Replacing dc power jack on Gateway M520

Junior Member
Location: Phoenix Arizona

Great description of the technique. I did a similiar repair on my Transport T2300. Those power connections are really weak to begin with. One tip for strengthening the new repair is to put a small amount of epoxy on the new power connector. That will give it a great deal more support when plugging the adaptor in and out.

There is an M520 technical service manual on the website at mpcdrivers.com, but it is mainly for replacing all components including the motherboard. No in depth description of repairs to the actual board itself. Great pictures and instructions for disassembly and reassembly however.

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblackstone View Post

Anyway, in the end I didn't install a new connector. I just tore out the old one with cutters and soldering iron and hardwired the charger to the board. There's no strain relief there but I think I can life with it for the time being. Works flawlessly.

Hope this helps
Same problem, have the board out and ready to replace, but might do as you say, solder the wires to the board, what points (ends) did you connect? Could you provide a diagram or picture perhaps? I plan to post my complete work along with photos as well. Seems like this is a growing problem.

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblackstone View Post
Remove 2 screws that hold LCD to body. lift up LCD.
Would love some input on removing the LCD. Have removed the two screws you say holds it in, but it seems to be still held in place by something at those attachment plates. Maybe just glue... but I'm worried about starting to stick a screwdriver or other implement in there and just prying away at it. I can work on most "big" computers quite easily, but this is my first time taking apart a laptop and my stomach is in knots