How do I become root on a Lion?

/Torsten

George Kerby

On 4/18/12 9:17 AM, in article 2012041816173533860-info@stconinccom,
"Torsten Jørgensen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> How do I become root on a Lion?
>
> /Torsten

Why?

Sara

In article <2012041816173533860-info@stconinccom>,
Torsten Jørgensen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> How do I become root on a Lion?
>
> /Torsten

Did you miss the answer I posted earlier?

--
Sara

Cats cats cats cats

George Kerby

On 4/18/12 10:25 AM, in article
saramerriman-8F0727.16254118042012@n...-september.org, "Sara"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <2012041816173533860-info@stconinccom>,
> Torsten Jørgensen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> How do I become root on a Lion?
>>
>> /Torsten

> Did you miss the answer I posted earlier?

I didn't. Maybe the "root" is not necessarily on the 'Lion'?

Sara

In article <CBB4480C.85BE9%(E-Mail Removed)>,
George Kerby <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 4/18/12 10:25 AM, in article
> saramerriman-8F0727.16254118042012@n...-september.org, "Sara"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > In article <2012041816173533860-info@stconinccom>,
> > Torsten Jørgensen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> How do I become root on a Lion?
> >>
> >> /Torsten

> > Did you miss the answer I posted earlier?

> I didn't. Maybe the "root" is not necessarily on the 'Lion'?

The article from Apple I linked to had instructions for enabling root in
most flavours of OSX, maybe I should have cut'n'pasted it instead.

--
Sara

Peeps squeaks, Billy is silly and as for Armageddon...

Richard Maine

Sara <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <CBB4480C.85BE9%(E-Mail Removed)>,
> George Kerby <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > On 4/18/12 10:25 AM, in article
> > saramerriman-8F0727.16254118042012@n...-september.org, "Sara"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Did you miss the answer I posted earlier?

> > I didn't. Maybe the "root" is not necessarily on the 'Lion'?

> The article from Apple I linked to had instructions for enabling root in
> most flavours of OSX, maybe I should have cut'n'pasted it instead.

I can't help but think about the analogy to the saying about the price
of yachts, where if you have to ask the price of the yacht, then you
can't afford it. (Not strictly true, as I know at least one person who
owns a small yacht, but would not have been able to swing a more
expensive one, but it is still a common saying.)

In the case of a root login, I have to think that anyone who can't
figure out how to make one is automatically high on the list of people
who should not have one.

domain: summertriangle | -- Mark Twain

nospam

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> How do I become root on a Lion?

ask its tamer.

nospam

In article <1kiqq3g.15mmrzu1db3wgwN%(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard
Maine <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In the case of a root login, I have to think that anyone who can't
> figure out how to make one is automatically high on the list of people
> who should not have one.

absolutely.

George Kerby

On 4/18/12 11:32 AM, in article
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Sara <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> In article <CBB4480C.85BE9%(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> George Kerby <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> On 4/18/12 10:25 AM, in article
>>> saramerriman-8F0727.16254118042012@n...-september.org, "Sara"

>>> I didn't. Maybe the "root" is not necessarily on the 'Lion'?

>> The article from Apple I linked to had instructions for enabling root in
>> most flavours of OSX, maybe I should have cut'n'pasted it instead.

> I can't help but think about the analogy to the saying about the price
> of yachts, where if you have to ask the price of the yacht, then you
> can't afford it. (Not strictly true, as I know at least one person who
> owns a small yacht, but would not have been able to swing a more
> expensive one, but it is still a common saying.)
>
> In the case of a root login, I have to think that anyone who can't
> figure out how to make one is automatically high on the list of people
> who should not have one.

Agreed!

George Kerby

On 4/18/12 10:45 AM, in article
saramerriman-B2C2EB.16451718042012@n...-september.org, "Sara"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <CBB4480C.85BE9%(E-Mail Removed)>,
> George Kerby <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 4/18/12 10:25 AM, in article
>> saramerriman-8F0727.16254118042012@n...-september.org, "Sara"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Did you miss the answer I posted earlier?

>> I didn't. Maybe the "root" is not necessarily on the 'Lion'?

> The article from Apple I linked to had instructions for enabling root in
> most flavours of OSX, maybe I should have cut'n'pasted it instead.

It was perfectly placed for anyone who was interested to obtain a viable
answer. My thought is that the OP maybe should not try such a thing if s/he
cannot follow your excellent tip.