't top post.

>"Brian Griffin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:tURxl.8791$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>> At the moment I have a Gigabyte GA 8KNXP v2 with an ICH5R RAID 0 across
>> two SATA WD Raptor 36gb HDDs for OS, progs and data. I also have a single
>> WD Caviar 250gb HDD on the Sil3112 for backup. I want to get rid of the
>> RAID and just use the raptors as two separate drives on the ICH5R, one
>> drive for the OS and programs and the other drive for data. I have tried
>> various combinations of options in the bios, all of which seemed obvious
>> but to no avail. Can anyone put me on the right track or better still lead
>> me step by step through the conversion?

==========
"Christians, it is needless to say, utterly detest each other. They
slander each other constantly with the vilest forms of abuse and cannot
come to any sort of agreement in their teachings. Each sect brands its
own, fills the head of its own with deceitful nonsense, and makes perfect
little pigs of those it wins over to its side."
[R.J.Hoffmann]

Barry OGrady

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 20:29:34 -0000, "Brian Griffin"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi Oldman, although at 57 myself perhaps I should say fellow old man.
>Thanks for the post, I'll investigate further and get back to you.

Follow proper posting standards by not top posting.

>Cheers,
>Brian
>
>"OldMan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:C7Sxl.57559$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>> You cannot remove raid 0 you have to clean install your o/s & programs,
>> setting your sys to none raid environment. Refer to your mobo manual, for
>> none raid bios settings
>>
>> "Brian Griffin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:tURxl.8791$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>>> At the moment I have a Gigabyte GA 8KNXP v2 with an ICH5R RAID 0 across
>>> two SATA WD Raptor 36gb HDDs for OS, progs and data. I also have a single
>>> WD Caviar 250gb HDD on the Sil3112 for backup. I want to get rid of the
>>> RAID and just use the raptors as two separate drives on the ICH5R, one
>>> drive for the OS and programs and the other drive for data. I have tried
>>> various combinations of options in the bios, all of which seemed obvious
>>> but to no avail. Can anyone put me on the right track or better still
>>> lead me step by step through the conversion?

==========
"Christians, it is needless to say, utterly detest each other. They
slander each other constantly with the vilest forms of abuse and cannot
come to any sort of agreement in their teachings. Each sect brands its
own, fills the head of its own with deceitful nonsense, and makes perfect
little pigs of those it wins over to its side."
[R.J.Hoffmann]

Barry OGrady

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 13:33:27 -0000, "Brian Griffin"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>After several days of trial and error, I have (partially) done what I set
>out to do. To break the RAID, I had to CTRL+I to enter the ICH5R RAID
>utility, and used this to "break" the RAID or whatever the word was. After
>further trial and error, I have now got XP working on one of the drives that
>originally formed the RAID, unfortunately this drive is now labelled "I". I
>have copied an image of this drive to the other former RAID drive and
>labelled this drive "C". I went back into the BIOS to get it to boot from
>drive C, but changing the drive boot sequence did not have the desired
>effect but just changed over the names of the drives which I had given them.
>The computer still boots from drive I. How do I get it to boot from drive C,
>which is incidentally "active"?

First of all don'y top post. It messes up the attributions.

You need to make the drive you want to boot from C: then do a fresh
install on that drive.
If you change the drive letter Windows will no longer boot.