Restore Disks

NOTvalid@Queensbridge.us

went to Circuit City today to buy an Acer $750.00 laptop.

They told me it does not come with a restore disk,
that you have to make your own on the laptops's DVD burner.
AND that you only get ONE chance to try.
If you are not happy with results and want to return laptop, Circuit
City charges a fifteen per cent restocking fee.

Acer does not even include a blank DVD that would cost them all of
maybe twenty cents.

I left store without buying computer.

Do any laptops come with a restore disk?

Chris Hill

On 13 Jun 2006 22:51:32 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>went to Circuit City today to buy an Acer $750.00 laptop.
>
>They told me it does not come with a restore disk,
>that you have to make your own on the laptops's DVD burner.
>AND that you only get ONE chance to try.
>If you are not happy with results and want to return laptop, Circuit
>City charges a fifteen per cent restocking fee.
>
>Acer does not even include a blank DVD that would cost them all of
>maybe twenty cents.
>
>I left store without buying computer.

I'm sure some do, but not likely for the price you are after. What cc
didn't tell you is that you may be able to exchange for any other item
without the restocking fee. I never bothered making the dvd last time
I bought a notebook, I just ghosted the whole drive instead; which
would you rather have an a blank o/s where you have to reinstall
everything or an image that will actually get you back up and running?

pweegar

> Anonymouswrote
went to Circuit City today to buy an Acer $750.00 laptop

> They told me it does not come with a restore disk
> that you have to make your own on the laptops's DVD burner
> AND that you only get ONE chance to try
> If you are not happy with results and want to return laptop

Circui
> City charges a fifteen per cent restocking fee
>
> Acer does not even include a blank DVD that would cost them all o
> maybe twenty cents
>
> I left store without buying computer
>

> Do any laptops come with a restore disk

Most pc's (desktops and laptops) have a restore partition. I kno
Compaq and Gateway do this. If you need to restore, simply boot int
the restore partition (Usually drive D, and begin the restor
process. I've never sucessfully created the recovery cd. Alway
seems to have problems. Besides, I can always load any oS I own
and the programs w/o the crap, I want on a system. And not many, i
any at all, will include the necc. media to create the restore

Barry Watzman

Microsoft REQUIRES that OEMs give customers a way to reinstall Windows.
That can be a restore disc, or it can be a partition on the laptop
(which, however, is of very little use if the hard drive dies).

Toshiba laptops come with Restore CDs. Dell laptops can be ordered with
them for $10 extra (otherwise you get the hard drive restore partition).

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> went to Circuit City today to buy an Acer $750.00 laptop.
>
> They told me it does not come with a restore disk,
> that you have to make your own on the laptops's DVD burner.
> AND that you only get ONE chance to try.
> If you are not happy with results and want to return laptop, Circuit
> City charges a fifteen per cent restocking fee.
>
> Acer does not even include a blank DVD that would cost them all of
> maybe twenty cents.
>
> I left store without buying computer.
>

> Do any laptops come with a restore disk?

Joseph Fenn

> I'm sure some do, but not likely for the price you are after. What cc
> didn't tell you is that you may be able to exchange for any other item
> without the restocking fee. I never bothered making the dvd last time
> I bought a notebook, I just ghosted the whole drive instead; which
> would you rather have an a blank o/s where you have to reinstall
> everything or an image that will actually get you back up and running?

I likewise go the Ghost image to external HD. Very simple to use
and gets every bit and byte you lost. Just make sure you copy
Ghost V9 to both your c: drive and to your external usb drive
whatever it might be E: F: G: H: cause your gonna have to run
Ghost again to restore the image and it sure aint gonna be on your
C: drive if it crashed.
Joe

M.I.5

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> went to Circuit City today to buy an Acer $750.00 laptop.
>
> They told me it does not come with a restore disk,
> that you have to make your own on the laptops's DVD burner.
> AND that you only get ONE chance to try.
> If you are not happy with results and want to return laptop, Circuit
> City charges a fifteen per cent restocking fee.
>
> Acer does not even include a blank DVD that would cost them all of
> maybe twenty cents.
>
> I left store without buying computer.
>

> Do any laptops come with a restore disk?

This is becoming more and more common. The restore image is usually on a
separate (and hidden) partition on the hard disk - exactly where you don't
want it if the hard disk fails. One way to circumvent the one chance try
(and the lack of restore disks), is to image the disk with Ghost or
Trueimage before you do anything else. Make sure that you image the restore
partition as well.

zwsdotcom@gmail.com

Chris Hill wrote:

> I bought a notebook, I just ghosted the whole drive instead; which
> would you rather have an a blank o/s where you have to reinstall
> everything or an image that will actually get you back up and running?

I'd rather have both. I want to be able to restore the machine to
factory condition when I resell it.