How to replace Dell splash screen on startup??

Jenny

I would like to put my own image in the place of the
Dell splash screen on start up (dell L550r) with
w2k. Is that possible???
Thanks

HH

I may be wrong, but I don't believe that's possible. The Dell screen is in
BIOS.

HH

"Jenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:VxuRb.1840$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I would like to put my own image in the place of the
> Dell splash screen on start up (dell L550r) with
> w2k. Is that possible???
> Thanks

Ray

The splash screen image is nothing other than a .bmp image that you should
find in the C:\WINDOWS folder (My Dell splash image had a file name of
DELL.BMP.). If you do not find it there, do a search for .BMP files and you
will find all .BMP images on your system including the ones that are
available from the Desktop Display Properties menu. You can modify the
existing images or create a new one, place in that file, and pull it up via
a desktop display properties. If creating a new one, I would suggest a 1020
X 770 pixel image size with a resolution of at least 100 pixels/inch or
better.

"Jenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:VxuRb.1840$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I would like to put my own image in the place of the
> Dell splash screen on start up (dell L550r) with
> w2k. Is that possible???
> Thanks

Noah

Jenny <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I would like to put my own image in the place of the
> Dell splash screen on start up (dell L550r) with
> w2k. Is that possible???
> Thanks

Sorry, it's not possible. There might be a way to piggy back a chip
or reverse engineer Dell's nvram scheme, but I doubt it's worth pursuing.
This is awfully close to the password protection code too, so I'd guess
it's a well kept secret and purposefully obfusicated.

Retail Intel motherboards do have a user programmable flash region for
the logo - with utilities to make your own "company" logo.

The bright side is that you have better-than-retail theft protection.

Jenny

Hi Ray, it appears the others are right. I don't have a dell.bmp \
You must have a different dell than I do. And it only makes sense
that the splash on opening is not in windows because windows hasn't
opened yet.
But thanks much,
Jenny

"Ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2iwRb.28692$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> The splash screen image is nothing other than a .bmp image that you should
> find in the C:\WINDOWS folder (My Dell splash image had a file name of
> DELL.BMP.). If you do not find it there, do a search for .BMP files and

you
> will find all .BMP images on your system including the ones that are
> available from the Desktop Display Properties menu. You can modify the
> existing images or create a new one, place in that file, and pull it up

via
> a desktop display properties. If creating a new one, I would suggest a

1020
> X 770 pixel image size with a resolution of at least 100 pixels/inch or
> better.
>
> "Jenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:VxuRb.1840$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I would like to put my own image in the place of the
> > Dell splash screen on start up (dell L550r) with
> > w2k. Is that possible???
> > Thanks

Tom Scales

It depends on what screen you're talking about. The screen that says DELL in
big letters, no you can't.

The screen that says Windows, or Windows By Dell, yes, you can, it is a
files called logo.sys. Just google search logo.sys and you'll find examples.

Tom
"Jenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:VxuRb.1840$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I would like to put my own image in the place of the
> Dell splash screen on start up (dell L550r) with
> w2k. Is that possible???
> Thanks

Jenny

I mean the first screen that has DELL with WWW. Dell...whatever. So I
gather
it can't be changed. That's a shame.
Thanks

"Tom Scales" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It depends on what screen you're talking about. The screen that says DELL

in
> big letters, no you can't.
>
> The screen that says Windows, or Windows By Dell, yes, you can, it is a
> files called logo.sys. Just google search logo.sys and you'll find

examples.

> Tom
> "Jenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:VxuRb.1840$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I would like to put my own image in the place of the
> > Dell splash screen on start up (dell L550r) with
> > w2k. Is that possible???
> > Thanks

Lawrence Glasser

Jenny wrote:

> I mean the first screen that has DELL with WWW. Dell...whatever. So I
> gather
> it can't be changed. That's a shame.

No insult intended, but... It's beyond me why some people are so against
the Dell screen.

Turn on your computer, grab a cup of coffee (or whatever), and by the
time you come back, the screen will be gone. <g>

Larry

Dave

"Lawrence Glasser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jenny wrote:
> >
> > I mean the first screen that has DELL with WWW. Dell...whatever. So I
> > gather
> > it can't be changed. That's a shame.

> No insult intended, but... It's beyond me why some people are so against
> the Dell screen.
>
> Turn on your computer, grab a cup of coffee (or whatever), and by the
> time you come back, the screen will be gone. <g>
>
> Larry

Or, don't ever turn off the PC. Wait, that won't work. It's probably
running Windows, you have no control when it gets turned off. Or, don't
turn on your monitor until several long moments after you turn on the PC.
Or, here's the non-flippant answer, disable quiet boot. The quiet boot
option shows a BIG dell logo until the Windows logo comes up (usually). By
disabling it, you get a small dell logo with a bunch of POST info.

I know it's probably not the Dell logo you want to get rid of. You probably
just want to put up your own really cool logo. I would probably check out
some pc mod sites. Modders do this kind of thing all the time. I don't
know many mod sites, but I've heard of www.yoshi.us, and www.pimprig.com.

--
Dave
"stirkus ersu venete"

Michael J. Apollyon

"Jenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cXcSb.68283$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> I mean the first screen that has DELL with
> WWW. Dell...whatever. So I gather
> it can't be changed. That's a shame.
> Thanks

Dell makes it very easy to change the splash screen on the
portable line. Of course, that doesn't really help with your
L550r.