Rumors (MBP - June)

Alan Browne

Rumor date is June for the new Macbook Pro.

.. Ivy Bridge
.. SSD
.. Mountain Lion
.could be a free update at a later date in the summer, however.

Best Buy just began discounts on existing MBP inventory

http://www.latimes.com/business/tech...,6445490.story

Could we be seeing the first USB 3?

The end of FW 800 perhaps?

The first salvo to merger the MBP and MBA?

--
"A person with a new idea is a crank until the idea succeeds."
-Samuel Clemens.

JF Mezei

Alan Browne wrote:

> The first salvo to merger the MBP and MBA?

In a recent teleconference with financial alanysts, Tim Cook killed the
rumour that iPad would replace the laptops. He clearly stated they were
aimed at 2 different types of customers with different needs.

Considering laptops sells very well and provide Apple with so much
publicity at Stabucks and other trendy places with the lighted Apple
logos everywhere, Apple would be stupid to cannabalise the laptop business.

Davoud

Alan Browne wrote:

> The end of FW 800 perhaps?

Nope. Apple have their finger on the pulse and they know that a lot of
scientific users rely on FW800 for video cameras of all sorts. In
addition to regular consumer and pro cameras, see Point Grey and The
Imaging Source, both manufacturers of small scientific-imaging cameras.
I use these in astronomy, wildlife monitoring, and photomicrography.

> The first salvo to merger [sic] the MBP and MBA?

Nope. Apple have their finger on the pulse and they know that many
users can't do without a powerful laptop. Apple are not going to
eliminate Aperture, Photoshop, FCP, Adobe Premiere, and other
heavy-duty apps from their portables. "But these can run on the Air,"
you argue. Sort of, but that's not good enough. I sometimes need to run
Aperture, Photoshop CS5 Extended, and FCP X, and maybe an audio editor
simultaneously on my recent-but-not-latest-model MBP 17 with Core i7
and 8GB of RAM. Works fine. Can't do that with an Air.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm

JF Mezei

Davoud wrote:

> Nope. Apple have their finger on the pulse and they know that a lot of
> scientific users rely on FW800 for video cameras of all sorts.

This is a dangerous assumption nowadays. Apple no longer does "hobbies".
It got out of the business market, no longer makes servers etc.

Apple wants mass market.

I am not sure it is safe to assume that one technology will be
maintained on Macs because of a niche market of scientists (or whatever
former group of loyal Mac fans).

We may be loyal to Apple, but I am not sure Apple is loyal to us. They
go to where they can make money and if screwing our niche market needs
means that they get to cater to a bigger "mass market", then they will
step over us with no regrets.

They are in business to make money. And, for now, they have a winning
formula.

Davoud

Davoud:

JF Mezei:
> This is a dangerous assumption nowadays. Apple no longer does "hobbies".
> It got out of the business market, no longer makes servers etc.

Safe as any bet in technology can be. "January 11, 2012:
A new report by Forrester Research suggests the growing business
adoption of Apple iPads and Macs is displacing Microsoft's grip on the
corporate market with PCs." You can find scores or hundreds of reports
on the web concerning Apples increased penetration of the business
market.

> I am not sure it is safe to assume that one technology will be
> maintained on Macs because of a niche market of scientists (or whatever
> former group of loyal Mac fans).

Science and graphic arts and publishing and television and cinema and
music production are not tiny markets for Apple, and Apple is unlikely
to walk away from these markets.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm

Helpful Harry

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Alan Browne
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Rumor date is June for the new Macbook Pro.
>
> . Ivy Bridge
> . SSD
> . Mountain Lion
> .could be a free update at a later date in the summer, however.
>
> Best Buy just began discounts on existing MBP inventory

http://www.latimes.com/business/tech...,6445490.story

> Could we be seeing the first USB 3?
>
> The end of FW 800 perhaps?
>
> The first salvo to merger the MBP and MBA?

Possibly USB 3.0. There's also rumours of the new MacBook Pro dropping the
DVD drive and Ethernet port, and changing to a "Retina" display.

Helpful Harry )

JF Mezei

Helpful Harry wrote:

> Possibly USB 3.0. There's also rumours of the new MacBook Pro dropping the
> DVD drive and Ethernet port, and changing to a "Retina" display.

I would not be happy about dropping physical ethernet port. Having a
laptop that can physically connect to a switch and run wireshark to do
packet traces is very very useful.

Davoud

Helpful Harry:
> > Possibly USB 3.0. There's [sic] also rumours of the new MacBook Pro dropping the
> > DVD drive and Ethernet port, and changing to a "Retina" display.

MacBook Pro, dropping Ethernet? You were a dodo when you went into my
kill-file and you're still a dodo.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm

Michelle Steiner

In article <4fb2eaef$0$1765$c3e8da3$(E-Mail Removed) m>,
JF Mezei <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Alan Browne wrote:
>
> > The first salvo to merger the MBP and MBA?

> In a recent teleconference with financial alanysts, Tim Cook killed the
> rumour that iPad would replace the laptops. He clearly stated they were
> aimed at 2 different types of customers with different needs.
>
> Considering laptops sells very well and provide Apple with so much
> publicity at Stabucks and other trendy places with the lighted Apple
> logos everywhere, Apple would be stupid to cannabalise the laptop
> business.

He wasn't referring to the iPad replacing laptops. He was speculating on
the convergence of the MacBook Pro and the MacBook Air. Even a cynic like
you should have been able to understand that.

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

Alan Browne

On 2012-05-15 19:46 , JF Mezei wrote:
> Alan Browne wrote:
>
>> The first salvo to merger the MBP and MBA?

> In a recent teleconference with financial alanysts, Tim Cook killed the
> rumour that iPad would replace the laptops. He clearly stated they were
> aimed at 2 different types of customers with different needs.

The MBP and the MBA have nothing to do with iPad.