Running a Sun Storage Model 100 under WinNT or Win2k

Paul Morriss

Hi,
I have recently got my hands on a Sun Storage Array Model 100 (the 30
drive unit) which has fibre channel connectors, does anyone know if it's
possible to connect this up to a Windows based machine as the Fibre
controller is a 64bit PCI card.

Thanks

Paul

Paul Morriss

I am in the unfortunate situation where by the company are willing to buy
lots of expensive PC based equipment thats "off the shelf" but point blank
refuse to buy Sun workstations.

The machine it will be connecting to is a 32 bit PC system with an Emulex
LP8000 card in.

Helllp

Paul

"Daniel C. Kreuzer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)85.net...
> Paul Morriss <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have recently got my hands on a Sun Storage Array Model 100 (the 30
> > drive unit) which has fibre channel connectors, does anyone know if it's
> > possible to connect this up to a Windows based machine as the Fibre
> > controller is a 64bit PCI card.

> Something from Sun on a Windoze playstation? Brrrrrrrr
>
> *SCNR* )
>
> Greetz
> Daniel

Daniel C. Kreuzer

Paul Morriss <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have recently got my hands on a Sun Storage Array Model 100 (the 30
> drive unit) which has fibre channel connectors, does anyone know if it's
> possible to connect this up to a Windows based machine as the Fibre
> controller is a 64bit PCI card.

Something from Sun on a Windoze playstation? Brrrrrrrr

*SCNR* )

Greetz
Daniel

Anthony Mandic

Paul Morriss wrote:

> I have recently got my hands on a Sun Storage Array Model 100 (the 30
> drive unit) which has fibre channel connectors, does anyone know if it's
> possible to connect this up to a Windows based machine as the Fibre
> controller is a 64bit PCI card.

No, it won't work. The fibre channel is an older, slower version
that's not widely supported.

-am 2003

Paul Morriss

Can the fibre channel controllers be changed or frigged to make it
compatible?

"Anthony Mandic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Paul Morriss wrote:
>
> > I have recently got my hands on a Sun Storage Array Model 100 (the 30
> > drive unit) which has fibre channel connectors, does anyone know if it's
> > possible to connect this up to a Windows based machine as the Fibre
> > controller is a 64bit PCI card.

> No, it won't work. The fibre channel is an older, slower version
> that's not widely supported.
>
> -am 2003

Lars Tunkrans

Paul Morriss wrote:
> Can the fibre channel controllers be changed or frigged to make it
> compatible?
>
> "Anthony Mandic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Paul Morriss wrote:
>>

>>> I have recently got my hands on a Sun Storage Array Model 100(the 30
>>>drive unit) which has fibre channel connectors, does anyone know if it's
>>>possible to connect this up to a Windows based machine as the Fibre
>>>controller is a 64bit PCI card.

>>No, it won't work. The fibre channel is an older, slower version
>>that's not widely supported.
>>
>>-am 2003

The Sun Storage Array Model 100 used the
25 MByte/s generation 1 Fiberchannel

This was in the 1995 timeframe

If you want to use that array you will need
a Sun Workstation like the Sparcstation 20
or Ultra 1 or Ultra 2 with the SBUS SUN
25 MB/s fibrechannel card.

Lars Tunkrans
smtp: lars dot tunkrans at bredband dot net

Emmanuel Florac

Dans article <ovR0b.67549$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) disait...

> The Sun Storage Array Model 100 used the
> 25 MByte/s generation 1 Fiberchannel

Theorically 1GB FC should be compatible, isn't it?

--
Quis, quid, ubi, quibus auxiliis, cur, quomodo, quando?

P4I Fire Dragon: Floppy Won't Write under Win2k, OK under DOS and Win98 ... ? aekalman Soyo 5 05-23-2004 05:13 PM
FS: Sun 20 Model 50 w/ mit 20" Sun (Sony Trinitron) Monitor f. EUR 100 in Berlin (self-pickup only) nur Selbstabholer bitte stefan j. Sun Hardware 0 02-25-2004 02:09 PM
865PERL & WinNT ? J CASTRONOVO Intel 0 01-01-2004 04:29 AM
Sharing HP Laserjet 1000 across network on a WinNT machine Lemur HP 0 09-13-2003 02:10 AM
Max drive capacity of a Sun Storage Array Model 100 Paul Morriss Sun Hardware 2 08-28-2003 08:56 AM