replacing power supply fan question

Rob

Hi,

I'm replacing my noisy power supply fan. The replacement I bought has
a 4-pin connector that I can plug directly into the power supply,
while the old fan is soldered to a board inside. I know I can solder
the new fan in, or splice the wires and use a wire nut, but would
would happen if I just cut the old fan out, cut the wires right off
the board where they're soldered, and plugged in the new fan? Would it
short or something because I didn't solder a new fan to the board?

Thanks.

Emile Jackson

Hi,

Just removing the fan will not short anything on most psu's. Just make
sure the cut off wire parts are isolated well but I guess you figured
that yourself already.
I use an old box (Pentium 200) for NAT and Routing myself where I even
left the psu-fan out to make it more silent. I added a larger heat
sink instead. It is up and running for 2 years now without a power
failure.

Good luck.