Running XP on a ProLiant server?

Victor Bien

Has anyone tried and succeeded in doing this? Why?

Well I like the beefy construction of these servers, you can buy older models on eBay cheap and for now want to be able to run XP because I don't know whether all applications a client runs will run on WSFSB 2003. The problem, as always, are drivers. HP only provide drivers for server operating systems. Are there third party suppliers who have generic XP drivers that will work on say a ProLiant ML110 G3 or G4?

Of course an alternative is to dive in and try and see what applications will run on WSFSB which come with these machines. An important program is Lotus Smart Suite. I know Firefox works; not sure about Outlook Express.

Thanks

--
To reply by e-mail edit this address to the correct form: vbien at attglobal dot net

Benjamin Gawert

On 28/11/2011 07:25, * Victor Bien:
> Has anyone tried and succeeded in doing this?

Yes.

> Why?
> Well I like the beefy construction of these servers, you can buy older
> models on eBay cheap

Well, they are cheap for a reason. They are slow by today's standards,
generally noisy, and consume a lot of electricity.

> and for now want to be able to run XP because I
> don't know whether all applications a client runs will run on WSFSB
> 2003.

What do you mean with 'WSFSB 2003'?

> The problem, as always, are drivers. HP only provide drivers for
> server operating systems. Are there third party suppliers who have
> generic XP drivers that will work on say a ProLiant ML110 G3 or G4?

Windows Server 2003 drivers and Windows 2000 Server drivers usually work
just fine under Windowsxp.

> Of course an alternative is to dive in and try and see what applications
> will run on WSFSB which come with these machines. An important program
> is Lotus Smart Suite. I know Firefox works; not sure about Outlook Express.

If 'WSFSB 2003' means Windows Server 2003: it basically runs all
applications that run on Windowsxp. Which, considering that the code
base of both is very similar, should not be surprising.

Victor Bien

On 2/12/2011 5:08 PM, Benjamin Gawert wrote:
> On 28/11/2011 07:25, * Victor Bien:
>> Has anyone tried and succeeded in doing this?

> Yes.
>
>> Why?
>> Well I like the beefy construction of these servers, you can buy older
>> models on eBay cheap

> Well, they are cheap for a reason. They are slow by today's standards,
> generally noisy, and consume a lot of electricity.
>
>> and for now want to be able to run XP because I
>> don't know whether all applications a client runs will run on WSFSB
>> 2003.

> What do you mean with 'WSFSB 2003'?
>
>> The problem, as always, are drivers. HP only provide drivers for
>> server operating systems. Are there third party suppliers who have
>> generic XP drivers that will work on say a ProLiant ML110 G3 or G4?

> Windows Server 2003 drivers and Windows 2000 Server drivers usually work
> just fine under Windowsxp.
>
>> Of course an alternative is to dive in and try and see what applications
>> will run on WSFSB which come with these machines. An important program
>> is Lotus Smart Suite. I know Firefox works; not sure about Outlook
>> Express.

> If 'WSFSB 2003' means Windows Server 2003: it basically runs all
> applications that run on Windowsxp. Which, considering that the code
> base of both is very similar, should not be surprising.

Since writing this I've successfully installed XP SP3 on a ProLiant
ML110 G3. This is low end server machine and does not consume too much
electricity - the power supply unit is only rated at 350 W which is
smaller than the power supplies used on some current home desktops.

The main thing I was missing was that the HP driver packs such as
cp007490.exe - for the embedded SATA RAID controller driver has an
"Extract" button as well as the "Install" button when you run it. I was
rushing into things and tried clicking "Install" and promptly got a
message saying I could not install it because the os is not supported -
it would only work on Window Server 2003. (WSFSB is short for Windows
Server for small business an abbreviation which quite a few people have
used so I just copied them).

Only running into difficulties with trying to track down software
elsewhere and revisiting the cp###.exe files and using "Extract" did
installing the required drivers turn out to be a piece of cake!

Yes I know that XP and WS2003 are similar which is why I thought my
whole concept had a good chance of working - and now it has!

While the machine is a bit old it is not that old - it was built in
2005. The built-in NIC is gigabit capable; it has 2 GB RAM which is
adequate for what I want and it has a built-in Adaptec SATA RAID
controller key for data security. The video is low powered but as a
machine playng a server role that's not important - it'll do for
composing documents and e-mail. If more turn up on eBay cheap I'll
certainly snap a few more up!

--
(If emailing edit the following into the correct form: vbien at
attglobal dot net, thanks).