Running non-interactive Dell's diagnostics from its HDD partition without drive checks?

Ant

Hello.

I am trying to run tests with Dell Studio XPS 8000's preinstalled
extended non-interactive diagnostics from its Dell partition on the HDD
to see why its preinstalled, updated 64-bit Windows 7 is acting weird
(random hangs/freezes, blue screens, etc.) lately (inside looks clean,
fans are spinning, and not dusty). How can I skip these drive tests that
requires discs, flash medias, etc.? I just want to run internal LONG
tests for all day, weekends, etc. without my interactions. I doubt the
problems are related to the drives (HDDs are OK to test).

Thank you in advance.
--
Quote of the Week: "The greatest enemies of ants are other ants, just as
the greatest enemies of men are other men." --Auguste Forel

Ben Myers

On Aug 4, 10:32*pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Ant) wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I am trying to run tests with Dell Studio XPS 8000's preinstalled
> extended non-interactive diagnostics from its Dell partition on the HDD
> to see why its preinstalled, updated 64-bit Windows 7 is acting weird
> (random hangs/freezes, blue screens, etc.) lately (inside looks clean,
> fans are spinning, and not dusty). How can I skip these drive tests that
> requires discs, flash medias, etc.? I just want to run internal LONG
> tests for all day, weekends, etc. without my interactions. I doubt the
> problems are related to the drives (HDDs are OK to test).
>
> Thank you in advance.
> --
> Quote of the Week: "The greatest enemies of ants are other ants, just as
> the greatest enemies of men are other men." --Auguste Forel
> * /\___/\ * * * * Ant @http://antfarm.home.dhs.org(Personal WebSite)
> */ /\ /\ \ * * * * * * * * Ant's Quality Foraged Links:http://aqfl.net
> | |o * o| |
> * *\ _ / * * * * * Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail. If crediting,
> * * ( ) * * * * *then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.

It's been a while, but I think you can download the Dell diagnostics
for this model from the Dell web site and run the test selectively.
Better still, determine the manufacturer of the hard drive, download
and run the manufacturer's comprehensive tests. Also, use the program
HDAT2 or similar to examine SMART data, to find out if the drive
already has defective sectors, either replaced or not... Ben Myers

Ant

On 8/10/2011 6:37 AM PT, Ben Myers typed:

> It's been a while, but I think you can download the Dell diagnostics
> for this model from the Dell web site and run the test selectively.
> Better still, determine the manufacturer of the hard drive, download
> and run the manufacturer's comprehensive tests. Also, use the program
> HDAT2 or similar to examine SMART data, to find out if the drive
> already has defective sectors, either replaced or not... Ben Myers

Isn't this the same Dell diagnostics that came with the computer's HDD?
Is the web site's version booted from disc/USB flash media (don't want
to run it in this possible broken 64-bit W7 HPE)?
--
"Everything tastes better at a picnic... the ants, the sand,
everything." --unknown

Ant

On 8/10/2011 6:37 AM PT, Ben Myers typed:

> It's been a while, but I think you can download the Dell diagnostics
> for this model from the Dell web site and run the test selectively.
> Better still, determine the manufacturer of the hard drive, download
> and run the manufacturer's comprehensive tests. Also, use the program
> HDAT2 or similar to examine SMART data, to find out if the drive
> already has defective sectors, either replaced or not... Ben Myers

Also, I don't need to test the HDDs. I just need to test the PC without
interactions.
--
"For an ant to have wings would be his (her) undoing." --Iranian