Replaced bad motherboard XP will not start

You also try running a repair installation of XP to see if this can repair
the problem. A future option to consider is backup software with an
emergency boot CD capable of restoring your files in case of hardware
failure. You can find such software on the internet and one which I
recommend is located here:

http://www.dantz.com/

regards

"Bill at A+" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ugnEb.4166$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I had a motherboard go bad in a windows XP system. I replaced it with a
> different model because the other was no longer available. Now XP gets to
> the start choices screen but will not start. No matter which start option

> choose it restarts the computer. I have booted to the disk and ran the
> repair option. I have also went into repair mode and ran chkdsk. Do I

have
> to run the install off the disk and will I lose everything on it now?
>
> TIA
> Please E-mail
> Bill

Bill at A+

I had a motherboard go bad in a windows XP system. I replaced it with a
different model because the other was no longer available. Now XP gets to
the start choices screen but will not start. No matter which start option I
choose it restarts the computer. I have booted to the disk and ran the
repair option. I have also went into repair mode and ran chkdsk. Do I have
to run the install off the disk and will I lose everything on it now?

TIA
Please E-mail
Bill

TMack

"Bill at A+" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ugnEb.4166$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I had a motherboard go bad in a windows XP system. I replaced it with a
> different model because the other was no longer available. Now XP gets to
> the start choices screen but will not start. No matter which start option

> choose it restarts the computer. I have booted to the disk and ran the
> repair option. I have also went into repair mode and ran chkdsk. Do I

have
> to run the install off the disk and will I lose everything on it now?

If the previous motherboard had a different chipset to the new one XP will
look for the old ide hard disk controller - when it doesn't find it it will
halt or reboot. There is no solution to this other than to use the old
motherboard (may not be possible in your case) or one with the same
chipset - boot with this and change ide controller to microsoft standard
dual ide controller. It will then boot with new motherboard.

Tony

Sick Willie

"Bill at A+" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ugnEb.4166$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I had a motherboard go bad in a windows XP system. I replaced it with a
> different model because the other was no longer available. Now XP gets to
> the start choices screen but will not start. No matter which start option

> choose it restarts the computer. I have booted to the disk and ran the
> repair option. I have also went into repair mode and ran chkdsk. Do I

have
> to run the install off the disk and will I lose everything on it now?

Start the XP CD. Don't pick repair, pick install. XP should find the old
installation and give you the choice of repair or install. Pick repair. Be
sure to have your Product Key. Odds are excellent that you will have to
re-activate.

Sick Willie

J.Clarke

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 20:01:09 -0000
"TMack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Bill at A+" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ugnEb.4166$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I had a motherboard go bad in a windows XP system. I replaced it
> > with a different model because the other was no longer available.
> > Now XP gets to the start choices screen but will not start. No
> > matter which start option

> > choose it restarts the computer. I have booted to the disk and ran
> > the repair option. I have also went into repair mode and ran chkdsk.
> > Do I

> have
> > to run the install off the disk and will I lose everything on it
> > now?

> If the previous motherboard had a different chipset to the new one XP
> will look for the old ide hard disk controller - when it doesn't find
> it it will halt or reboot. There is no solution to this other than to
> use the old motherboard (may not be possible in your case) or one with
> the same chipset - boot with this and change ide controller to
> microsoft standard dual ide controller. It will then boot with new
> motherboard.

It should be possible to do a parallel install in a different directory,
import the appropriate registry hive from the dead installation, patch
it, and export it, but I've not tried that with XP.

Not for the faint of heart though.

> Tony

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

TMack

"J.Clarke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) d...
> On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 20:01:09 -0000
> "TMack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > "Bill at A+" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:ugnEb.4166$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I had a motherboard go bad in a windows XP system. I replaced it
> > > with a different model because the other was no longer available.
> > > Now XP gets to the start choices screen but will not start. No
> > > matter which start option

> > > choose it restarts the computer. I have booted to the disk and ran
> > > the repair option. I have also went into repair mode and ran chkdsk.
> > > Do I

> > have
> > > to run the install off the disk and will I lose everything on it
> > > now?

> > If the previous motherboard had a different chipset to the new one XP
> > will look for the old ide hard disk controller - when it doesn't find
> > it it will halt or reboot. There is no solution to this other than to
> > use the old motherboard (may not be possible in your case) or one with
> > the same chipset - boot with this and change ide controller to
> > microsoft standard dual ide controller. It will then boot with new
> > motherboard.

> It should be possible to do a parallel install in a different directory,
> import the appropriate registry hive from the dead installation, patch
> it, and export it, but I've not tried that with XP.

Interesting idea - I might try it if I ever find myself in that situation
again and I can't use the old motherboard - last time it happened with win2k
I was able to use the old motherboard so it wasn't a major problem.

Tony