Replace GPU fan?

Andy

Hi,

I have a Chaintech FX 5700 Ultra card; the initial one the fan seized
almost right away and burnt out the card and MB. They sent me a
replacement, which has been fine until now. The fan is making some
noise, and I think it will fail soon. I'd like to replace it, but
don't know where to get a fan that will fit.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Andy

Davy

Not too sure about Chaintech, had similar problem with the Northbridge
fan on my Gigabyte mobo, kept stopping and ceasing up about four years
down the road, luckily it did no damage.

Not surprising they didn't last long with 2 small brass bearings at
each end, mind you they carry no weight, but they wear and dust
start's to build up.

The only positive way is to replace it, it doesn't have to be the
same physical size as long as you can mount it securely on the
heatsink. Looking at my graphic card fan that's even flimsier and
never given me any problems.

Noisy fans usually an indication that either the fan blades are not
balanced, they've been damaged or the bearings are 'goofed' and the
spindle is wackering about as it spins, dust and fluff build's up
and cause them to be noisy, could also be the blades are catching the
heatsink.

The blades are usually held on be a plastic retaining ring under the
label on the back, if you try to remove it ensure you recover the
bearing to stop dust.

When I got on to Gigabyte, they sent me 3 free of charge and the mobo
was out of warranty....! You could alway's see if they could send
you a replacement, other than that it's a shop around job, how about
Radio Shack, Tandy's etc .

Davy