Reset Switch GND, RESET#, brown, white

Skybuck Flying

Hello,

ASRock's motherboard 939A790GMH mentions the following in the quick
installation guide/manual:

Page 23:

System Panel Header:
O O O O
O O O O O - dummy
| |
GND RESET#

Antec 1200's reset switch connector has a brown and a white cable.

I have some question about this:

1. What is "RESET#" ? (I can understand "ground" but "RESET#" ???)

2. How does a reset switch work ? Does it "cut power" ? Does it make all the
electricity flow away via ground or something ?

3. How to connect the reset switch ? Should the brown wire go to GND or vice
versa ?

I also have a theory how the motherboard might get damage if it's not
grounded:

The gnd cables and/or the reset switch somehow makes it possible for the
chasis voltage and low ampere to briefly flow back into the motherboard,
this probably weakens the electronics, if this is done often enough
motherboard death would occur, therefore it would be best to ground the PC
so this can't happen ?!?

4. Last question, is this theory possible ?

Bye,
Skybuck.

Joel Koltner

"Skybuck Flying" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:51c7c$4ddd94ac$54192c06$(E-Mail Removed)1.n b.home.nl...
> I have some question about this:
>
> 1. What is "RESET#" ? (I can understand "ground" but "RESET#" ???)

It means that the signal is active-low. That is, grounding it (rather than
applying, e.g., 3.3V to it) is what makes it "active," or resets the computer.

> 2. How does a reset switch work ? Does it "cut power" ? Does it make all the
> electricity flow away via ground or something ?

The switch itself just connects the two wires together when you push the
switch. It doesn't "cut power." It maybe makes "all the electricity flow TO
ground," perhaps... although that's an explanation that you would likely only
get away with in elementary school -- and the lower grades at that. :-)

> 3. How to connect the reset switch ? Should the brown wire go to GND or vice
> versa ?

It doesn't matter -- as long as Reset# ends up physically connected to Ground,
the color of the wires that do it is irrelevant.

> The gnd cables and/or the reset switch somehow makes it possible for the
> chasis voltage and low ampere to briefly flow back into the motherboard,
> this probably weakens the electronics, if this is done often enough
> motherboard death would occur, therefore it would be best to ground the PC
> so this can't happen ?!?
>
> 4. Last question, is this theory possible ?

Um, no, not really.

---Joel

Metspitzer

On Wed, 25 May 2011 16:53:56 -0700, "Joel Koltner"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> 3. How to connect the reset switch ? Should the brown wire go to GND or vice
>> versa ?

>It doesn't matter -- as long as Reset# ends up physically connected to Ground,
>the color of the wires that do it is irrelevant.

I have only bought a handful of compter cases and motherboards.
Everyone I have ever built has the label side of the connectors facing
to the edge of the mobo.

Any exceptions?

Skybuck Flying

"Metspitzer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 25 May 2011 16:53:56 -0700, "Joel Koltner"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> 3. How to connect the reset switch ? Should the brown wire go to GND or
>>> vice
>>> versa ?

>>It doesn't matter -- as long as Reset# ends up physically connected to
>>Ground,
>>the color of the wires that do it is irrelevant.
>>

> I have only bought a handful of compter cases and motherboards.
> Everyone I have ever built has the label side of the connectors facing
> to the edge of the mobo.
>
> Any exceptions?

There are 4 edges

Ok two edges can be dismissed.

This leaves two edges

So the labels are always facing an edge of a motherboard.

I swapped the connector just at the last moment to follow your advice of
facing the edge.

Brown now goes to ground and white to reset.

The power button and the other side is facing the other edge and I am 100%
sure that's how it's supposed to be at least assuming "black is ground"

Black is ground ?

Hmm yup at least for the fans so I will assume this is for headers too.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Better check this

Joel Koltner

"Metspitzer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have only bought a handful of compter cases and motherboards.
> Everyone I have ever built has the label side of the connectors facing
> to the edge of the mobo.
>
> Any exceptions?

Weeelll... I don't recall seeing an exception, although I have encountered
cases where the connector didn't match up with the motherboard's header at
all -- USB connectors, early-on, are one example I recall.

And I've also put together PCs (in years past) where the connectors weren't
labeled at all -- sometimes there was a sheet of paper that came with the case
telling you which colored wires went where, and other times you just had to
figure it out for yourself, paying careful attention to where the wires
actually went.

I thnk it was Intel that was attempting to get a more standardized pin-out
going so there's just be, e.g., one 2x7 header or whatever rather than 4-7 2-
or 3-pin headers; I don't know if this was ever all that successful, though.

Shaun

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message
[...]

Stick the RESET line up your ass, it will probably work better there on your
computer.

Jasen Betts

On 2011-05-26, Skybuck Flying <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Brown now goes to ground and white to reset.
>
> The power button and the other side is facing the other edge and I am 100%
> sure that's how it's supposed to be at least assuming "black is ground"
>

> Black is ground ?
>
> Hmm yup at least for the fans so I will assume this is for headers too.

With motherboard/front-panel connectors usually white is ground and
colour is active, but polarity only matters for the LEDs. The switches
and the loudspeaker will function fine with either polarity.

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

Skybuck Flying

You guys make little sense.

Anyway, something else doesn't make sense.

Why is there a "gnd" connection for the reset header ?!?!?

Could it be important ?!

Bye,
Skybuck.