Replacement external drive

Michelle Steiner

The POS Seagate GoFlex Desk for Mac has crapped out one time too many, so
I'm going to replace it.

Any suggestions for a reliable drive? Has to be external, and doesn't have
to be mobile. In fact, I'd prefer it not to be mobile because mobile
drives cost more per gigabyte than desk models.

--
All usenet users are quirky, but some are more quirky than others.

Salmon Egg

Michelle Steiner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The POS Seagate GoFlex Desk for Mac has crapped out one time too many, so
> I'm going to replace it.
>
> Any suggestions for a reliable drive? Has to be external, and doesn't have
> to be mobile. In fact, I'd prefer it not to be mobile because mobile
> drives cost more per gigabyte than desk models.

I have not checked lately, but if you find an internal drive you would
like otherwise, I'm pretty sure you can get an enclosure that turns it
into an external drive. The enclosure may even give you a choice of
FireWire or USB.

There also are docking device you can stick a bare drive into. You might
have to be a bit more careful to prevent unwanted electrostatic
discharge from killing the drive's electronics.

--

Sam

Liberals are for Darwinism but totally against any selection.

Patty Winter

Michelle Steiner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>The POS Seagate GoFlex Desk for Mac has crapped out one time too many, so
>I'm going to replace it.
>
>Any suggestions for a reliable drive?

The LaCie I got for my Power Mac G4 many years ago is still fine.
When I bought this iMac a couple of years ago, I got an Iomega eGo
Mac Edition, which has also been very reliable. (I partitioned it
with one half being dedicated to Time Machine and the other half
for my own files.) However, it appears that the latter are no longer
available; Lenovo has bought Iomega and doesn't have a consumer
storage products category on their website, and Iomega products
have disappeared from the online Apple Store.

The storage products section of the online store has ratings and
reviews you can look at.

Patty

Howard S Shubs

Michelle Steiner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The POS Seagate GoFlex Desk for Mac has crapped out one time too many, so
> I'm going to replace it.
>
> Any suggestions for a reliable drive? Has to be external, and doesn't have
> to be mobile. In fact, I'd prefer it not to be mobile because mobile
> drives cost more per gigabyte than desk models.

Go to http://newegg.com and build what you like. Pick a drive with a 5
year warranty, and a compatible case with a look you like.

Jamie Kahn Genet

Michelle Steiner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The POS Seagate GoFlex Desk for Mac has crapped out one time too many, so
> I'm going to replace it.
>
> Any suggestions for a reliable drive? Has to be external, and doesn't have
> to be mobile. In fact, I'd prefer it not to be mobile because mobile
> drives cost more per gigabyte than desk models.

The longest lived external HD I've had in recent times was my LaCie
Quadra - it lasted five years. I've always liked LaCie's less artistic
desktop HD designs.

The shortest were a succession of replacements for a Seagate OneTouch IV
drive - finally replaced by a completely different model that hasn't
died in only a few months.

If I had the money I'd buy a Drobo and use any old cheap HDs with three
year plus warranties to fill it. It's not a pain if the drive dies under
warranty and you lose nothing, even time to restore data.

Jamie Kahn Genet

Salmon Egg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have not checked lately, but if you find an internal drive you would
> like otherwise, I'm pretty sure you can get an enclosure that turns it
> into an external drive. The enclosure may even give you a choice of
> FireWire or USB.

If you're going to do that, I like the faster more reliable, better
warrentied internal WD VelociRaptor drives (I use one inside this iMac -
it's much better than the Apple supplied original). Obviously wasted in
anything less than a FW 800 enclosure.

William Clark

Michelle Steiner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The POS Seagate GoFlex Desk for Mac has crapped out one time too many, so
> I'm going to replace it.
>
> Any suggestions for a reliable drive? Has to be external, and doesn't have
> to be mobile. In fact, I'd prefer it not to be mobile because mobile
> drives cost more per gigabyte than desk models.

Well, I'd stay away from LaCie. I have had four of their drives, and
three of them quit in a year. And as for their power supplies!

Neill Massello

Michelle Steiner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The POS Seagate GoFlex Desk for Mac has crapped out one time too many, so
> I'm going to replace it.
>
> Any suggestions for a reliable drive? Has to be external, and doesn't have
> to be mobile. In fact, I'd prefer it not to be mobile because mobile
> drives cost more per gigabyte than desk models.

What are your preferences in regard to speed, interface, and noise?

Lewis

In message <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>
Michelle Steiner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The POS Seagate GoFlex Desk for Mac has crapped out one time too many, so
> I'm going to replace it.

Yep, as much as I like Seagate drives, that is exactly how much I hate
their ****ing piece of **** external drives.

> Any suggestions for a reliable drive? Has to be external, and doesn't have
> to be mobile.

I haven't found a reliable external. I buy bare drives and stick them
into MediaSonic ProRaid boxes. Ever single drive external I have is
either as crappy as the Seagates or only marginally better.

--
"Oh damn", said Maladict.

Michael Vilain

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
William Clark <(E-Mail Removed)-state.edu> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> Michelle Steiner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > The POS Seagate GoFlex Desk for Mac has crapped out one time too many, so
> > I'm going to replace it.
> >
> > Any suggestions for a reliable drive? Has to be external, and doesn't have
> > to be mobile. In fact, I'd prefer it not to be mobile because mobile
> > drives cost more per gigabyte than desk models.

> Well, I'd stay away from LaCie. I have had four of their drives, and
> three of them quit in a year. And as for their power supplies!

Must be you then, because I got my LaCie on the recommendation of
SuperDuper!. I had two disks go bad, one from Western Digital and the
other from Seagate/Maxtor. The Seagate came back from the manufacturer
after 6 weeks and I haven't trusted it to do much since, expect do a
back up in a pinch.

I got a bare SATA drive from Amazon and just plugged them into my MacPro
(Hitachi 2TB). You may want to go the "buy an enclosure and your own
drive", but that's up to you. Instead, I'd rather get something from a
known reliable Mac vendor, like OtherWorld Computing.

My LaCie has been going strong for over 3 years. Obviously, YMMV.