Replacing V880 and E450

patrickp

Hi,

I'm looking to replace my V880 and E450 and would like to know what is
comparable machine, if not better, than what I have and a rough cost
esitmate.

I seen an article comparing the V440 to the T2000, but no such luck when it
comes to the V880/E450.

Here are my specs on the V880:

16 GB RAM
10 x 73 Gig HD
8 x 1.050 Ghz CPU

Here are my specs on the E450:

4 GB RAM
10 x 9 Gig HD
4 x CPU UltraSparc II 400 MHZ

Thanks

Trinean

"patrickp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fr6luk$560$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking to replace my V880 and E450 and would like to know what is
> comparable machine, if not better, than what I have and a rough cost
> esitmate.

The new T5220:

64 GB RAM
8 x 146 GB HD
1.4GHz 8-Core CPU

Would be a killer system and use a fraction of the power.
Plus it's only 4 inches high so uses much less space as well.

With 8 threads per core it would look to the OS as if you have 64 CPUs.

If you set up zones in Solaris 10 it could probably replace both the E450
and the V880.
Sun may even give you a nice trade in on the old equipment if they have a
special going on.

Trinean

Cydrome Leader

Trinean <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "patrickp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:fr6luk$560$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm looking to replace my V880 and E450 and would like to know what is
>> comparable machine, if not better, than what I have and a rough cost
>> esitmate.

> The new T5220:

That's a nice machine. each "thread" seems way faster than the first
coolthreads machines like the t1000, plus they use modern disk drives.

usenetpersongerryt@gmail.com

On Mar 11, 12:18 pm, "patrickp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm looking to replace my V880 and E450 and would like to know what is
> comparable machine, if not better, than what I have and a rough cost
> esitmate.

You again only in different newsgroup. What's your BUDGET?
Then maybe we can help. If you want to know costs and what's available
now from Sun,
unlike Oracle licensing, that's easy to look up at sun.com.
Even then its a negotiation with Sun or your local reseller.

> I seen an article comparing the V440 to the T2000,

What article? Im familiar wth both machines. They arent
really the same type of thing. Anyway the T2000 is the past.
Move on : >

> but no such luck when it comes to the V880/E450.

The Sun site says that the V880 series has been replaced by the V890
The E450 is so old that I dont know what to add here.

> Here are my specs on the V880:
> 16 GB RAM
> 10 x 73 Gig HD
> 8 x 1.050 Ghz CPU

Theres still life in this machine.

> Here are my specs on the E450:
> 4 GB RAM
> 10 x 9 Gig HD
> 4 x CPU UltraSparc II 400 MHZ

Suitable for testing Oracle after a makeover.
More RAM and an HBA to a SAN might breathe some life into this one.

Trinean mentions the 5220 which I have also recommended to a client
recently.
But an 8 core box is NOT cheap, you'd need the full 60 day Try&Buy to
see if
it can handle the load thats being asked for it now and in the
"forseeable" future.

My fave machines right now are the M series. But a fully loaded M4K is
out of
sight budget-wise for most folks. But the 2 CPU version is JUST
affordable for some.

Questions regarding remote console and v880 Dragan Cvetkovic Sun Hardware 7 02-17-2005 05:57 PM
SunFire V880 Base SunAgain Sun Hardware 0 12-02-2003 08:27 PM
Max memory for V880? Victor Midland Sun Hardware 2 09-13-2003 02:16 PM
V880 problem Yuval Sun Hardware 6 07-30-2003 02:05 PM
Re: Sun V880 Expansion Backplane on an Independent Controller Thomas H Jones II Sun Hardware 0 07-21-2003 12:56 AM