Restoring Axcel 4630, HD problems

Axcel 4630

I hadn't fired up the 4630 in 2 yrs. Recalled it working fine back then.
It simply sat on the floor minding it's own business until yesterday. I
now find I cannot access the HD. Tried reading it in another PC and it
shows a directory structure but if I try to read a directory, the
working PC cannot do it. Scandisk crashes when trying to access the 4630
HD even when slaved to another PC. I "thnk" I recall seeing the word
"locked" while trying to access the HD as a slave unit.

When I try to run the 4630 on its own, it cannot load any OS. Scandisk
insists it cannot read the drive. I have tried using the restore CD, no
luck. I even tried formating the HD - "Attention: A serious disk error
has occured while writing to drive C." A popup type screen asks if I
would like to retry (r)? reading the HD, it becomes an endless loop and
I need to reboot.

The PB restore disk sys info shows Windows 95 [version 4.00.950] and I
see another partition with DOS on it, most likely 6.22 can't remember
when I put that on but it worked fine back then.

If I try to delete a extended partition or any partition in Fdisk, it
can't write to the HD

Might it be the controller unit? The disk spins, the head moves, but I
simply cannot get it up and running, nor restore, nor repair. Never ran
into this type of problem before and I might as well learn from it.

I started up another HD with Win95b on the 4630 but I don't let it get
too far before halting the loading so it doesn't mess up the settings on
the HD OS. So I know the original HD is the problem, just don't know
what exactly is the problem. I can experiment is anyone has suggestions,
the HD is expendable and the files on it aren't important.

Elector

"Axcel 4630" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I hadn't fired up the 4630 in 2 yrs. Recalled it working fine back then.
> It simply sat on the floor minding it's own business until yesterday. I
> now find I cannot access the HD. Tried reading it in another PC and it
> shows a directory structure but if I try to read a directory, the
> working PC cannot do it. Scandisk crashes when trying to access the 4630
> HD even when slaved to another PC. I "thnk" I recall seeing the word
> "locked" while trying to access the HD as a slave unit.
>
> When I try to run the 4630 on its own, it cannot load any OS. Scandisk
> insists it cannot read the drive. I have tried using the restore CD, no
> luck. I even tried formating the HD - "Attention: A serious disk error
> has occured while writing to drive C." A popup type screen asks if I
> would like to retry (r)? reading the HD, it becomes an endless loop and
> I need to reboot.
>
> The PB restore disk sys info shows Windows 95 [version 4.00.950] and I
> see another partition with DOS on it, most likely 6.22 can't remember
> when I put that on but it worked fine back then.
>
> If I try to delete a extended partition or any partition in Fdisk, it
> can't write to the HD
>
> Might it be the controller unit? The disk spins, the head moves, but I
> simply cannot get it up and running, nor restore, nor repair. Never ran
> into this type of problem before and I might as well learn from it.
>
> I started up another HD with Win95b on the 4630 but I don't let it get
> too far before halting the loading so it doesn't mess up the settings on
> the HD OS. So I know the original HD is the problem, just don't know
> what exactly is the problem. I can experiment is anyone has suggestions,
> the HD is expendable and the files on it aren't important.

Couple of things come to mind.

1- Did you replace the battery? If the unit sat for that long the CMOS
information has more than likely been lost.

2- After you replace the battery, go into the BIOS and select AUTOMATIC to
set the unit back to see the hard drive and others device settings.

I would not have done any type of attempt at restoring until I did that.

Also the power supply may have gone KAPUT while it sat. Did you try another
power supply to see if you have enough juice to even run the HD?

Just some suggestions.

I hope I helped?

Elector

metronid

I have a set of floppies that will diagnoose the problem possibly
"Elector" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "Axcel 4630" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I hadn't fired up the 4630 in 2 yrs. Recalled it working fine back then.
>> It simply sat on the floor minding it's own business until yesterday. I
>> now find I cannot access the HD. Tried reading it in another PC and it
>> shows a directory structure but if I try to read a directory, the
>> working PC cannot do it. Scandisk crashes when trying to access the 4630
>> HD even when slaved to another PC. I "thnk" I recall seeing the word
>> "locked" while trying to access the HD as a slave unit.
>>
>> When I try to run the 4630 on its own, it cannot load any OS. Scandisk
>> insists it cannot read the drive. I have tried using the restore CD, no
>> luck. I even tried formating the HD - "Attention: A serious disk error
>> has occured while writing to drive C." A popup type screen asks if I
>> would like to retry (r)? reading the HD, it becomes an endless loop and
>> I need to reboot.
>>
>> The PB restore disk sys info shows Windows 95 [version 4.00.950] and I
>> see another partition with DOS on it, most likely 6.22 can't remember
>> when I put that on but it worked fine back then.
>>
>> If I try to delete a extended partition or any partition in Fdisk, it
>> can't write to the HD
>>
>> Might it be the controller unit? The disk spins, the head moves, but I
>> simply cannot get it up and running, nor restore, nor repair. Never ran
>> into this type of problem before and I might as well learn from it.
>>
>> I started up another HD with Win95b on the 4630 but I don't let it get
>> too far before halting the loading so it doesn't mess up the settings on
>> the HD OS. So I know the original HD is the problem, just don't know
>> what exactly is the problem. I can experiment is anyone has suggestions,
>> the HD is expendable and the files on it aren't important.

> Couple of things come to mind.
>
> 1- Did you replace the battery? If the unit sat for that long the CMOS
> information has more than likely been lost.
>
> 2- After you replace the battery, go into the BIOS and select AUTOMATIC to
> set the unit back to see the hard drive and others device settings.
>
> I would not have done any type of attempt at restoring until I did that.
>
> Also the power supply may have gone KAPUT while it sat. Did you try
> another power supply to see if you have enough juice to even run the HD?
>
> Just some suggestions.
>
> I hope I helped?
>
> Elector

Axcel 4630

Thanks for the replies guys but... The HD is the problem here. It won't
fire up on any other PC. I used another HD in the PB and restored the
original PB Win95 OEM pkg and that HD works fine. Just never had a HD
die before and wondered if the HD controller or some other mechanical or
electronic failure is the cause.

Picking up rock, tossing it at study room window of Ben Myers house,
sound of glass breaking, oops! Hope that gets his attention, probably
hiding on the clone.dell group.

metronid

Actually once you followed a simple logic the problem was solved by
yourself.
You checked it out in another PC and knew it was bad
You then tried a known working HD and proved the system was good.

They soemtimes die
People die also
here today gone tomorrow.

Most electronic things go on startup
Although they can go anytime

The controoller was not the cause
Mechanical would be the heads binding
Electrical could be anything

"Axcel 4630" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the replies guys but... The HD is the problem here. It won't
> fire up on any other PC. I used another HD in the PB and restored the
> original PB Win95 OEM pkg and that HD works fine. Just never had a HD
> die before and wondered if the HD controller or some other mechanical or
> electronic failure is the cause.
>
> Picking up rock, tossing it at study room window of Ben Myers house,
> sound of glass breaking, oops! Hope that gets his attention, probably
> hiding on the clone.dell group.

mdp

Axcel 4630 wrote:
> Thanks for the replies guys but... The HD is the problem here. It
> won't fire up on any other PC. I used another HD in the PB and
> restored the original PB Win95 OEM pkg and that HD works fine. Just
> never had a HD die before and wondered if the HD controller or some
> other mechanical or electronic failure is the cause.
>
> Picking up rock, tossing it at study room window of Ben Myers house,
> sound of glass breaking, oops! Hope that gets his attention, probably
> hiding on the clone.dell group.

Have you heard of the old "put the HD in the freezer for a while" then try?
Sometimes works for a variety of reasons but if it does don't count on it
permanently. If it works, you'll have some time to get files off.

metronid

I only place food in my freezer.
When and if I have a HD failure.
I will rely on my Raid
I also have a backup and restore on CD

I do not futz with bad or tempermental parts
Not worth my time

But I will give your idea av try if I ever get to that point
news:RunWf.16640$(E-Mail Removed)...