Replacement for D865PERL??

cew

After trying a new disk, a fresh W2K install, a new AGP card, switching
RAM modules around, (nothing else except MB and CPU), and completely
disassembling and re assembling the computer, it looks like my D865PERL
is flaky. First it was silent, complete lockups after S3 wakeup, and now
also when trying to cold boot. (cold literally means after the computer
sits powered off for a few hours.)

I don't need or want any more capability than the 865, and I'd like to
reuse my CPU, RAM, and AGP.

What do you recommend as a replacement MB - Intel or not.
Thanks.

George Orwell

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 16:50:51 -0700, cew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I don't need or want any more capability than the 865, and I'd like to
>reuse my CPU, RAM, and AGP.
>What do you recommend as a replacement MB - Intel or not.
>Thanks.

The problem is that all of your components are no longer compatible with
current offerings. You're just not going to find anything sold in the
stores that accepts a socket 478 processor, DDR memory, and AGP card. If
you find a motherboard that does accept a 478 CPU, it will only have PCI-E
x16 for the video and/or DDR2 memory slots. Newer motherboards also
require a 24-pin power supply, although you can still use a 20-pin power
supply if your video card doesn't require a lot of current.

If you browse to eBay a few people are selling your motherboard. Then
there's your local Craigslist. Somebody there may have an older motherboard
for sale. Asus is an ok brand. Another way to go is just buy a complete
used system (less display) and forget about using your components. There
are some great deals out there on systems only 2 or 3 years old.
Especially with the holidays coming up, people are both looking to generate
some cash or to get rid of a system replaced by something under the Holiday
Tree:-)

https://www.mixmaster.it

cew

George Orwell wrote:

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 16:50:51 -0700, cew &lt;(E-Mail Removed)&gt; wrote:

I don't need or want any more capability than the 865, and I'd like to reuse my CPU, RAM, and AGP. What do you recommend as a replacement MB - Intel or not. Thanks.

The problem is that all of your components are no longer compatible with current offerings. You're just not going to find anything sold in the stores that accepts a socket 478 processor, DDR memory, and AGP card. If you find a motherboard that does accept a 478 CPU, it will only have PCI-E x16 for the video and/or DDR2 memory slots. Newer motherboards also require a 24-pin power supply, although you can still use a 20-pin power supply if your video card doesn't require a lot of current. If you browse to eBay a few people are selling your motherboard. Then there's your local Craigslist. Somebody there may have an older motherboard for sale. Asus is an ok brand. Another way to go is just buy a complete used system (less display) and forget about using your components. There are some great deals out there on systems only 2 or 3 years old. Especially with the holidays coming up, people are both looking to generate some cash or to get rid of a system replaced by something under the Holiday Tree:-) Il mittente di questo messaggio|The sender address of this non corrisponde ad un utente |message is not related to a real reale ma all'indirizzo fittizio|person but to a fake address of an di un sistema anonimizzatore |anonymous system Per maggiori informazioni |For more info https://www.mixmaster.it

D865PESOL ? - 478 socket, DDR, AGP. Can a microATX be installed in a mid-size case?
Asus P4P800-SE ? - 478 socket, DDR, AGP
Abit IS7-E2G ? - 478 socket, DDR, AGP

cew

George Orwell wrote:

[...]

D875PBZ ? - 478 socket, DDR, AGP

cew

cew wrote:
> After trying a new disk, a fresh W2K install, a new AGP card,
> switching RAM modules around, (nothing else except MB and CPU), and
> completely disassembling and re assembling the computer, it looks like
> my D865PERL is flaky. First it was silent, complete lockups after S3
> wakeup, and now also when trying to cold boot. (cold literally means
> after the computer sits powered off for a few hours.)
>
> I don't need or want any more capability than the 865, and I'd like to
> reuse my CPU, RAM, and AGP.
>
> What do you recommend as a replacement MB - Intel or not.
> Thanks.

In case this is of interest to anyone ---
I replaced my DRAM with a Crucial (Micron) 1G kit. Symptoms are much
reduced. Sometimes the computer goes through several S3 standby cycles,
even over night, with no problems. And no more multiple resets to get
the computer to boot. But it does still hang sometimes after S3
standby. I'll try a different PS, as Mr. Orwell suggested, before
changing MBs.

George Orwell

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 09:19:24 -0700, cew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I replaced my DRAM with a Crucial (Micron) 1G kit. Symptoms are much
>reduced. Sometimes the computer goes through several S3 standby cycles,
>even over night, with no problems. And no more multiple resets to get
>the computer to boot. But it does still hang sometimes after S3
>standby. I'll try a different PS, as Mr. Orwell suggested, before
>changing MBs.

If you can get your computer stable just booting an OS and running
applications, maybe that's enough. I recently changed cases to an Antec
Solo with Seasonic S12 430w PS. The system runs very quiet and stable.

As an experiment I tried running Vista on the D865PERL. Everything works
fine except the Analog Devices AD1985 onboard audio. There aren't any
Vista audio drivers at the Intel website for this motherboard nor does it
appear there ever will.

https://www.mixmaster.it

cew

George Orwell wrote:

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 09:19:24 -0700, cew &lt;(E-Mail Removed)&gt; wrote:

I replaced my DRAM with a Crucial (Micron) 1G kit. Symptoms are much reduced. Sometimes the computer goes through several S3 standby cycles, even over night, with no problems. And no more multiple resets to get the computer to boot. But it does still hang sometimes after S3 standby. I'll try a different PS, as Mr. Orwell suggested, before changing MBs.

If you can get your computer stable just booting an OS and running applications, maybe that's enough. I recently changed cases to an Antec Solo with Seasonic S12 430w PS. The system runs very quiet and stable. As an experiment I tried running Vista on the D865PERL. Everything works fine except the Analog Devices AD1985 onboard audio. There aren't any Vista audio drivers at the Intel website for this motherboard nor does it appear there ever will. Il mittente di questo messaggio|The sender address of this non corrisponde ad un utente |message is not related to a real reale ma all'indirizzo fittizio|person but to a fake address of an di un sistema anonimizzatore |anonymous system Per maggiori informazioni |For more info https://www.mixmaster.it

I've only had two computers with S3 capability. The first one built on a VC820, with W98SE and W2K, worked fine for 5 years (and still does). This one worked fine for over a year, then started having problems. I would really like to get it working right again.
At this point, it HAS to be either the PS or the MB. Neither very expensive to try. Right now, I'd guess S3 wakeup works about 2/3 of the time without a subsequent hang. Thanks for you help.
btw, how can you not be related to a real person? Unless you're pure, self-writing software.

Frito Lay

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 16:53:52 -0700, cew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>btw, how can you not be related to a real person? Unless you're pure,
>self-writing software.

Life is full of mysteries. How come your posts suddenly appear as HTML?
In order to read your messages I have to change my newsreader to display
the raw message vs. the plain text setting. I only mention this as you may
be unaware that it's happening.

cew

Frito Lay wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 16:53:52 -0700, cew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> btw, how can you not be related to a real person? Unless you're pure,
>> self-writing software.
>>

> Life is full of mysteries. How come your posts suddenly appear as HTML?
> In order to read your messages I have to change my newsreader to display
> the raw message vs. the plain text setting. I only mention this as you may
> be unaware that it's happening.

Probably because I made a mistake and selected HTML when I sent them. Sorry.

cew

I wrongly maligned you. Looks like my problem was the P/S, or maybe P/S and Ram.
Replaced an Antec 450w Smart Power with an Antec 550w Truepower Trio, and no problems for 4 days
now. Goes into S3 standby instantly on request, wakes up instantly on request with no hangups, and
does not spontaneously wake up in the middle of the night anymore.
I noticed that the new P/S output voltages, as reported by Intel Active Manager, are all rock solid.
Looks like a static image. The old P/S showed a lot of ripple around nominal - never out of range
that I saw, but ripple.
The computer is also staying cool at lower fan speeds, and slightly quieter.

Thanks for the help -- should have listened to Mr. Orwell at the start.