Replacement HD - Interface question

Ken Spencer

I am going to replace the HD in my ThinkPad T-40. Went to newegg and
they have two different Western Digital 60 GB Scorpio drives. One
says it's ATA-6, and the other says it's IDE Ultra ATA 100. They are
two separate drives - the ATA-6 one has a 2 MB cache, and the IDE has
an 8 MB cache.

I went to Wikipedia to look at the differences with the interfaces, and
it *appears* that the two
interfaces are the same... It is that true?

ATA/ATAPI-6
ATA-6, Ultra ATA/100
UDMA 5 (100)
AKA Ultra DMA 100
144*PB
48-bit LBA, Device Configuration Overlay (DCO),
Automatic Acoustic Management

Does is matter which drive I use for the replacement? I would prefer
the one with the 8 MB cache, naturally.

The original IBM Hitachi drive just says IDE/ATA on it.

Thanks for any help with this.

Ken
--
To reply with email, please remove "ECM" from email address.

ken10254

They are the same, except for the cache and you want the 8 mg cache.
More importantly, you want at least 5400 rpm drive speed, not the older
4200. If your model has 5400 rpm, you're good to go.
Ken

Ken Spencer wrote:
> I am going to replace the HD in my ThinkPad T-40. Went to newegg and
> they have two different Western Digital 60 GB Scorpio drives. One
> says it's ATA-6, and the other says it's IDE Ultra ATA 100. They are
> two separate drives - the ATA-6 one has a 2 MB cache, and the IDE has
> an 8 MB cache.
>
> I went to Wikipedia to look at the differences with the interfaces, and
> it *appears* that the two
> interfaces are the same... It is that true?
>
> ATA/ATAPI-6
> ATA-6, Ultra ATA/100
> UDMA 5 (100)
> AKA Ultra DMA 100
> 144 PB
> 48-bit LBA, Device Configuration Overlay (DCO),
> Automatic Acoustic Management
>
> Does is matter which drive I use for the replacement? I would prefer
> the one with the 8 MB cache, naturally.
>
> The original IBM Hitachi drive just says IDE/ATA on it.
>
> Thanks for any help with this.
>
> Ken
> --
> To reply with email, please remove "ECM" from email address.

Ken Spencer

Ken:

MANY THANKS!

Ken Spencer

> They are the same, except for the cache and you want the 8 mg cache.
> More importantly, you want at least 5400 rpm drive speed, not the older
> 4200. If your model has 5400 rpm, you're good to go.
> Ken
>
> Ken Spencer wrote:
>> I am going to replace the HD in my ThinkPad T-40. Went to newegg and
>> they have two different Western Digital 60 GB Scorpio drives. One
>> says it's ATA-6, and the other says it's IDE Ultra ATA 100. They are
>> two separate drives - the ATA-6 one has a 2 MB cache, and the IDE has
>> an 8 MB cache.
>>
>> I went to Wikipedia to look at the differences with the interfaces, and
>> it *appears* that the two
>> interfaces are the same... It is that true?
>>
>> ATA/ATAPI-6
>> ATA-6, Ultra ATA/100
>> UDMA 5 (100)
>> AKA Ultra DMA 100
>> 144 PB
>> 48-bit LBA, Device Configuration Overlay (DCO),
>> Automatic Acoustic Management
>>
>> Does is matter which drive I use for the replacement? I would prefer
>> the one with the 8 MB cache, naturally.
>>
>> The original IBM Hitachi drive just says IDE/ATA on it.
>>
>> Thanks for any help with this.
>>
>> Ken
>> --
>> To reply with email, please remove "ECM" from email address.

--
To reply with email, please remove "ECM" from email address.

Kevin Weaver

Remember that the faster the rpm for the drive, less battery time.
I upgraded to a 7200 from a 5400 and it was approx 30% less battery
time. If battery life is Important, Stick with a 4200 rpm drive.

Ken Spencer wrote:
> I am going to replace the HD in my ThinkPad T-40. Went to newegg and
> they have two different Western Digital 60 GB Scorpio drives. One
> says it's ATA-6, and the other says it's IDE Ultra ATA 100. They are
> two separate drives - the ATA-6 one has a 2 MB cache, and the IDE has an
> 8 MB cache.
>
> I went to Wikipedia to look at the differences with the interfaces, and
> it *appears* that the two
> interfaces are the same... It is that true?
>
> ATA/ATAPI-6
> ATA-6, Ultra ATA/100
> UDMA 5 (100)
> AKA Ultra DMA 100
> 144 PB
> 48-bit LBA, Device Configuration Overlay (DCO),
> Automatic Acoustic Management
>
> Does is matter which drive I use for the replacement? I would prefer
> the one with the 8 MB cache, naturally.
>
> The original IBM Hitachi drive just says IDE/ATA on it.
>
> Thanks for any help with this.
>
> Ken

Barry Watzman

That is not universally true. There are 7200 rpm drives that use less
than some 5400 rpm drives. Although the average 7200 rpm drive probably
uses more power than the average 5400 rpm drive, because the range for
both types of drives is so large, you can't generalize on power
consumption or heat, you can only compare two specific drives.