Reset To Start

Paul

Sluggo wrote:
> I have a AN-8 SLI machine and when I hit the start button it gets power but
> to get it to start booting I have to hit the reset button to get it to boot
> all the way up.
> From a cold boot sometimes it will boot right on up on the first try. Not
> Often.
> Usually I have to hit the start button and after a second then hit reset and
> it comes on up and runs fine.
> No errors or problems.
> I did a voltage check through Sandra and my + voltages were good but my -
> voltages are about 60% of what they should be. Negative side is way down.
> I replaced the power supply with a 700 watt OCZ Game Max and it does the
> same thing and still shows low - voltages.
> I'm running two 7800GT Cards and AMD 4000 clocked to 2.64Ghz.
> Also I have RAID 1 mirroring.
> Two Barracudas
> Any ideas?
>
> Sluggo

The negative voltages aren't typically used for anything important.

I have one motherboard here, that uses -12V for the RS-232 interface.
(I know this, by looking up the RS-232 chip on ti.com .)
And that board has no reason to use the -5V at all. Sometimes, the
voltage monitor is not working properly, giving goofy voltage readings.
Or the software doing the readout, is applying the wrong scale factor.
Other times, it is the power supply which is not regulating properly.
You should use a multimeter, set to the DC volts, and measure the
voltages via the exposed metal on the backside of the main ATX
power connector. That is the only way to get a true reading, and figure
out whether the power supply is really doing that, or the monitor +
software is not working right.

Your problem likely lies elsewhere.

Do you have problems, when the processor runs at "stock" speed ?

Have you verified your settings, by running CPUZ (cpuid.com) while
in Windows ?

Paul

Sluggo

I have a AN-8 SLI machine and when I hit the start button it gets power but
to get it to start booting I have to hit the reset button to get it to boot
all the way up.
From a cold boot sometimes it will boot right on up on the first try. Not
Often.
Usually I have to hit the start button and after a second then hit reset and
it comes on up and runs fine.
No errors or problems.
I did a voltage check through Sandra and my + voltages were good but my -
voltages are about 60% of what they should be. Negative side is way down.
I replaced the power supply with a 700 watt OCZ Game Max and it does the
same thing and still shows low - voltages.
I'm running two 7800GT Cards and AMD 4000 clocked to 2.64Ghz.
Also I have RAID 1 mirroring.
Two Barracudas
Any ideas?

Sluggo

peter

I would take a good look at the Power Supply that you are using.
The AN8-SLI are fussy about PSU..........check the ratings on all of the
lines and add up the power that you require to run all of your
devices...........power required should be aprox 80% of power supplied.
This Cold boot problem is one of the symptons.....there is enough power to
start some devices but not all...a reset has some devices already
running/spinning up and there is more power available to actually start the
rest of the devices and the machine starts.
peter
"Sluggo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:zBUoh.1$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a AN-8 SLI machine and when I hit the start button it gets power but
>to get it to start booting I have to hit the reset button to get it to boot
>all the way up.
> From a cold boot sometimes it will boot right on up on the first try. Not
> Often.
> Usually I have to hit the start button and after a second then hit reset
> and it comes on up and runs fine.
> No errors or problems.
> I did a voltage check through Sandra and my + voltages were good but my -
> voltages are about 60% of what they should be. Negative side is way down.
> I replaced the power supply with a 700 watt OCZ Game Max and it does the
> same thing and still shows low - voltages.
> I'm running two 7800GT Cards and AMD 4000 clocked to 2.64Ghz.
> Also I have RAID 1 mirroring.
> Two Barracudas
> Any ideas?
>
> Sluggo

Wes Newell

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 02:17:21 +0000, peter wrote:

> I would take a good look at the Power Supply that you are using.
> The AN8-SLI are fussy about PSU..........check the ratings on all of the
> lines and add up the power that you require to run all of your
> devices...........power required should be aprox 80% of power supplied.
> This Cold boot problem is one of the symptons.....there is enough power to
> start some devices but not all...a reset has some devices already
> running/spinning up and there is more power available to actually start the
> rest of the devices and the machine starts.

I'll second this.