how to rotate Input Panel?

Mike J

I'd like to rotate the Input Panel to about 45 degrees for a natural writing
angle. For example, I like to lay back with the tablet propped up vertically
on my knees and I'd like to keep the laptop in portrait mode at 90 degrees
and at the same time be able to write at about 45-60 degrees. Without the
ability to rotate the Input Panel, I'm forced to rotate the whole laptop onto
its corner in order to write which is uncomfortable and makes it difficult to
view content. I find myself constantly rotating the laptop, alternating
between input and reading modes.

The same applies, really, to landscape mode.

Just think of how you write at an angle, but typically read *not* at angle.

Is this possible? I've searched the Windows help files and search engines
to no avail.

Rainald Taesler

Mike J wrote:
> I'd like to rotate the Input Panel to about 45 degrees for a natural
> writing angle. For example, I like to lay back with the tablet
> propped up vertically on my knees and I'd like to keep the laptop in
> portrait mode at 90 degrees and at the same time be able to write at
> about 45-60 degrees. Without the ability to rotate the Input Panel,
> I'm forced to rotate the whole laptop onto its corner in order to
> write which is uncomfortable and makes it difficult to view content.
> I find myself constantly rotating the laptop, alternating between
> input and reading modes.
>
> The same applies, really, to landscape mode.
>
> Just think of how you write at an angle, but typically read *not* at
> angle.
>
> Is this possible? I've searched the Windows help files and search
> engines to no avail.

No, there is no such option.

Rainald

Beverly Howard

>> No, there is no such option. <<

You must be a pocketpc user ;-) The decade old WinCE input utility
"Transcriber" had this nice feature.

Have you looked to see if angled handwriting in Journal can be
recognized? If so, a workaround might be to write in Journal and
cut/paste export it later.

Beverly Howard

Sven

Yea, but it really didn't have an input panel. It was (is) a write anywhere
thing. Did have the option to specify how you typically wrote though to
increase the recognition potential, as you say. Phatware used to have a
write anywhere feature for tablets, but I don't see it anymore. Maybe I am
missing it, or some other third party has a solution.

"Beverly Howard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> No, there is no such option. <<

> You must be a pocketpc user ;-) The decade old WinCE input utility
> "Transcriber" had this nice feature.
>
> Have you looked to see if angled handwriting in Journal can be recognized?
> If so, a workaround might be to write in Journal and cut/paste export it
> later.
>
> Beverly Howard

Mike J

Journal *does* recognize writing on an angle - thanks! I was really hoping
for an operating system-wide capability... I hope Microsoft sees this - It
seems like a basic requirement for tablet input done right.

thanks guys,
Mike

"Beverly Howard" wrote:

> >> No, there is no such option. <<

> You must be a pocketpc user ;-) The decade old WinCE input utility
> "Transcriber" had this nice feature.
>
> Have you looked to see if angled handwriting in Journal can be
> recognized? If so, a workaround might be to write in Journal and
> cut/paste export it later.
>
> Beverly Howard
>

> .

Beverly Howard

A related throught...

I use note's handwriting a lot on the ppc, but, I tend to use it as I
would writing on a piece of paper... in other words, I don't "recognize"
the writing but mainly use it as a handwritten written reference,
especially when I'm it an extended situation were notes are going to be
many and critical.

That allows me to completely let go of the possibilities of recognizer
errors and concentrate on the task at hand... no matter how bad my
writing is, I can generally understand what I had written, where, in
contrast, there is no way of easily deciphering a recognizer error long
after the fact.

Later, if I need the notes transcribed, notes allows selection and
recognition of "chunks" so that the errors are obvious and easily
corrected before moving on to the next "chunk"... the same process works
in journal.

An additional benefit is the ability to add sketches just as one would
on paper.

hth,
Beverly Howard

Rainald Taesler

Mike J wrote:
> I hope Microsoft sees this - It seems like a basic requirement
> for tablet input done right.

You are hoping in vain.

This unmonitored NewsGroup is just a peer-to-peer place. It's not a
location for reaching MS.

Rainald