Req: Can anyone tell me why the new motherboard won't recoginize the CD. Epox Motherboard EP-5P965+GLI/6 board.

bj@MB.com

Can anyone tell me why the new motherboard won't recoginize the CD.
Epox Motherboard EP-5P965+GLI/6 board. Thanks if you would help..bj

Paul

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Can anyone tell me why the new motherboard won't recoginize the CD.
> Epox Motherboard EP-5P965+GLI/6 board. Thanks if you would help..bj

It took me more than half an hour, to find a working place to
download a manual for your motherboard. I found one on epox.com.tw,
but cannot post a URL because the URL is time limited (won't work
later if someone tries it). Truly an exercise in stupidity on
Epox's part. At one point, I was getting 2.1KB/sec download speed.
I had to start two downloads going, of the same file, to "pump"
up the transfer rate. I couldn't even use the "ping" command
to poke at the site.

Anyway, your motherboard is an interesting design. Initially,
I looked at pictures of the motherboard on the Internet, and
couldn't make sense of them. I think I've figured it out.

There are

(6) SATA *Output* ports
(2) SATA *Input* ports

The board has two SIL3811 SATA to IDE adapter chips. By connecting
a SATA cable, from one of the six output ports, to the appropriate
SP-A or SP-B SATA input port, that makes the SIL3811 work.

And to boot from the CD, I would not use just any of the six available
SATA ports. I believe they are broken up into two groups. Four of
the ports support booting, and two do not. You may have to experiment
a bit with your SATA cable, before discovering which of the six
SATA outputs, should be connected to SP-A or SP-B.

SP-A appears to make IDE-A work. And SP-B would be for IDE-B.

In terms of the BIOS, try setting the SATA port mode, to
something other than AHCI or RAID. The vanilla IDE mode
is the most likely to work.

I believe you should be able to see the CDROM drive identified
in the BIOS, once the cabling is set up properly. For the CDROM
drive, I would jumper it to "Master". Since the SIL3811 only
drives one IDE device, you'd try "Master" with that. You would
connect the CDROM drive, to the IDE connector on the end of the
cable.

+------------------------+ +------------------+
| (SATA cable) | | (Ribbon cable) |
^ v | v
1 of 6 SATA SP-A IDE-A CDROM as
Output ports SATA Input ----> SIL3811 "Master"

Hope that helps,
Paul

bj@MB.com

Thanks Paul, much appreciated... Use this address for faster results
http://www.epox.com/USA/index.asp (E-Mail Removed)

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 18:58:45 -0500, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Can anyone tell me why the new motherboard won't recoginize the CD.
>> Epox Motherboard EP-5P965+GLI/6 board. Thanks if you would help..bj

>It took me more than half an hour, to find a working place to
>download a manual for your motherboard. I found one on epox.com.tw,
>but cannot post a URL because the URL is time limited (won't work
>later if someone tries it). Truly an exercise in stupidity on
>Epox's part. At one point, I was getting 2.1KB/sec download speed.
>I had to start two downloads going, of the same file, to "pump"
>up the transfer rate. I couldn't even use the "ping" command
>to poke at the site.
>
>Anyway, your motherboard is an interesting design. Initially,
>I looked at pictures of the motherboard on the Internet, and
>couldn't make sense of them. I think I've figured it out.
>
>There are
>
> (6) SATA *Output* ports
> (2) SATA *Input* ports
>
>The board has two SIL3811 SATA to IDE adapter chips. By connecting
>a SATA cable, from one of the six output ports, to the appropriate
>SP-A or SP-B SATA input port, that makes the SIL3811 work.
>
>And to boot from the CD, I would not use just any of the six available
>SATA ports. I believe they are broken up into two groups. Four of
>the ports support booting, and two do not. You may have to experiment
>a bit with your SATA cable, before discovering which of the six
>SATA outputs, should be connected to SP-A or SP-B.
>
>SP-A appears to make IDE-A work. And SP-B would be for IDE-B.
>
>In terms of the BIOS, try setting the SATA port mode, to
>something other than AHCI or RAID. The vanilla IDE mode
>is the most likely to work.
>
>I believe you should be able to see the CDROM drive identified
>in the BIOS, once the cabling is set up properly. For the CDROM
>drive, I would jumper it to "Master". Since the SIL3811 only
>drives one IDE device, you'd try "Master" with that. You would
>connect the CDROM drive, to the IDE connector on the end of the
>cable.
>
> +------------------------+ +------------------+
> | (SATA cable) | | (Ribbon cable) |
> ^ v | v
> 1 of 6 SATA SP-A IDE-A CDROM as
> Output ports SATA Input ----> SIL3811 "Master"
>
>Hope that helps,
> Paul

Req: Can anyone tell me why the new motherboard won't recoginize th CD rom's. Epox Motherboard EP-5P965+GLI/6 board. bj@xxx.com Epox 0 01-09-2008 04:22 PM
Can anyone tell me where can i found 7NIF2's manual? INTY Chaintech 0 05-30-2007 06:30 AM
can anyone tell me where i can download nvidia profile settings??? thanks ,andy fuknowswho@godknowswhere.com Nvidia 1 05-09-2006 01:24 AM
can anyone tell me why... Jim Apple 3 12-20-2003 04:49 PM
Please advise: 120 Gig USB Hard drive on crusty Toshiba Laptop: will it recoginize all the drive? Dave PC Hardware 0 08-13-2003 01:49 AM