RFC 2665 error on intel

vini

Hi All

RFC 2665 defines "dot3StatsInternalMacReceiveErrors" as a
implementation dependent counter for errors while receiving an
ethernet frame.

Intel defines this error as follows:
RMII_FRM_ALN_ERROR || XTRA_BYTE || LEN_ERR

|| RX_LATE_COLL || (MII_FRM_ALN_ERR &&

!FCS_ERR)

I am seeing that this counter is incrementing on my intel ixp
platform. However, I do not fully understand the meaning of
"XTRA_BYTE" reason for this counter.

Please help in finding out the reasons for which intel will increment
this counter.

Regards
VG

Rick Jones

vini <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> RFC 2665 defines "dot3StatsInternalMacReceiveErrors" as a
> implementation dependent counter for errors while receiving an
> ethernet frame.

> Intel defines this error as follows:
> RMII_FRM_ALN_ERROR || XTRA_BYTE || LEN_ERR
> || RX_LATE_COLL || (MII_FRM_ALN_ERR &&
> !FCS_ERR)

> I am seeing that this counter is incrementing on my intel ixp
> platform. However, I do not fully understand the meaning of
> "XTRA_BYTE" reason for this counter.

> Please help in finding out the reasons for which intel will increment
> this counter.

My understanding is that the comp.sys.intel group mostly discusses
(well, something like discussion...) Intel processors. While I cannot
discount the possiblity of someone familiar with Intel NICs reading
this group, you may have more luck with Intel NIC chips and their
drivers either in some specific forum on intel.com (if there is one)
or perhaps in comp.protocols.lan.ethernet.

rick jones
- Rick Jones

RFC number? Everett M. Greene Embedded 4 09-03-2004 01:33 AM
RFC: "Comet" board with AT91RM9200 Hubert Hoegl Embedded 14 02-25-2004 03:50 AM
RFC: ARM+FPGA tiny board Pablo Bleyer Embedded 18 02-16-2004 04:50 AM
Who is responsible for disabling AGP prefetch (Intel E7505 MCH, Tyan 2665 MOBO, Windows XP) David Schwartz Intel 1 07-12-2003 01:15 PM
Who is responsible for disabling AGP prefetch (Intel E7505 MCH, Tyan 2665 MOBO, Windows XP) David Schwartz Tyan 1 07-12-2003 01:15 PM